• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Perma ban: RJKarl

Oppressor...or one posturing as superior.

Not that this ever happens on an internet message board.

When somebody says for instance "yes Massa" they are typically being critical of the person who is the perceived oppressor in that situation. Are they doing it in an insensitive way? perhaps. But it is absolutely hyperbole.

And hyperbole is a rhetorical device, so my original statement was factually correct.

Do people actually use this phrase? They should stop.

Do people actually use this phrase? They should stop.

I will let you tell them people they should stop. Let me know when you tell them. I will share it with my AA clients. I am sure they will all be grateful and honored.

Performing the voice of a slave is certainly rhetorical but it isn't hyperbole or auxesis.

It's also something you see a lot alongside other examples of racism or anti-semitism on 4 or 8chan

See: "we wuz kangs" (or "kangz n shiet") another racist caricature of patois

I will defer to the expert here and acknowledge that it is indeed a rhetorical device, one that sounds real racist and shitty coming from an old white dude.

Thought rj couldn’t get more similar to trump and then his buddy defends his shittiness by calling it locker room talk. Awesome.

I will let you tell them people they should stop. Let me know when you tell them. I will share it with my AA clients. I am sure they will all be grateful and honored.

You seem like a piece of shit.

I disagree that it isn't hyperbole. He is suggesting an exaggerated relationship with the other poster (master/slave) that isn't meant to be taken literally.

As to what they say on 4chan and 8chan, I never frequent the places.

I will defer to the expert here and acknowledge that it is indeed a rhetorical device, one that sounds real racist and shitty coming from an old white dude.

rhetoric is also open to about a thousand definitions (not hyperbole) so ymmv depending on who you're in the car with - though it's certainly not dialectic or argument

but calling it a rhetorical device instead of a derogatory imitation or racist caricature or racialized performance is also certainly a rhetorical choice

I think it is generational. We called each other retards in grade school as well.

And you are not in grade school anymore. I don't think you are out there using that word in 2021. Which is different than rj continuing to use that racist language as an almost 70 year old man.

You seem like a piece of shit.

That, too, might be an upgrade.
Is that the best you have?
You might have family members who are embarrassed if it is. Lot of education expended got that to be your most articulate response...

And you are not in grade school anymore. I don't think you are out there using that word in 2021. Which is different than rj continuing to use that racist language as an almost 70 year old man.

I don't and I agree it is insensitive.

I also think it insensitive to call somebody a piece of shit or a shitty boomer.

i feel like whenever people say a simple form of exaggeration is hyperbole that we're actually getting closer to the rhetorical purpose of the word - you're attempting to make your point seem more important/immediate than it actually is (ex. Said of a scratch: Look at this wound!)

so in my mind mimesis isn't really hyperbole, it's just performance

thoughts phan?

rhetoric is also open to about a thousand definitions (not hyperbole) so ymmv depending on who you're in the car with - though it's certainly not dialectic or argument

but calling it a rhetorical device instead of a derogatory imitation or racist caricature or racialized performance is also certainly a rhetorical choice

I am looking to RJs intention, and I don't think his primary intention was derogatory towards a black person. It was being derogatory against the person he made the statement against.

I don't and I agree it is insensitive.

I also think it insensitive to call somebody a piece of shit or a shitty boomer.

Do you think calling someone a piece of shit is the same level of insensitivity as using slave patois?

I am looking to RJs intention, and I don't think his primary intention was derogatory towards a black person. It was being derogatory against the person he made the statement against.

I don't know RJs intention either, but what he wrote bears a performance that's figuratively pretty similar to racist shit elsewhere (see "we wuz kangs").

I'd add that you probably don't need to target an individual to participate in speech targeted against a certain group of people either. Intentionality is important, sure, but it can't be the only metric for evaluating someone's words.

Back