• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Perma ban: RJKarl

Such a wide range of emotions and opinions on this thread. So many that it would take me longer to list them than to complete the Murph-challenge-thingy. Oh, and all y'all throwin' around that Latin willy-nilly: I'm watching. ;)

Such a wide range of emotions and opinions on this thread. So many that it would take me longer to list them than to complete the Murph-challenge-thingy. Oh, and all y'all throwin' around that Latin willy-nilly: I'm watching. ;)

I'd tell you illegitimi non carborundum but it wouldn't be right. ;)

God I'm a dumb sunnuvabitch because I am not following this conversation.

It's all good, Creamy...because it is pretty damn esoteric. Cod Latin, or Dog Latin is not classical Latin per se, but instead "made up" Latin. The phrase sailor proffered is an old phrase for "don't let the bastards wear you down". The syntax used is a bit lacking, if it's to be 'proper', that is. Latin mottos can be a bit like that sometimes. They tend to leave out words and instead imply them in usage.

Chin up, old chap, and don't underestimate yourself. :)

Perhaps there is a lesson for us all in that old dog Latin phrase as well.

Lovely description. And "carborundorum" isn't a real word, it just "looks" latinate, like a genitive plural gerund.

My reference was to Margaret Atwood's novel "The Handmaid's Tale," where a version of that old phrase is sort of central to the plot.

Lovely description. And "carborundorum" isn't a real word, it just "looks" latinate, like a genitive plural gerund.

My reference was to Margaret Atwood's novel "The Handmaid's Tale," where a version of that old phrase is sort of central to the plot.

Well, I missed the novel. I'll backtrack.

Actually, it's "carborundum" (as I've read it, which is made up, as far as I can tell); which is indeed a gerundive form...so, an -ing word. In this case "not being worn down by the bastards". I'm not sure where the passive voice is to come from, because there's no form of the verb to be here (which, if it was, borders on the dreaded passive periphrastic)... the case of carborundum is nominative (neuter singular). At any rate...I'll stop (this Latin morphology has its issues)...this is way too out there...even for OGB. Probably better than arguing about RJ, though.

When my local LEA made business cards for us teachers (at the state's behest) several years ago (when teachers needed to be more business-like?), I used to sidle up to folks at social functions, introduce myself, give them a card and say, "If you need any Latin, just give me a call." ;)

Well, I missed the novel. I'll backtrack.

Actually, it's "carborundum" (as I've read it, which is made up, as far as I can tell); which is indeed a gerundive form...so, an -ing word. In this case "not being worn down by the bastards". I'm not sure where the passive voice is to come from, because there's no form of the verb to be here (which, if it was, borders on the dreaded passive periphrastic)... the case of carborundum is nominative (neuter singular). At any rate...I'll stop (this Latin morphology has its issues)...this is way too out there...even for OGB. Probably better than arguing about RJ, though.

When my local LEA made business cards for us teachers (at the state's behest) several years ago (when teachers needed to be more business-like?), I used to sidle up to folks at social functions, introduce myself, give them a card and say, "If you need any Latin, just give me a call." ;)

In the novel it is rendered as "Nolite te bastardes carborundorum" (hence my responding to a different invented declension). This version introduces a whole bunch of fun grammatical nonsense. (i.e. 2nd plural subject and 2nd singular object with no verb intervening)

Women all over the world have this tattooed on their bodies.

(Which, if they've read the novel closely, is not the inspirational maxim they think it is)

In the novel it is rendered as "Nolite te bastardes carborundorum" (hence my responding to a different invented declension). This version introduces a whole bunch of fun grammatical nonsense. (i.e. 2nd plural subject and 2nd singular object with no verb intervening)

Women all over the world have this tattooed on their bodies.

(Which, if they've read the novel closely, is not the inspirational maxim they think it is)

Yeah, that's wack...and I'm not going to wade any deeper into that grammatical morass.

I see Latin tattoos from time to time, and I'm like, I'd a-been glad to consult with you before you committed there.

I see Latin tattoos from time to time, and I'm like, I'd a-been glad to consult with you before you committed there.

Oh yes, I love when universities install a memorial or plaque or something with some atrociously-rendered phrase and it's like you have an entire department on campus dedicated to teaching Latin grammar. Come on!

My sister wrote all the Latin on the tv show Reign, so if you ever wonder why witches in sixteenth-century Scotland are speaking perfect classical latin that's why.

I strongly believe witches would prefer ecclesiastical latin

We've hit 1/4 of the milestone to reinstate RJ with full posting rights. 100 pages of non spam conversation and RJ gets his freedom back.

Oh yes, I love when universities install a memorial or plaque or something with some atrociously-rendered phrase and it's like you have an entire department on campus dedicated to teaching Latin grammar. Come on!

My sister wrote all the Latin on the tv show Reign, so if you ever wonder why witches in sixteenth-century Scotland are speaking perfect classical latin that's why.

I strongly believe witches would prefer ecclesiastical latin

Your sister sounds like one cool person! Yeah, you'd think that the ecclesiastical Latin would "carry the weight"! :)

The whole language/school irony will never get lost on me. I see shit all the time (especially in English), where I'm like, "You guys do know you're in the education business, right?" Standards. Let's hear it for 'em.

Back