• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat thread 95: old people can't hang anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zillicoah? Ha, we went on Saturday when it was pouring but the rain let up after about an hour and gave us that awesome double rainbow.

Went to Cellarest on Sunday afternoon because the weather was just too perfect. Two ships passing in the night.

That's a good tradition.

yeah. there were like 5 cars waiting outside the fence to be let in and a guy standing there. went to Archetype instead. I don't think their beer is great, but they have a nice new roof deck.

need to hit Cellarest. It looked packed on Sunday.

Oh yeah the pizza place is banging. There's also new fitness (F# something) place there that was outside setting up a demo last Friday with a bunch of cones. However the families all started showing up and letting their kids run wild, who naturally ran over and kicked all the cones out of place and caused a general raucous. It was great.

But to answer your original question, yes it would be a great place for the CT meet up.

The absolute best part of working out at 4 in the morning is the fact that there's nobody else around. I don't understand the desire to have people watch you exercise.

brewery hopping in asheville is indeed phenom

I can't imagine growing up in W-S and moving back there.

Dude Winston is pretty tight when you enter dad life. We have grandparents providing free child care. Cost of living is reasonable. We just bought a house that would cost $600-700K in Charlotte for.... not that amount.

I've actually had three different HS friends reach out to me in the last couple of months about my thoughts on moving back. One just put an offer on a house in Winston this week. Where do they live now? Charlotte.

The absolute best part of working out at 4 in the morning is the fact that there's nobody else around. I don't understand the desire to have people watch you exercise.

I run 3-4 times a week but absolutely do not enjoy running on busy roads bc of the thought of everybody watching me.

I run 3-4 times a week but absolutely do not enjoy running on busy roads bc of the thought of everybody watching me.

I don't like the idea of people seeing me in my running shorts.

TBF though they always have footie on at Cugino Formo (Incendiary adjacent pizza) and the staff watches Napoli matches, Peyton doesn't do that at Mission.

So which places feels more Napoletana is in question. I don't see any Maradona jerseys hanging at Mission.

Mission has had bigger footie matches on that I recall, but yeah never w/volume. Peyton cares a lot about atmosphere. Counterpoint is that GOAT Bobby Muuss has clearly staked it as his favorite and even has an off-menu regular order.

You also kind of make my point... Cugino Forno is just copying the bare minimum culture adjacent aesthetic and calling it authentic while Peyton has been putting in the work to actually make what might be the best pizza Napoletana on the east coast.

The latter isn't always preferable if you're in groups, or want to split pizzas, or not spend $16 on a single-person pie, or are drinking and chatting and eating on and off, so I don't begrudge people for eating Cugino. I just wish they'd call it "good-ass wood fired pizzas" instead of pretending it's something it's not.

Dude Winston is pretty tight when you enter dad life. We have grandparents providing free child care. Cost of living is reasonable. We just bought a house that would cost $600-700K in Charlotte for.... not that amount.

I've actually had three different HS friends reach out to me in the last couple of months about my thoughts on moving back. One just put an offer on a house in Winston this week. Where do they live now? Charlotte.

Trying to imagine it, but I'm going to need some serious drugs.

Got on the scale this morning and I need to lose 6-7 pounds quick. I think I was doing okay until last week and the Augusta trip did me in. Tons of beer, sandwiches, oysters, etc, followed up by Wendy's drive-thru on the way back to The CLT. Walked a lot but not enough to match my intake.

Headed to Sabor for Taco Tuesday soon.

Last edited:
yeah. there were like 5 cars waiting outside the fence to be let in and a guy standing there. went to Archetype instead. I don't think their beer is great, but they have a nice new roof deck.

need to hit Cellarest. It looked packed on Sunday.

Yeah. Zillicoah is doing the rules guidance/age check thing at the gate now. They told us Saturday that it was 21+ only anyway right now, so you were probably better off going elsewhere if you had the kiddo.

I haven't even checked out the roof deck yet at A-type, dang, you could probably have spotted our build from there. Their beer has improved in the last year, but yeah their biggest draw is definitely location and space.

Cellarest is great. We always get lucky and show up right when there are plenty of open tables and then it seems to fill up fast after.

is hoots still around? frequented it every now & then when we would go to the porch

Yeah I completely forgot about them. Also one of the earliest breweries and probably more in line w/Small Batch in terms of production. They have benefitted greatly from being next to The Porch :). Not sure if they've opened up their second spot on Trade St or not.

The incendiary pizza place is great especially if you're drunk (which you likely will be with a brewery next door). No, it's not as good as Mission, but it hits the spot and the bigger sizes work better for people having beers IMO. Not gonna dock them points just because they call it something it really isn't.

The incendiary pizza place is great especially if you're drunk (which you likely will be with a brewery next door). No, it's not as good as Mission, but it hits the spot and the bigger sizes work better for people having beers IMO. Not gonna dock them points just because they call it something it really isn't.

They literally say this on their website!

"Staying true to tradition, our Pizza Napoletana is as authentic as it gets! "

we are seriously considering moving back to Winston at some point, although that timeline could be delayed if I get the job I'm interviewing for. gimme some #vibes, CT. Got round 3 today at 2.

Mission has had bigger footie matches on that I recall, but yeah never w/volume. Peyton cares a lot about atmosphere. Counterpoint is that GOAT Bobby Muuss has clearly staked it as his favorite and even has an off-menu regular order.

You also kind of make my point... Cugino Forno is just copying the bare minimum culture adjacent aesthetic and calling it authentic while Peyton has been putting in the work to actually make what might be the best pizza Napoletana on the east coast.

The latter isn't always preferable if you're in groups, or want to split pizzas, or not spend $16 on a single-person pie, or are drinking and chatting and eating on and off, so I don't begrudge people for eating Cugino. I just wish they'd call it "good-ass wood fired pizzas" instead of pretending it's something it's not.

whoa is this true? not sure when i am making it back to WS but i will have to go here when i do. i love pizza

we are seriously considering moving back to Winston at some point, although that timeline could be delayed if I get the job I'm interviewing for. gimme some #vibes, CT. Got round 3 today at 2.

vibes!!

Dudes, the allergies this season are as bad as I can remember. I've had trouble breathing for over a week now and it looks like another 3-5 weeks of this shit.

Anyone else having usually worse allergy problems this pollen season?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back