• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat thread 95: old people can't hang anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got an Ooni Koda as well and we make pizzas just about every Sunday night. It's taken me a while to get dialed in, but we've had a lot of fun with it.

I think this was the 3rd one I made. Definitely learned you need a good pizza peel, had a shitty one and lost the 2nd pizza. Made enough dough balls to have a couple failures though.

IMG-0169.jpg

For a first attempt I was definitely psyched about how good it was, and the oven is awesome. Looking forward to getting a sourdough starter going.

Should I also have waited in line to take my picture with the wings in the Gulch, #whatliftsyou ?

I am saying what use to be an enjoyable part of the city no longer is. I also did some good hikes and ate some some hot chicken, but the Broadway aspect of Nashville which once was a fun place to drink beers and listen to live music has become a caricature of its former self.

But it has a river, which makes it great !

Interesting stuff (and not only bc I do this for a living). Some lose terminology in the thread that could be misleading (e.g. "inscribed," "no errors or errata") but cool textual record. I'm interested in the fact they've designed the space like a western library when people aren't taking out woodcuts to read: those are the *source* for extant texts rather than the yet themselves. Nobody would have been reading standing type in the hand press period, for example. I wonder if they ever print with them?

I think this was the 3rd one I made. Definitely learned you need a good pizza peel, had a shitty one and lost the 2nd pizza. Made enough dough balls to have a couple failures though.

IMG-0169.jpg

For a first attempt I was definitely psyched about how good it was, and the oven is awesome. Looking forward to getting a sourdough starter going.

$500 for a pizza oven that makes pizzas like that one at a time ?

$500 for a pizza oven that makes pizzas like that one at a time ?

1. It was a gift, but I'd probably buy it anyway. $349 for the 12".
2. 950 degree oven that heats up in a few minutes has more uses than pizza. Seared some great steaks in it last week. Much hotter than most gas grills, much faster than an Egg.
3. The pizzas take 60 seconds to cook, so the "one at a time" thing isn't much of a dealbreaker.

I’ve had good luck putting semolina flour in the peel - try that. Also, picking up one corner of the pizza and blowing air underneath until it floats on the peel can help you get a good launch off the peel.

It’s Myrtle Beach without the beach.

watch out for the blood and the mud and the beer.

i was there 2 years ago with the family for spring break. hit up dollywood (wife love love loves dolly parton) and it was a really good time. it was tuesday or something and the park was not very crowded. lines were short. park was clean and staffed by retirees rather than kids that did not give a shit so it was a nice experience. one of the roller coasters was really fun for one that a 6 year was tall enough to ride. went on that 5-6 times in a row with 5 minute wait time.

on the other hand in gatlin-myrtle-burg itself i saw a bald, obese, police academy washout walking around scanning the crowd with a pistol half hidden under his too small XXXXL t-shirt while he carried a police baton. pretty sure he was looking for dangerous muslims. i felt much safer having him on the job.

Kudos to your guys for trying, but pizza is one of those things I just have no desire to make at home. Its always going to taste better coming from your preferred pizza place. Plus when you order ahead and its ready for pickup in 20-30 mins, that gives you the perfect amount of time to pick up beers on the way.

Order pizza on the way to pick it up and drink beer at the bar while you wait.

Also lolz at PH thinking that Gatlinburg is some quaint mountain vacation spot. My advice would be to get the Pfizer and the Moderna before going.

we make pizza like once a week. super easy.

make a batch of dough and cut it into some smaller portions and then thaw it out the night of.

i'm really bad at dough-making crust tossing/rolling

just too much for my feeble mind and hands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back