• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat thread 95: old people can't hang anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm making the point that he engages service providers to do work that he COULD do, in exchange for consideration. I'm not clear on why child care in the home somehow is different

other than he has no kids and thinks that you can raise a functioning child with a tv and and ipad

Gotta get that nanny to fold the clothes and wash/put away the dishes.

have you ever heard of an executive assistant doing any of those things? Do you pay someone to make travel reservations for you? How about ordering lunch for you and your clients that you're meeting with, or setting up a reservation? You're paying them to perform a job; if there are things that aren't in the purview of their work you have to collectively establish that.

I have two executive assistants who work at my firm, and my bosses don't have any problem calling it a luxury

got it. having someone else do work for you that is not the best use of your time is luxury/snooty. glad we had this chat.

The economics of childcare are a bit insane

If my wife or I quit my job I don’t think we’d be able to pay the mortgage very comfortably

But if we both keep working the $3k a month childcare wipes out the better part of one of our salaries

So we could either move and one of us quit or deal with the cost

Lots of countries this isn’t an issue

what if you labeled the job "everything I would do at home during the day if I didn't have a full time job." We don't need to call it nanny, or chef, or groundskeeper, or butler, or scullery maid. Kind of all-encompassing instead

If my wife or I quit my job I don’t think we’d be able to pay the mortgage very comfortably

But if we both keep working the $3k a month childcare wipes out the better part of one of our salaries

Go to Walmart
buy a tent or a pack and play for $50
put child inside

BOOM just saved you $35,950 per YEAR

Do your nannies do your laundry as well as your kids? Can they take your cars in for an oil change? What else can they do? The whole concept is a bit foreign to those that didn't grow up around wealth.

I do not have kids nor do I have a nanny for said nonexistent kids, but I used to live close to a nicer laundromat. On Thursdays they did half price wash and fold service. I would drop it off on my way to work and pick up on the way back. About $7 for a weeks worth of laundry, I’d give a $10. It’s quite possibly one of the most luxurious things I’ve ever done. Would do it still if I was still in Austin.

lol, can't watch a kid if you're actually working from home, and if all your preferred daycares are filled up to a certain date you have to fill the childcare gap somehow

So you're willing to pay someone else to raise your kid to save like a grand a month?

we've hit a new level of dad-level-trolling where everyone knows the person is trolling but as the groans increase so does the performance

we've hit a new level of dad-level-trolling where everyone knows the person is trolling but as the groans increase so does the performance

A lot of smart people on this thread just can’t help defending their choices to have kids against Palma obviously being Palma. A masterful performance.

We also had a cage for our kid towards the beginning of wife working from home, but we've somewhat toddler proofed the house and now she is free range.

The economics of childcare are definitely insane, trying to raise your income is really the only solution I’ve found to help

I made a joke to my in-laws about leaving my niece in a cage while we all ran an errand together and thankfully that’s the only time I’ve seen their look of pure horror

Sure, the costs are insane. Which is why if you're both working from home I'd imagine it'd make some sense to take advantage and save on the costs altogether. Don't babies sleep like 12 hours a day?

My rock bottom from a kid financial standpoint was when I saved like $200 buying Kirkland formula and putting it in Similac containers to trick my wife

I actually tricked her which is a pretty hard task

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back