• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat thread 95: old people can't hang anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just walked into the faculty bathroom after a female teacher and there was piss all over the toilet seat and now I'm hella confused.
Not really that difficult to figure out, if you think about it...

But probably you don't want to think too much about your colleagues' bathroom habits

ph fella you gotta start reading your posts before you hit send

I just walked into the faculty bathroom after a female teacher and there was piss all over the toilet seat and now I'm hella confused.

when i bartended once upon a time the women's bathroom was nearly always in far worse shape than the dude's. i was shocked at how awful it could be. guys just seemed to not care. women seemed to be spiteful about how they messed it up for other people.

I never tended bar or worked food

I'm sure I over-romanticize bartending, but seems like it could be a good gig at the right spot

when you are young, living that night life, partying etc can be lots of fun. working nights and not seeing the sun gets old. your friends will eventually stop dropping by your spot even with the hookup. you have to work prime nights and they have to work the next day on your days off. your friends/significant others go to cool stuff on fri-sat etc. you have to leave that bbq early to go run happy hour. you end up spending a lot less time with your "friends" and have a lot of "restaurant friends." it was fun for awhile but got old.

being older with a family? no way. its a tough life.

Bar backing in highschool/college is the favorite job I've ever had.

My goal is to walk away from the corporate world and pour beer somewhere eventually.

I'm sure I over-romanticize bartending, but seems like it could be a good gig at the right spot

have done a little bit of both

DieHardDeac's 40th bday was a blast to bartend, also got great tips

I worked in a couple kitchens and the way most sitcoms and comedies portray the kitchen staff is not too far off. I met some really out there people. Everyone from people who recently got out of prison to a woman getting her doctorate in library sciences (maybe). Especially when I did it in SC, it seemed like everyday something was going on. The movie Waiting was pretty spot on.

yeah, the hours are really off-putting for bar work and you definitely see very insular industry friend groups among those in that line of work

I think the idea of doing it as a grad student or working a neighborhood spot as a semi-retiree, perhaps on a part-time basis, could be a good fit for what I think I'd like about it

ship has sailed on the former though

when you are young, living that night life, partying etc can be lots of fun. working nights and not seeing the sun gets old. your friends will eventually stop dropping by your spot even with the hookup. you have to work prime nights and they have to work the next day on your days off. your friends/significant others go to cool stuff on fri-sat etc. you have to leave that bbq early to go run happy hour. you end up spending a lot less time with your "friends" and have a lot of "restaurant friends." it was fun for awhile but got old.

being older with a family? no way. its a tough life.

Yeah, there were some similarities with working as a river guide and for the canoe outfitters. You knew you were working starting very early every Saturday and Sunday and the work was physically demanding so you didn't want to do it with a hangover, and nobody really wants to throw down on a random Tuesday night in June or July.

I worked at the Bennigan’s in Winston for a summer. Every guy in the kitchen learned to cook in jail. It was a weird mix of people and a very strong rift between those working for beer money and those working to support their kid(s).

A few days late on this one, but definitely bottom 1% on folding a fitted sheet.....

I sometimes miss the restaurant life. I'm bottom 1% at being a morning person, so it fit me pretty well. I have a friend that never left the place we worked in college. He didn't move into a management role or anything like that. He still waits tables and picks up a kitchen shift occasionally. I stopped by last summer on a day he was working and it was kind of weird to see 35 year old him living the exact same life we lived at 21.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back