• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat thread 95: old people can't hang anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've previously had to use up so much of my "vacations" on just visiting family spread all over. This whole remoteness that came from COVID is really going to open up my abilities to go visit people without it eating into my vacation hours.

I was headhunted by a big consulting firm this year offering wheelbarrows of money, pretty sure for covid stuff, the lifestyle was a hard pass. Also one of the partners, using the real life example of the side business he bought for his wife to occupy her time, really did not like answers that involved killing less people but losing more money.

i work on most vacations but i try to accomodate my employees who don't want to.

for example - going to Highlands next month for a week and i'll probably work most days from 7-11am, then knock off so we can enjoy lunch, afternoon, dinner, evening. Bed around 11; repeat. I don't get too far behind at work and can deal with any emergencies, and I still get a vacation.

when I go to Europe this fall, i'll prob disconnect more. Last time i was over there i only worked for a few hours of the whole trip.

I was headhunted by a big consulting firm this year offering wheelbarrows of money, pretty sure for covid stuff, the lifestyle was a hard pass. Also one of the partners, using the real life example of the side business he bought for his wife to occupy her time, really did not like answers that involved killing less people but losing more money.

gotta keep that earnings per unit up!

I also have unlimited vacation and don't have to track days. I get paid for the work I do and the revenue I bring in. So I get as much time off as I need, but monitor that and my earnings against each other.

I also have unlimited vacation and don't have to track days. I get paid for the work I do and the revenue I bring in. So I get as much time off as I need, but monitor that and my earnings against each other.

exactly, it's a trick

total bleed of work into non-work life and this sense that you could/should always be earning more

I technically am compensated based on performance but in reality I know that I’ll be paid X + a bonus of 30-50% of X no matter how good a year I produce. Doesn’t exactly provide the kind of incentive they intended.

Palma, my wife is interviewing nannies tonight, should she conference you in?

What are you planning on paying this person?

I’m pretty sure the people that moved in behind my house have an indentured servant. Asian lady working in the garden 10+ hours every day wearing the same clothes, I can see is she’s available for child care duties.

If you’re vaccinated live you’re fucking life, outside of that it’s just messaging so that people that aren’t will comply with public health measures. It’s just stick stick instead of carrot and stick, should have made vaccine passports, freedom of movement, and indoor dining for fully vaccinated people, and exclude anyone that isn’t. Get vaccinated 2 weeks later live as you please!

Bingo. Thank you Doctor Louis Gossett Jr.

i can't get a vaccine yet. I'm still locked down.

giphy.gif

Fucking Canada, dude. I feel for you.

speaking of #CLIENTS, whatever happened to WakeGal? is she serving time for killing her MIL?

WakeGal is about to have a baby

Right around nunya

Not sure what that means, but let's at least acknowledge we went relatively quickly from knowing you as the guy who'd start a thread because ya spent $20 on a watter bottle to living that sweet Nanny life. Musta been that $25k raise.

I felt like we had this thread on this board before, but did a lot of searching and couldn't find it. Here are some of mine:

02-5g9dj27ZzuP_cLKHoU_CSA90Wx3AJdd6BFpZfMByclOLp5FA86A-JUTG5iGMKrdE7W3CQIkrd7gjRwIcl8nFlAWBrsJl34QdhAObzyq7suLwyl-I50oMa8gVxaWJMai2VC59roZ2DACRePANWp3GP9hGzNMRjbfXf1t5LFcqiQNuIupDj6gOaRG3XwQO2O4uQECF4PqzOiTkPgA9hNAh9rRRi672-NeuE4t9p0qU5lovi8xeyRQW3Ctq3uqStLzoilzUpyRJrow6OMD8ldtbMYTR4S3m0RRJVbKkYRn9b58TjEat04TeH9lBbXyKxYhPoe5tvz45Dd9DbH0Q4pFSf

$20 for a water bottle seems like a lot, but I use it every single day, both for hot coffee and ice water. I also bought a lifetime warranty for $5, so I will have it foreva. I also own the Brita water bottle, which I love. For someone who drinks a TON of water, this is crucial.

cWFwsNeHtMuxCWMwCTPc7lSbAh5j-yKM3x6YpVZx5LaKtXjn4tnSfN0w6eHIeCNxYFrFhynT_DCLPxjreKMcLAL1cnFXnHQE4JcF-NPUw7BvLyEzvNu85K7Qcu57TUcPCMcySFjz2Wiy0TXhiRLR3BOQ6qwjM3LYLs4lkjH-QvV2q3564NtwFPiCGvzkyJkj4wpqghkclBpGnNoX5Zg8vLTzTi8

$60ish for this (used), and I also use it every day. It has saved me hundreds on lunch meat, because we just roast chicken/turkey/beef on Sunday and eat sandwiches for at least a week with it.

And I don't have a pic of it, but a tire repair kit + air compressor has saved me tows on 3 occasions now (twice when my spare blew; once on the very busy Verrazzano Bridge outside of Brooklyn).

So, whaddya got? Anybody buy Apple stock in 1980 or anything?

https://www.ogboards.com/forums/showthread.php/11479-Best-purchases-investments-you-ve-ever-made

I'll be fully vaccinated in mid-May and right after my first jab we scheduled a trip to see my parents in Alabama in late June (pray for me) and then a trip over Thanksgiving week and we're looking into an early August trip before the daughter's high school sports kick in. I learned the hard way that I have to spend 10-15 minutes each weekday morning and evening triaging emails when on vacation. I did have some unscheduled #client calls during my last vacation but that was the very beginning of last March when the covid was starting to fuck shit up.

Oh shit my barred owl friend came and hung out on my deck like 10 feet away from me (with a sliding glass door between us). I was mesmerized.
a9823aa8ca48ce9839c363cd97bc7e68.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back