• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat thread 95: old people can't hang anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
my wife is a marketing professional so it's just a constant in my house

did you know a facebook pixel follows you around the internet everywhere you go? and that even if you never had a facebook profile they still have a shadow profile for you based on your friends close to you, which likely contains dozens of lines of personally identifiable information? and that they can still package and sell this information about you without your permission? it is good imo, because capitalism is good by default.

Yeah, but I mean, I needed a new pair of running socks for the Tough Mudder this weekend so I yelled at a circle robot and then a day later there was a pair on my porch.

Last edited:
my wife is a marketing professional so it's just a constant in my house

did you know a facebook pixel follows you around the internet everywhere you go? and that even if you never had a facebook profile they still have a shadow profile for you based on your friends close to you, which likely contains dozens of lines of personally identifiable information? and that they can still package and sell this information about you without your permission? it is good imo, because capitalism is good by default.

so i've beaten the system because i have no friends & no facebook. suck it, facebook.

Is the new apple update a true tracking fix or because apple wants to monopolize all data coming from your phone?

Meh I like being able to yell at a machine while cooking to play any song I wanna hear

I've literally never done any of the function buttons or even changed the power level.

My microwave has various reheat settings for pizza, soup, pasta, plate, veggies, meats with different size options for each. It also has a potato, beverage and popcorn settings for cooking. I haven't the slightest clue what any of them do other than different lengths of time.

yeah, we have a very expensive "speed oven". i've used some of the functions and the speed oven thing a couple times. it's pretty cool (microwave + convection heating) but the damned thing has required repairs 5 times in less than 2 years

mean my parents have a microwave they got for opening a bank account in 1979 that continues to work perfectly

i mean, what are we supposed to do? not use the internet? it totally sucks but t's exhausting being outraged about it

i also refuse any listening devices; i know my phone is probably impossible to turn off but no assistants for me, either

not outraged? just don't do listening devices and am trying to delay the inevitable online-ness of my son as best as i can too.

My microwave has various reheat settings for pizza, soup, pasta, plate, veggies, meats with different size options for each. It also has a potato, beverage and popcorn settings for cooking. I haven't the slightest clue what any of them do other than different lengths of time.

if you use the microwave to reheat pizza, you are a monster

not outraged? just don't do listening devices and am trying to delay the inevitable online-ness of my son as best as i can too.

tenor.gif

i feel like you could attempt to go fully off grid unabomber about it (his manifesto is v good) or you could ignore it wholesale and just engage with everything there is out there, leave your location setting on all the time, ignore privacy/cookie settings and warnings, etc.

or like most of us, just live with a level of knowing you're the product companies are packaging and selling, and just live your life, choosing how much you want to care on a product by product basis.

a friend sent me a link to a pair of sunglasses they had bought on poshmark to ask if i liked them and now i get bombarded with ads for that brand. never even typed the brand name myself.

to be clear i still use amazon dot com

i even have the prime rewards chase credit card

now that i'm feeling better about grocery/store shopping in general it'll be nice to cut back this year on relying so heavily on amazon to bring me my daily shit

you've gotta pick ur battles

If I ever ride the bus again, I will thank the bus driver as I depart. Only in Charlotte.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back