• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat thread 95: old people can't hang anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ate dinner on my patio and got bite by a mosquito for the first time this year. Ts & ps please.

well you better hop to it because somebunny has a wild hare to get you to move to watership down

I loved Watership Down when I was a kid. Still have a copy of it on my bookshelf.

Don't strain yourself against that straw man.

Biff was the one bringing up right wing social worker talking points. I’m arguing against him, not an imagined person. He seems to genuinely care more about damaged property than dead ppl but maybe he doesn’t and he’s just bad at posting his thoughts idk.

I loved Watership Down when I was a kid. Still have a copy of it on my bookshelf.

I read it to my kids. It is a feat to read that out loud. By far ( and unanimously) the favorite of all the books I read to them.

EnIC041XUAMaVK1.jpg

Brasky never should've left Raleigh: just saw they're opening a Torchy's Tacos there.

Some real bad shit went down in Watauga yesterday. 2 deputies dead.

Just wanted to make the observation that there are a lot of non-diversity issues that make some urban schools really shitty.

I say this from experience, as we are one of those families that just made a move out of metro-Atlanta and a solid chunk of our decision had to do with improving schooling and having a better environment in which to raise our kids.

Some examples off the top of my head:
*Wealthier families taking their kids out of public schools and into private schools (which really took off around here when the pandemic started)
*Overcrowding
*Politics influencing every decision
*Huge gap in quality of physical facilities, even within a single district (though this admittedly could be due to diversity issues / politics)

My main point is that I don't think it is accurate to say that anyone who makes a move from an urban area to a more rural area is hindering their children's ability to cope with life.

And in our case, we definitely moved from a wealther area to a much less wealthy area.

Wealthy families pulling their kids from public schools is a “non-diversity issue”?

Wealthy families pulling their kids from public schools is a “non-diversity issue”?

For the district we were in, it was a function of the public schools not being open while the private schools were. So there were a number of families that liked the public school, but wanted their kids to go in-person. So they pulled their kids from the public school and put them in private school. Obviously, that wasn't an option for everyone. But it has HUGE implications now that they schools are starting to reopen... Those were families that were heavily involved in the public school that now don't give a shit.

I guess you can call that a diversity issue. It's really more of a class thing.

But I was only talking about it in terms of the pandemic. Obviously a bigger issue when talking about those decisions being made outside of COVID.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back