• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat thread 95: old people can't hang anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
We do this as well. If anything outside of meat, onions, or garlic stay in the fridge too long, we give them to the chickens for composting.

Do you give your chickens oyster shells?

Do you give your chickens oyster shells?

We tried mixing it in with their grain and having a separate feeder, but they would just dig them out and leave them on the ground. So we started buying the oyster shell fortified pellet feed from TS. When we switched to direct from the mill feed, they were able to add it to the pellet mix.

whoa that's a common phase? tell me more

is it fear of the dark or fear of sleep

I think it's just the coming online and realizing that they're alone for the first time. Both of mine have gone through it, and we bribed the older one out of it when she was 3 and a half with a system of putting sticky notes on her dresser for every night she fell asleep alone, and 10 sticky notes allowed her the opportunity to pick out a toy at Walmart. I don't think it's the dark, because they both sleep with nightlights. I think they just have issue with the concept of being alone once they can actually understand what it entails.

We're stuck in the phase where the 2yo is afraid to sleep by herself so one of us has to lay with her until she falls asleep. I know we should probably nip that shit in the bud, but she's the last kid so we both actually kind of enjoy the whole cuddling her till she falls asleep thing right now.

Posted something about this recently but can't find it. Basically we had a similar situation with our oldest and used the technique with our youngest later.

She would get really upset at bed time when we tried to leave. We started calling it cuddle time. Told her "OK five minutes of cuddles time." She had no concept of time so if we had to do some work it might be a minute. If we we were able/wanted to those five minutes might be 15. The thing that really helped was at the end of those "five minutes" if she complained we would say, "ok... would you like one SPECIAL cuddle minute?" She always said yes and then was ok with us leaving her. Maybe the special extra minute felt like a big win for her. Not sure but it worked for her and her brother later.

I had scrambled eggs with spinach onions green pepper turkey sausage crumbles and feta cheese with a side of toast.

I’m already hungry again.

realizing that there's a you and it has to sleep alone feels like a pretty giant step for subject formation in children and that's just something I hadn't thought about/didn't know if it was common for other parents to have to confront

was running behind this morning so i had some frozen kodiak waffles

I guess the universe has a way of balancing out. We were wayyyy too lucky for the longest time.

Super normal age for some separation anxiety. It'll pass. Everything is a phase.

Our 1.5 yr old just hit this phase for a couple of weeks. He was similarly a very good sleeper (12 hour nights from 2.5 months on for the most part), so it was a rude awakening and gave me lots of flashbacks to month 1 (similarly reminded me how lucky we were). Definitely all just separation anxiety though. We ended up starting to let him sleep w/ a small stuffed Llama (Mama Llama his favorite book) and that helped immensely. IDK if that's good advice or not or we are creating some crazy dependency who knows. Hearing him wake up, find his Llama, and mutter mama to himself repeatedly as he falls back asleep is much better than big crying, though.

[freud]v interesting that the llama is named mama![/freud]

LLAMA LLAMA RED PAJAMA is actually the name of the book, not Mama Llama. Sorry for misleading non-parents. All the parents know what's up.

"Is your mama a llama?" is pretty good, if we are doing kids' book chat again.

Chat thread 95: the champ is here

We got Llama Llama Loves to Read in the mail from Dolly and it’s a regular in the 5 year old’s rotation.

We got Llama Llama Loves to Read in the mail from Dolly and it’s a regular in the 5 year old’s rotation.

Dolly Parton's book program is amazing. We buy plenty of books otherwise, but it's not something I'm constantly researching or keeping up with, so it's nice to get that once-a-month surprise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back