• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat thread 95: old people can't hang anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
is that the Kauaʻi ʻōʻō !! I was listening to a recording of them the other day.

Hawaii is an ecological disaster area.
RIP:
330px-Po%CA%BBouli.jpg

To clarify:

My second "job" out of undergrad was a 6 month internship in Hawaii working with a team trying to save the Po'ouli from extinction. It was a endemic bird with a specialized diet of land snails in the west Maui Mountains, only discovered in 1973 but in 2000 there were only 3 known individuals left. Now there are 0 as the last known individual died from avian malaria in captivity in 2004. I loved living there, I learned so much, and had tons of fun, but the outcome scarred me and Hawaii makes me sad now.

To clarify:

My second "job" out of undergrad was a 6 month internship in Hawaii working with a team trying to save the Po'ouli from extinction. It was a endemic bird with a specialized diet of land snails in the west Maui Mountains, only discovered in 1973 but in 2000 there were only 3 known individuals left. Now there are 0 as the last known individual died from avian malaria in captivity in 2004. I loved living there, I learned so much, and had tons of fun, but the outcome scarred me and Hawaii makes me sad now.

That is sad :-(

How much of their extinction comes down to man-made(?) causes (habitat loss etc.)? Also wow only 3 seems like a crazy long-shot to save the species. Are there any success stories for birds with numbers that low?!

is there a recording of the call?

I'll search for one. I am told it was not a pretty song, more of a chitter chitter call.

Here is a video of the last desperate attempt to save it:

I work with all these people, Jim, Jamie, Trent, Chris, Bill, Marci, about 3 years before this video and we were practicing with the translocation work, by translocating Maui creepers, related but less endangered bird. The exact same thing happened to us, we'd move the birds and a day or two later they had returned home to their home range.

That is sad :-(

How much of their extinction comes down to man-made(?) causes (habitat loss etc.)? Also wow only 3 seems like a crazy long-shot to save the species. Are there any success stories for birds with numbers that low?!

It was all do to exotic animals, mostly pigs, rats and mosquitos. The pigs destroyed the forest understory where the terrestrial snails lived, rats ate the nests, and mosquitos spread disease. Mosquitos/malaria, have driven dozens of Hawaiian birds to extinction or the edge of it in the last 150 since they were first introduced to the archipelago.

The New Zealand Black Robin was brought back from 5 known individuals to ~250 today, the California Condor had about 12 individuals left and now has 200, and the Whooping Crane had about 20 and now has ~500. So it can be done, but 3 gives 0 margin for error.

Meant to include this link:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_robin#Conservation_and_distribution

Last edited:
Everything I know about bird preservation I learned from birdman and Jonathan Franzen.

Might need to make some pizzas on the Egg this weekend.

I’ve gotten it I to my head that we need to redo our objectively nice kitchen. Now every time I cook in it slight annoyances become oversized annoyances that just reinforce my thought we need to redo the kitchen which becomes a vicious cycle.

Why didn’t you guys tell me DG3 was posting again. I love that guy. He points out how fat we all are and tells us we suck and he’s awesome.

Mmmmm pizza...I'm gonna have pizza and wings now. Thanks for the extra lbs, Barca!

I have a Baking Steel that makes fantastic pizzas in the oven.

After all this pizza talk today my wife RANDOMLY decided to do pizza for dinner tonight. She used our baking steel and it came out pretty good, but a little dense. Guess that happens when you use Whole Foods pre-made crust.

Toppings were on point though.. a regular cheese & pepperoni (back-up for kiddo) and then a Gruyere, Caramelized Onion, and Bacon pie for me and her.

Funny the way the world works.

It was all do to exotic animals, mostly pigs, rats and mosquitos. The pigs destroyed the forest understory where the terrestrial snails lived, rats ate the nests, and mosquitos spread disease. Mosquitos/malaria, have driven dozens of Hawaiian birds to extinction or the edge of it in the last 150 since they were first introduced to the archipelago.

The New Zealand Black Robin was brought back from 5 known individuals to ~250 today, the California Condor had about 12 individuals left and now has 200, and the Whooping Crane had about 20 and now has ~500. So it can be done, but 3 gives 0 margin for error.

Meant to include this link:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_robin#Conservation_and_distribution

Should have known it was those feral pigs. Had a tour guide that went on and on about how terrible they were for a while. He was a trained geologist though, so was way more into talking about LAVA and ROCKS.

Reading about Black Robins now and I am blown away: https://www.australiangeographic.co...raordinary-survival-story-of-the-black-robin/

Great work bird people!

I rarely bother trying to make my own pizza anymore

It’s a not insignificant part of our monthly food budget

lol my son has only slept for 7 hrs once in his ~ 7 months of life, which means i haven't had an uninterrupted night of sleep in 7 months

we're still in the wake up every 3-4 hrs sitch; think he may have some sinus issues compounding general fussiness

he's so cute though

I rarely bother trying to make my own pizza anymore

It’s a not insignificant part of our monthly food budget

Whatever it takes to survive !!! (though y'all have been doing pizza night for far longer than baby)

Should have known it was those feral pigs. Had a tour guide that went on and on about how terrible they were for a while. He was a trained geologist though, so was way more into talking about LAVA and ROCKS.

Reading about Black Robins now and I am blown away: https://www.australiangeographic.co...raordinary-survival-story-of-the-black-robin/

Great work bird people!

it is the only reason somebody would ever need an assault rifle.

Mako vs DG3 for manliest bro on the boards.

$500 on the line

Winner compares dicks with DV5.75

Winner of that has immunity to all arguments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back