• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat thread 95: old people can't hang anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
What’s everyone doing for The Masters this afternoon ? I’m going to sit around and pull for Zalatoris and pull against Matsuyama.

I have done this exactly 4 times in my coaching career. And it’s time it’s the most embarrassing moment of my life, and I once shit myself while on stage during an Acteens performance in front of the congregation of the Southern Baptist Church I grew up in.

Damn. That old testament god getting revenge for a shitty performance right away. Best come correct when praising the lord.

dang, was catching up and pretty excited to talk about LUMBER prices again since it has so directly impacted me while building a home this year (and about to try and get a fence put up RIP)

but then WRS dropped that scary shit on us.. hope all is well man, hopefully just low blood sugar or something like that

dang, was catching up and pretty excited to talk about LUMBER prices again since it has so directly impacted me while building a home this year (and about to try and get a fence put up RIP)

but then WRS dropped that scary shit on us.. hope all is well man, hopefully just low blood sugar or something like that

Unlike 2&2, I am not yet dead so please carry on with your lumber conversations.

you're building a custom house?

Watching SNL from last night.

Strong open.

Solid episode. The Weekend Update guests were the best part of the show.

I still don’t know or care who Carey Mulligan is though. Pleasantly surprised there doesn’t seem to much outrage about Kid Cudi’s second performance.

you're building a custom house?

Yeah, my wife and I were shopping around here in Asheville a few years ago but weren't planning on actually moving into it for a few years (needed to live on campus for a few more years for her job) and couldn't find anything that was just right for the price.. also didn't feel like finding and buying a great home only to rent it out for several years immediately after. So the realtor talked us into just buying some land in an area that has actually gotten like 10x better since we purchased it because of business development, and we finally started building a home in the fall. I have mostly enjoyed the process, but it has definitely gotten way more expensive than I expected vs the original quoted price. I'm one of those guys who will almost always take an upgrade option when presented to me lol.

Yeah, my wife and I were shopping around here in Asheville a few years ago but weren't planning on actually moving into it for a few years (needed to live on campus for a few more years for her job) and couldn't find anything that was just right for the price.. also didn't feel like finding and buying a great home only to rent it out for several years immediately after. So the realtor talked us into just buying some land in an area that has actually gotten like 10x better since we purchased it because of business development, and we finally started building a home in the fall. I have mostly enjoyed the process, but it has definitely gotten way more expensive than I expected vs the original quoted price. I'm one of those guys who will almost always take an upgrade option when presented to me lol.

yeah, another buddy of mine is doing that and I'm jealous. I have such strange requirements for a house (Need square footage but not a ton of bedrooms, space for pool/pingpong/pinball machines/golf simulator) that I'm really leaning towards just finding some land/tear down and building it. A big part of the costs are architect fees and I might be able to get a significant discount on that from work + use someone from work to oversee the contractor.

So been thinking/looking about getting a construction loan. Or I could just move back to the east coast.

yeah, another buddy of mine is doing that and I'm jealous. I have such strange requirements for a house (Need square footage but not a ton of bedrooms, space for pool/pingpong/pinball machines/golf simulator) that I'm really leaning towards just finding some land/tear down and building it. A big part of the costs are architect fees and I might be able to get a significant discount on that from work + use someone from work to oversee the contractor.

So been thinking/looking about getting a construction loan. Or I could just move back to the east coast.

Yeah, I wish I'd had the political cache to pull off more game room space haha.. we actually took a couple houses in the area we'd like but were missing one or two things and used those as a starting point for the discussion with our builders, which was nice since it ended up not being a ton of architect fees/time involved to alter those pre-existing plans (mostly re-arranging the upstairs a little bit, adding an entire floor for a walkout basement). The hardest part was honestly just finding the land, since in a hotter area of AVL it's hard to find empty lots that aren't already snapped up by builders looking to build/sell themselves, but this was basically a pocket listing and the guy was looking to make some quick cash. Otherwise it would have been a similar issue with looking for a shitty house to tear down or do significant renovations on, which I wasn't terribly keen to do. I imagine its even harder anywhere in a big city like LA.

Yeah, I wish I'd had the political cache to pull off more game room space haha.. we actually took a couple houses in the area we'd like but were missing one or two things and used those as a starting point for the discussion with our builders, which was nice since it ended up not being a ton of architect fees/time involved to alter those pre-existing plans (mostly re-arranging the upstairs a little bit, adding an entire floor for a walkout basement). The hardest part was honestly just finding the land, since in a hotter area of AVL it's hard to find empty lots that aren't already snapped up by builders looking to build/sell themselves, but this was basically a pocket listing and the guy was looking to make some quick cash. Otherwise it would have been a similar issue with looking for a shitty house to tear down or do significant renovations on, which I wasn't terribly keen to do. I imagine its even harder anywhere in a big city like LA.

What are ya putting in the walkout basement that isn't a gameroom?

I'm also not familiar at all on how much equity you need for a build/land purchase (unlike knowing I'd need 20% down for a regular place, etc.)

What are ya putting in the walkout basement that isn't a gameroom?

Ha, well the larger part will be my office space since I WFH + peloton + media room/big tv, just no room for a ping pong table because we also put a bed/bath down there (which will be great since it makes it marketable as an airbnb option down the road or if we ever sell).

I'm also not familiar at all on how much equity you need for a build/land purchase (unlike knowing I'd need 20% down for a regular place, etc.)

I think they are probably looking for similar-ish % down based on land price + projected value of home (they'll get an appraisal done on the expected output/plans for the house, which is kinda weird). Since we owned our lot outright already it made it pretty easy since that wasn't factored in and if anything could be counted in our favor/as part of the deposit in a way.

real peloton or fake peloton

haha, what do you think?

"I'm one of those guys who will almost always take an upgrade option when presented to me lol."

I've been doing the road bike on a smart trainer thing for a few years now and just want something more permanent/less annoying when I want to take the bike out.

real peloton or upgraded servers.....HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back