• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Justin Gray ('06) Named Head Coach at Coastal Carolina

No one cared about J Gray til he put on the mask

That's how superheroes roll.

But seriously, Gray was a freshman who had only played the non-conference slate before the mask.

I posted the presser above.

I was at the game where Boozer broke his nose and the mask game where he got his revenge. Hell of a game. I brought three friends from Duke to the game. Nice silent trip back to Durham.

http://wakeforest_ftp.sidearmsports.com/custompages/sports/m-baskbl/stats/021303aaa.html

Pretty sure it was Dahntay Jones on the broken jaw thing, not Boozer. Memory could be slipping in my old age tho.

ETA: Sorry I didn't realize everyone had already dunked on Ph for that. Great presser. If I'm on that team, I'd run through a brick wall for him. Would be shocked if he's not sucessful.

Last edited:
Remember watching the Deacs bury Clemson by 45 at Littlejohn back in '05. First Wake game my oldest daughter went to. She was 4 months old.

Gray sunk five 3's before the first tv timeout to put the game out of reach before it had hardly even begun.

They interviewed him on 610 this morning. Asked him a bunch about his Wake days, and if he liked beating Duke or UNC more. He said actually NC State, because his uncle was a huge Wolfpack fan. JGray would give him game tickets, and the uncle would show up in all red behind the Wake bench talking shit to players the whole game. He said that in the nutpunch game the players weren't going back and forth with the State students as widely reported, they were going back and forth with his uncle.

They interviewed him on 610 this morning. Asked him a bunch about his Wake days, and if he liked beating Duke or UNC more. He said actually NC State, because his uncle was a huge Wolfpack fan. JGray would give him game tickets, and the uncle would show up in all red behind the Wake bench talking shit to players the whole game. He said that in the nutpunch game the players weren't going back and forth with the State students as widely reported, they were going back and forth with his uncle.

His uncle sounds like a jerk.

Agreed. He said that whole side of his family was pissed when he chose Wake over State. Not sure why he would keep giving him tickets then.

We beat out State for Gray, Big E, and CP within a two year period in the middle of an eight game winning streak vs. State. That was the golden age of the TIERS era. That was the longest streak in the rivalry since State won 8 straight between 1971 and the 1974 National Championship team.

We beat out State for Gray, Big E, and CP within a two year period in the middle of an eight game winning streak vs. State. That was the golden age of the TIERS era. That was the longest streak in the rivalry since State won 8 straight between 1971 and the 1974 National Championship team.

That was when we were the roadblock on their way to becoming The Next Oregon.

I often post one of my favorite JGray memories, as someone who also attended every home game he played at wake.

But this memory is from the depths of hell, Cameron indoor: wake loses the tip, duke takes the ball down the court: JGray immediately steals it, runs the fast break alone, but pulls up to take a long three instead of the easy layup. Money.

3-0 to the good guys. I took a picture of the scoreboard I treasure. Probably the best wake memory in all the games I attended at duke, sadly

Justin Gray lands his first recruit as a college coach:

Iona transfer Johan Crafoord from Sweden. As a freshman, the 6-8 230 Crafoord received very limited minutes under Pitino last year playing in only 6 games. Here is Iona profile: https://icgaels.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/johan-crafoord/5725

Crafoord moved from Rick Pitino to Justin Gray looking for a coaching upgrade... ;-)

Looks like Justin has either 5 or 6 open scholarships to work with depending on whether Marcus Thomas returns, the one senior on the WCU roster that hasn't transferred.

Update:

WCU also lands Jake LaRavia's teammate Junior guard Cam Bacote, Bacote started out at UMES, than transferred to Indiana State where he was mostly a bench player. Bacote scored a season high 8 against Sweet 16 participant Loyola Chicago to close the season. Bacote is from Hampton, VA.

and

5-11 PG Jamir Moultrie who started out at LaSalle, and played last season at NC Central.

Last edited:
Back