• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Biden to withdraw all troops from Afghanistan by 9/11/21

They also volunteered to take the lives of complete strangers, depending on orders. So I don’t know if “good guys” is the word the Afghans would use. $2,000,000,000,000+ and tens of thousands of “good guys” failed the Afghan people. Let’s bring that money home and do some real good.

Cool. Let me know if you eventually figure this out.

Ok so Biden gets blamed for everything that’s gone wrong and gets no credit for what goes right. I see how this works.

Biden is responsible for his decision to override the advice he received when he ordered the withdrawal. That he pulled the military element out before securing the diplomatic infrastructure is beyond words. Those errors have led to there being more troops in Afghanistan now then when the withdrawal started. Is Biden responsible for that? According to Biden, yes. He said so: "I am president of the United States of America, and the buck stops with me." Good for him for clearing that up for some of you.

He should also get the credit for cutting our losses going forward. I think it will prove to be the right decision in time, but the manner of what you do also matters. This withdrawal was a failed execution. You can do the right thing the wrong way.

What is the excuse for not having the civilians, our allies, and diplomats out of the country before ceding control of the air base and airport to local authorities?

Really you gonna blame poor kids from bum fuck towns being sold a false bill of goods? Gtfo.

Who was doing that? Everything I’ve read on here is blaming the industrial military alliance which happily sends our underprivileged young adults to die in exchange for private profits.

Biden is responsible for his decision to override the advice he received when he ordered the withdrawal. That he pulled the military element out before securing the diplomatic infrastructure is beyond words. Those errors have led to there being more troops in Afghanistan now then when the withdrawal started. Is Biden responsible for that? According to Biden, yes. He said so: "I am president of the United States of America, and the buck stops with me." Good for him for clearing that up for some of you.

He should also get the credit for cutting our losses going forward. I think it will prove to be the right decision in time, but the manner of what you do also matters. This withdrawal was a failed execution. You can do the right thing the wrong way.

What is the excuse for not having the civilians, our allies, and diplomats out of the country before ceding control of the air base and airport to local authorities?

I agree with all of this.

Yeah say what you will about US military misadventure around the world, but it is one of the only surefire paths to college for America’s underclass. If you add up the $6T we’ve spent on wars in the Middle East and Asia since 01, you could also buy a few college educations with a lot fewer body bags, I’m sure.

Six trillion dollars is unquestionably a huge amount of money. It's absolutely fair to question that level of investment. Even more fair (our obligation, really) to question policies which result in us bringing home kids in body bags or killing other countries' citizens.

I just don't place student loan debt on the same level as the other items on your list. Particularly the half of outstanding student loan debt owed by people who pursued graduate degrees - those people were already well past the "underclass" when they chose to take on more debt.

Good post. There’s no need for anyone to defend Biden here - his administration didn’t handle the end game well. The result that COULD have been changed is how many of our allies could have been evacuated with a good plan, VS what happened, and that is 100% on the current administration.

The rest of the outcome (Afghanistan now) is not on him or our military. They did their jobs and if the Afghan people don’t want to fight for their rights, there’s only so far we could take it. Afghans are certainly capable of fighting - they just don’t seem to want to fight against the taliban. So be it.

In retrospect, Taliban rule was clearly going to happen regardless of who our president was and regardless of how we left. Biden is in office so it lands on him. He’s a big boy and can deal with that. I suspect he will lose sleep over the people we have stranded, but not the rest of it. Exit was the right move, and that’s even more apparent today than it was a week ago.

Trump calls on Biden to resign. Not a surprise, really.

Logistics question: Where exactly are we evacuating people to from Kabul ? Like, what is the first stop ?

Back