• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Biden to withdraw all troops from Afghanistan by 9/11/21

Logistics question: Where exactly are we evacuating people to from Kabul ? Like, what is the first stop ?

It really depends. Most of the SIVs that were evacuated already went to Ft. Lee for initial processing and then will be resettled through the normal SIV/refugee resettlement channels.

These channels are not robust enough to handle the need right now after the past 4 years.

For those that are not going through Ft. Lee, most VOLAGs are calling for the US to get them to US Territories, which could most likely be Guam, as we did with over 160,000 Vietnamese in 1975 and almost 7,000 Iraqi Kurds in '96

So, are conservatives in favor of taking in Afghan refugees or not?

Of course not. It's like with abortion, they only pretend to care about the fetus when it's in the womb, but it can go fuck itself after it pops out.

Same with brown people. Harder for them to pretend they care, but they're giving it the ole college try -- the go fuck yourselves part comes now.

In retrospect, Taliban rule was clearly going to happen regardless of who our president was and regardless of how we left. Biden is in office so it lands on him. He’s a big boy and can deal with that. I suspect he will lose sleep over the people we have stranded, but not the rest of it. Exit was the right move, and that’s even more apparent today than it was a week ago.

Exactly.

You may think I'm being flippant, but there is an opportunity here. What if we brought all 200,000 Afghans to Robeson County (which is losing population and is generally recognized as a awful place), and gave them half a trillion dollars (a bargain in relative terms), and told them to build a worthwhile society ?

I’d gladly sign up my neighborhood for a relocation program. We have plenty of immigrants from the Middle East, India, and SE Asian and it’s great. Plus Afghan food is amazing.

Ok, so Trumpers praised the peace talks, supported negotiating with the Taliban, agreed with a full withdrawal. Now that the withdrawal has happened, they hate both it and that Biden left lots of Afghans behind that helped us, while at the same time despise refugees and don't want any of those Afghans coming to "their neighborhoods."

What's crazy is that Trump's basic goal of completely leaving Afghanistan was hugely popular, but he's backtracking like a total coward, deleting tweets and website entries and any reference they can find that highlights that effort. I'm guessing all their Facebook/Twitter metrics dictated that flip-flop, and then Biden stands up and says fuck off it's the right decision. For the EXACT same reasons Trump did.

There's also a weird "it's over" vibe to the coverage of the evacuation, which is not a done deal yet. You pull out refugees first, maybe the Taliban kills a bunch of soldiers. Instead we pull out the soldiers first and the Taliban waltzes in to play with our gym equipment and lounge around in the corrupt government's lavish and vacated homes. There's still a window to get a ton of folks out that want to leave, and there's a very real chance the Taliban would rather let it happen than provoke a legit fight with the US right as we are permanently leaving.

None of that excuses the naivety or ignorance of the administration's exit strategy. It's a failure to this point by any measure - it's just not beyond saving. But you'd think Trump would do the vaccine thing again, take credit for the good and pass around blame for the bad. Desperation must be at all-time highs I guess.

TIL the National Security Advisor is a micro-old, younger than me.

Personally I don't have an issue with it.

Plus I'm looking forward to hearing the Afghan refugee opinions on the oppressed minorities in the US and thoughts on critical race theory.

Refugees in your community usually mean some awesome food. Just east of Atlanta in Clarkston is a large resettlement of people from all over the world and a lot of programs to help them include the establishment of restaurants.

Of course not. It's like with abortion, they only pretend to care about the fetus when it's in the womb, but it can go fuck itself after it pops out.

Same with brown people. Harder for them to pretend they care, but they're giving it the ole college try -- the go fuck yourselves part comes now.

Unless it’s a dog fetus.

Ok, so Trumpers praised the peace talks, supported negotiating with the Taliban, agreed with a full withdrawal. Now that the withdrawal has happened, they hate both it and that Biden left lots of Afghans behind that helped us, while at the same time despise refugees and don't want any of those Afghans coming to "their neighborhoods."

What's crazy is that Trump's basic goal of completely leaving Afghanistan was hugely popular, but he's backtracking like a total coward, deleting tweets and website entries and any reference they can find that highlights that effort. I'm guessing all their Facebook/Twitter metrics dictated that flip-flop, and then Biden stands up and says fuck off it's the right decision. For the EXACT same reasons Trump did.

There's also a weird "it's over" vibe to the coverage of the evacuation, which is not a done deal yet. You pull out refugees first, maybe the Taliban kills a bunch of soldiers. Instead we pull out the soldiers first and the Taliban waltzes in to play with our gym equipment and lounge around in the corrupt government's lavish and vacated homes. There's still a window to get a ton of folks out that want to leave, and there's a very real chance the Taliban would rather let it happen than provoke a legit fight with the US right as we are permanently leaving.

None of that excuses the naivety or ignorance of the administration's exit strategy. It's a failure to this point by any measure - it's just not beyond saving. But you'd think Trump would do the vaccine thing again, take credit for the good and pass around blame for the bad. Desperation must be at all-time highs I guess.

This.

And this is why no one should ever take a GQP member's opinions seriously. Just let the JHs, Anuses, and Sailors of the world talk to the air -- their opinion should carry zero weight.

Refugees in your community usually mean some awesome food. Just east of Atlanta in Clarkston is a large resettlement of people from all over the world and a lot of programs to help them include the establishment of restaurants.

Best Afghan food I ever ate was St Louis, of all places.

What are traditional Afghan foods? Maybe need to start prepping.

What are traditional Afghan foods? Maybe need to start prepping.

They do a lot of similar things found through out the Middle East, lots of kabobs and such. They have a great stuffed flatbread that’s like a roti/naan combination. I’ve only had a few other I guess homemade dishes, the Syrian refugee family my wife worked with had Afghan neighbors, they made Mastawa which was really good. Counterpoint during Ramadan they came over to break their fast with what I thought was Chili Mac, super excited, instead it was macaroni with a cold yogurt sauce and some red bean concoction, do not recommend.

Arent there tons of countries that are struggling economically due to declining birth rates? Here's looking at you China and Japan. The refugee problem shouldn't be that hard to figure out.

Back