• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Biden to withdraw all troops from Afghanistan by 9/11/21

If there's anything that Trump supporters can't criticize, it's the US withdrawal from Afghanistan. Trump first wanted it done by Christmas 2020 (via tweet!) and then May 2021.

Eh, just call 'em jockstraps.

Honestly, I'm not sure people who are willing to hear the Taliban out are salvageable.

https://apnews.com/article/donald-t...nited-states-e142c8d18406fb270ccb2c0cb0872a0a

President Donald Trump confirmed Tuesday that he spoke on the phone to a Taliban leader, making him the first U.S. president believed to have ever spoken directly with the militant group responsible for the deaths of thousands of U.S. troops in nearly 19 years of fighting in Afghanistan.

Trump said the United States has a shared interest with the Taliban, which harbored al-Qaida before the 9/11 attacks.

“We had a very good conversation with the leader of the Taliban today, and they’re looking to get this ended, and we’re looking to get it ended. I think we all have a very common interest,” Trump said. “We had, actually, a very good talk with the leader of the Taliban.”

If there's anything that Trump supporters can't criticize, it's the US withdrawal from Afghanistan. Trump first wanted it done by Christmas 2020 (via tweet!) and then May 2021.

Head-spinning stuff here: https://www.thetrumparchive.com/?searchbox="Afghanistan"

Do we remember Trump's Twitter meltdown that blew up planned negotiations with the Taliban planned for Camp David? https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/08/world/asia/afghanistan-trump-camp-david-taliban.html

You live in a bubble. You just admitted it.

Have you even addressed that it was Trump who made the deal with the Taliban?

The people I come into a lot of contact with don't have as much time on their hands as you and Brasky. There's definitely a bubble at work, but did you ever consider the Bubble isn't built to keep conservative ideas off campus, but rather to keep your fenced in?

Because George Bush and Dick Cheney set up an invasion and occupation in 2001/2002 to try and distract from the fact that they ignored the intelligence that bin Laden was determined to attack with in the United States. Biden is stuck clean up their mess 20 years later and it’s fucking messy.

George Bush and Dick Cheney were hardly the only prominent politicians in favor of U.S. military intervention in Afghanistan

The decision to withdraw all forces isn't the issue here, it's the execution and failure to plan for a quick, aggressive Taliban move into Kabul.

Question for those smarter than me: why did the US abandon the Bagram air base in favor of the Kabul airport?

The decision to withdraw all forces isn't the issue here, it's the execution and failure to plan for a quick, aggressive Taliban move into Kabul.

There was an incorrect assumption that the Afghan forces would do anything at all other than just surrender.

The only thing a better plan would've done would've made for a smoother evacuation of diplomats and American aligned Afghanis, who I hope we'll help out.

Question for those smarter than me: why did the US abandon the Bagram air base in favor of the Kabul airport?

My guess - to have time to sterilize what defense data and infrastructure was there.

A complete US withdrawal of all forces in 2021 had a 100% chance of giving Afghanistan to the Taliban no matter how it was executed

the withdrawal is certainly more chaotic than it could have been, and will result in more death to US-friendly anti-Taliban forces in Afghanistan

so, Trump wrong, Biden wrong

Yeah the only people that are fucked are the people that were always going to be fucked, the Afghan people. It also seems like the Taliban doesn’t really care who leaves they got what they wanted, total control.

How is Biden solely to blame for that instead of the poor intelligence on the ground, the soldiers who couldn’t fight off the Taliban, and the generals who apparently got out schemed.

Biden set the date for withdrawal. I presume he agreed to a plan the brass came up with that apparently they couldn’t execute.

How is Biden solely to blame for that instead of the poor intelligence on the ground, the soldiers who couldn’t fight off the Taliban, and the generals who apparently got out schemed.

Biden set the date for withdrawal. I presume he agreed to a plan the brass came up with that apparently they couldn’t execute.

the brass didn't want a full withdrawal

Because the soldiers were already back in North Carolina, because the President vowed a "total military withdrawal by 9/11/21." That part feels kind of important.

E86rwM2X0AEWrfy

the brass didn't want a full withdrawal

Brutal.

President Joe Biden's decision to withdraw all U.S. forces from Afghanistan by Sept. 11, 2021 came over the objection of some of his closest advisers, U.S. News has learned, and in the face of vociferous concern from Capitol Hill.

Back