• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Biden to withdraw all troops from Afghanistan by 9/11/21

Brutal.

President Joe Biden's decision to withdraw all U.S. forces from Afghanistan by Sept. 11, 2021 came over the objection of some of his closest advisers, U.S. News has learned, and in the face of vociferous concern from Capitol Hill.

So you also disagreed with Trump's decision to leave Afghanistan even earlier?

I don't know the details of how it went wrong so fast, but I think the biggest failure has been the lack of leadership from Biden. With how fast everything deteriorated, he needs to give a national speech. I understand they are scrambling for how exactly to respond, but to not say anything over the weekend or so far today is a lack of leadership.

I'm pro leaving, I think it was going to be a mess whether it was Trump or Biden doing this, but to stay silent for basically a week with all of the news and images is inexcusable at this point.

I don't know the details of how it went wrong so fast, but I think the biggest failure has been the lack of leadership from Biden. With how fast everything deteriorated, he needs to give a national speech. I understand they are scrambling for how exactly to respond, but to not say anything over the weekend or so far today is a lack of leadership.

I'm pro leaving, I think it was going to be a mess whether it was Trump or Biden doing this, but to stay silent for basically a week with all of the news and imagines is inexcusable at this point.

I think somebody finally figured this out. 3:45.

When is the last time a President gave a major presidential (not election) address on a weekend? Obama announcing bin Laden’s death?

Monday afternoon seems like a reasonable time for a speech about something that happened over the weekend. Leadership is more than a speech.

Last edited:
the brass didn't want a full withdrawal

Yeah well military leaders rarely want less military involvement. We stayed 15 years longer than needed. It’s well past time to go.

If we weren’t prepared to withdrawal at this point, that’s a massive failure of leadership. Biden certainly carries some blame, but it’s time for more accountability and transparency from our military brass.

I’m also a little suspicious that equipment was left behind, so that the taxpayers would have to pay to replace it. I’d love to see somebody do a study about the consulting jobs former military leaders receive from private companies after they retire from service. If you’re looking for corruption I’d start there.

Last edited:
The plan put in place by those top brass Pentagon folks was only ever permanent occupation. They never came up with any alternative. Sure it's expensive to maintain the frontier of empire and fund the military-consultant-arms state, you guys, but just trust us for another couple dozen years on this one!

Highly recommend the podcast American Prestige for anyone trying to make sense of this and other perma-war situations we've found ourselves in while our empire declines.

I hope Republicans are going to run on a platform that Biden should have continued this forever war. Did Trump’s deal with the Taliban include anything about women’s dress?

CNN won’t have to report from Kabul anymore. That’s the main outcome of all this.

When is the last time a President gave a major presidential (not election) address on a weekend? Obama announcing bin Laden’s death?

Monday afternoon seems like a reasonable time for a speech about something that happened over the weekend. Leadership is more than a speech.

not sure this is gonna be a "major presidential address" since everything I see so far says "remarks"

So are you now arguing that the Taliban taking over is also Biden's fault? Because you've said that you are just blaming him for our chaotic withdrawal and failure to remove American personnel and Afghans who helped us more quickly. Other than ditching Trump's withdrawal agreement and permanently leaving troops in Afghanistan, what could Biden have done to prevent this from happening to Afghan women?

Last edited:
Yeah well military leaders rarely want less military involvement. We stayed 15 years longer than needed. It’s well past time to go.

If we weren’t prepared to withdrawal at this point, that’s a massive failure of leadership. Biden certainly carries some blame, but it’s time for more accountability and transparency from our military brass.

I’m also a little suspicious that equipment was left behind, so that the taxpayers would have to pay to replace it. I’d love to see somebody do a study about the consulting jobs former military leaders receive from private companies after they retire from service. If you’re looking for corruption I’d start there.

I agree with this. The military always wants to stay places, so it isn't a surprise they were against the withdraw. They advised Trump against it as well, and remember Trump had a swift withdraw from northern Syria which left the Kurds out to dry.

But some of the blame does have to go on the military leadership on the logistics of the withdraw. I seriously doubt the inner white house was in charge of all of the logistical operation decisions around how the withdraw was handled. A lot of that comes from the military chain of commend after Biden says we are leaving.

I do find it inexcusable to leave behind all of the military equipment just for the Taliban to take control of it. Either blow that up over there, or have a plan to bring it home. Leaving it to the enemy is just dumb.

So are you now arguing that the Taliban taking over is also Biden's fault? Because you've said that you are just blaming him for our chaotic withdrawal and failure to remove American personnel and Afghans who helped us more quickly. Other than ditching Trump's withdrawal agreement and permanently leaving troops in Afghanistan, what could Biden have done to prevent this from happening to Afghan women?

Nothing. This was the foregone conclusion the second we left.

Well, other than evacuating all women or hiring a private security firm for the entire country.

What did Trump expect would happen to women in Afghanistan when he established an agreement with the Taliban for withdrawal of US troops? Was the plan to evacuate all the women from the country and then Biden fucked it up? Was there some sort of unwritten side agreement that women would be treated better this time? In what universe was it avoidable that the day would come, after the US pulled out, that women would be required to wear head coverings? Maybe it happened three weeks sooner than expected, but Afghanistan was going back to this regardless.

Back