• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Upgrading a verizon phone without having to actually go into the verizon store?

DeacOnCapeCod

Reaction score
So my mom has an old flip phone and a tablet that she got at the verizon store (she has a verizon number) a few years ago.
They are on their last legs (not holding a charge/tablet running out of space even with an external SD card).

She is basically just wanting a newer flip phone and tablet. The options on the verizon website were limited, plus seemed WAY overprice (pay 10 bucks a month for 24 months for the flip phone).

Can we just purchase devices, swap the sim cards ourselves and do everything online?

I'm not wanting to go into the verizon store only to spend an hour listening to the sales person explaining why an 80 year old woman needs a top of the line smartphone.

You can buy a phone online and swap sim cards etc. You can avoid bloatware that Verizon forces when you buy the phone from them. However, you may have issues with the sim card you currently have not being compatible with the new phone even if the card physically fits. They do change from time to time. I had to buy a new one once when I had an older phone that used a card they had just moved from.
My brother in law just spent an entire afternoon online and on the phone with support to get a number ported to Verizon from another carrier. Major issue appeared to be our parents in law not having text msg turned on their flip phone so they had difficulty getting the confirmation text to allow the transition. At some point she may just need to upgrade from a flip phone. If she is using a tablet the change over may not be as difficult. Just something to consider.
Since you are on Verizon already just find the devices you want and tell them in store "this is what I want. I'm not getting anything else." It probably won't be as hard sale as you are worried about if you know what you want and just tell them. Sending her in alone might inspire someone to try and change her mind if she is not firm in what she wants.

You can buy a phone online and swap sim cards etc. You can avoid bloatware that Verizon forces when you buy the phone from them. However, you may have issues with the sim card you currently have not being compatible with the new phone even if the card physically fits. They do change from time to time. I had to buy a new one once when I had an older phone that used a card they had just moved from.
My brother in law just spent an entire afternoon online and on the phone with support to get a number ported to Verizon from another carrier. Major issue appeared to be our parents in law not having text msg turned on their flip phone so they had difficulty getting the confirmation text to allow the transition. At some point she may just need to upgrade from a flip phone. If she is using a tablet the change over may not be as difficult. Just something to consider.
Since you are on Verizon already just find the devices you want and tell them in store "this is what I want. I'm not getting anything else." It probably won't be as hard sale as you are worried about if you know what you want and just tell them. Sending her in alone might inspire someone to try and change her mind if she is not firm in what she wants.

When my wife upgraded her phone (i was with her), the verizon sales guy wouldn't stop and went on and on how "I'm trying to to save you money" when we said we just wanted a specific phone. It was annoying.
Tried to get my mother in law on a tablet (she had a verizon flip phone and wanted a tablet to get text messages) and spent like 4 hours to get it to sync, but eventually just went with a google number.

Thanks for the info... I'm hoping it is going to be a painless experience.

We buy used phones on swappa and take them into the store during a time they are not busy. Just let them do it. Buy what you need there. Ten minute errand with no possibility of being on the phone in tech support hell. Your mom has no pretense of being technical - just be "can you help a little old lady out?" There is a small charge for the service but imho it is worth it.

it is definitely true that some sales guys are gonna sell. maybe i come across as a jerk but i have never had a problem saying "no thank you. i only want xyz" and having it end there.

hope it goes well.

I bought a pixel 4a on the Google website back in that fall and it was super easy to set up. I was replacing a 4+ year old pixel 1 i bought at the verizon store.

it is definitely true that some sales guys are gonna sell. maybe i come across as a jerk but i have never had a problem saying "no thank you. i only want xyz" and having it end there.

hope it goes well.

I would like to visit the Verizon store in your neighborhood. My experience has uniformly been that they'll basically lie, cheat, and be as deceptive as possible to get you to buy the most expensive phone in the store. Pathetic.

I just go in and buy the newest iPhone that fits in my pocket every 2 or 3 years when the old one crashes. Not really a hassle.

It worked out. Salesman was really smart. We got a Post-Soviet independence flip phone and a Blackberry tablet. We got it financed in store: 10 bucks a month for 144 months, with a balloon payment of $500 at the end of the contract.

Back