• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021-22 Proposed NCAA basketball rule changes

TheReff

Rod Griffin
Reaction score
an interesting bunch of changes to say the least but doubtful if all are adopted

Here’s the complete list:

2020-21 Possible Rule Changes (via @MattNorlander)

— Widen the lane to 16 feet

— Reset team fouls at the 10:00 minute mark of each half and begin double bonus on the 5th team foul of each 10-minute segment. This would eliminate the one-and-one free throw.

— Allow laptops, tablets, or similar devices in the bench area for coaching purposes.

— Adopt a modified six-foul rule with the following provisions:

1. A player may not commit more than three personal/technical fouls in any one half. Penalty – disqualification.

2. A player may commit three personal/technical fouls in the first half and three in the second half. In this case, the player is allowed six fouls before being disqualified.

3. A player may commit two personal/technical fouls in the first half and would be disqualified on his fourth personal/technical in the second half. Total – six fouls.

4. A player may commit zero or one personal/technical fouls in the first half and would be disqualified on the player’s fourth personal/technical in the second half. See #1.

— Award possession of the ball to the defense when they create a held ball situation.

— Limit the number of timeouts that may be called by any one team in the last two minutes of the second period or of any overtime period to two.

— In the last two minutes of the second period or of any overtime period, allow instant replay review of potential shot-clock violations when the shot is unsuccessful.

— Eliminate the ten-second backcourt rule.

— Permit the use of Instant Replay on all basket interference/goaltending calls throughout the game, but only when a call has been made by an official.

— Permit a team to decline free throws in the last two minutes of the last period or of any overtime period and elect possession of the ball for a throw-in instead.

— Eliminate offensive basket interference after the ball hits the ring or flange. Would make the rule consistent with the FIBA rule.

— Adjust the traveling rule to allow a player to take two steps after lifting his pivot foot which would make moves such as the spin move, Euro-step and step-back shot legal.

— Eliminate the five second closely guarded rule.

Some of these, like allowing laptops or tablets on the sidelines, are no-brainers. I even like the concept of moving to six fouls under certain conditions and limiting timeouts in the final two minutes. However, getting rid of the one-and-one free throw?! Nothing about block/charge or moving to four quarters

"— Reset team fouls at the 10:00 minute mark of each half"

Why not just go to quarters like NCAA women's basketball, NBA, and every other level and league of basketball in the world?

"— Reset team fouls at the 10:00 minute mark of each half and begin double bonus on the 5th team foul of each 10-minute segment. This would eliminate the one-and-one free throw."

Why not just go to quarters like women's basketball, NBA, and every other level and league of basketball in the world?

Ph, I think that is exactly where they are headed! Men's baskets is the only one in the world still playing in halves and I believe women's has liked the change so I would imagine it will be there in another year. But still not sure they will adopt the 3 fouls in a half & you have to sit rule--that is taking that coaching strategy out of the hands of the head coach.

i dont read that as you have to sit at 3 fouls in the first half. i read that is if you commit 4 fouls in the first half you are disqualified. also, if you commit zero fouls in the first half, but 4 in the 2nd half you are disqualified.

but agreed the foul rule is too clever by half. just change it to 6 fouls for disqualification.

They have some very good thoughts to improve the late game situation. There are simply too many timeouts taken in what is otherwise a really exciting game, and then it becomes the march up and down the court free-throw-fest.

i dont read that as you have to sit at 3 fouls in the first half. i read that is if you commit 4 fouls in the first half you are disqualified. also, if you commit zero fouls in the first half, but 4 in the 2nd half you are disqualified.

but agreed the foul rule is too clever by half. just change it to 6 fouls for disqualification.

1. A player may not commit more than three personal/technical fouls in any one half. Penalty – disqualification.

I read that as a player has to sit out the rest of the half upon committing their 3rd personal foul or combination of personal & technical.

What I find interesting if the change does stay is to see how many coaches will turn down free throws in the last two minutes of either half or OT and choose to take the ball out of bounds? Best have a great inbounder!

I read that as a player has to sit out the rest of the half upon committing their 3rd personal foul or combination of personal & technical.

What I find interesting if the change does stay is to see how many coaches will turn down free throws in the last two minutes of either half or OT and choose to take the ball out of bounds? Best have a great inbounder!

It would decrease incentive to foul the worst free throw shooter on the court. Particularly if the foul reset the shot clock to 30 seconds.

Both are somewhat correct.

Players are disqualified after 4 fouls in a half.
Coaches will sit players after their 3rd foul so they won't pick up a 4th.

Such a rule change would penalize players who don't pick up a foul in the first half. Seems silly and would micromanage the game further and potentially lead to even more fouls. One player could commit 7 fouls before being disqualified.

Almost all those are dumb or make the game needlessly complicated. The 6 fouls one is a good example. Either allow 6 fouls or don't. Getting cute with 3 per half is unnecessary. Expanding the lane is not needed. Declining timeouts and getting rid of the one and one removes tension from the game. Awarding possession to the defense on a held ball is also dumb. I mean, the possession arrow is arbitrary, but at least it's fair. Go to a jump ball if you don't like the possession arrow.

Laptops on the sideline are a no-brainer, and I don't mind the replay caveats since they're rare occurrences. Euro step and and getting rid of offensive goal interference is fine too.

I had no idea the NCAA lane wasn't as big as the NBA lane. If you widen the lane, doesn't it mean that little circle at the top of the lane would extend beyond the 3 point line? The OCD in me is trying to manage that in my head.

Both are somewhat correct.

Players are disqualified after 4 fouls in a half.
Coaches will sit players after their 3rd foul so they won't pick up a 4th.

Such a rule change would penalize players who don't pick up a foul in the first half. Seems silly and would micromanage the game further and potentially lead to even more fouls. One player could commit 7 fouls before being disqualified.

i mean im completely correct. coaches probably will almost always sit players at 3 fouls in the first half, but they don't have to.

also, i read it as at any point 6 total fouls is disqualification. so no one could commit 7. you pick 3 in the first you're out on your 3rd in the 2nd.

but agreed it's silly. the late game fouling changes are interesting.

Almost all those are dumb or make the game needlessly complicated. The 6 fouls one is a good example. Either allow 6 fouls or don't. Getting cute with 3 per half is unnecessary. Expanding the lane is not needed. Declining timeouts and getting rid of the one and one removes tension from the game. Awarding possession to the defense on a held ball is also dumb. I mean, the possession arrow is arbitrary, but at least it's fair. Go to a jump ball if you don't like the possession arrow.

Laptops on the sideline are a no-brainer, and I don't mind the replay caveats since they're rare occurrences. Euro step and and getting rid of offensive goal interference is fine too.

I had no idea the NCAA lane wasn't as big as the NBA lane. If you widen the lane, doesn't it mean that little circle at the top of the lane would extend beyond the 3 point line? The OCD in me is trying to manage that in my head.

NBA lane is 12 feet wide. Jump circle remained 5 ft radius, 10 foot diameter, so there are inside elbows in NBA. 16 foot wide lanes would be huge. I think they would tip the balance to more offensive rebounds after missed free-throws. FIBA lane is tapered. Wider at the backboard than at the free throw line. I would prefer that to the 16 for wide lane proposal.

I agree on the fouls. Rules should not micromanage player fouls. Five or six per game. Pick a number. Coaches and players manage from there.

Don't relax traveling. Enforce the current rules.

Leave the goal tending/ offensive basket interference rule alone. No touch until the ball is out of the cylinder.

Award possession of the ball to the defense when they create a held ball situation.

Why

We went through that BS like 15 years ago after Dick Vitale kept screaming about it. It was a mess. College basketball needs far fewer judgment calls.

Because they've created a tie-up.

Maybe they did. Maybe they didn’t. What if a defensive player pokes the ball away fails to gain possession and it’s a tie up?

We learned 15-20 years ago that for a 50/50 ball, let’s just stick with a 50/50 of gaining possession.

Maybe they did. Maybe they didn’t. What if a defensive player pokes the ball away fails to gain possession and it’s a tie up?

We learned 15-20 years ago that for a 50/50 ball, let’s just stick with a 50/50 of gaining possession.

Poking the ball away is fine. Either one team gained possession after poking away or they didn't. The defense has caused a tie-up. Tie goes to the defense here.

Couldn't edit. But anyway, the offense certainly didn't succeed in re-gaining the possession. So the defense succeeded in both poking the ball away and causing a tie-up. The offense's job is to control the ball. They lost possession.

We already went through this. I looked it up. The NCAA changed the rule in 1998-99 so that defense got possession. It was a failure and the NCAA rescinded the rule the next year.

Back