Thread: Pit Beekeeping Thread

Sheikh of Smoke

Pit Beekeeping Thread

I've got 5 nucs arriving in a week or two, local NC bees instead of FL/GA bees. Any other beeks on the pit?

Steve Lepore
    I'm about ready to give it a go with a backyard hive; been reading/watching YouTube videos for years

Sheikh of Smoke
    Quote Originally Posted by WilmingtonDeac View Post
    I'm about ready to give it a go with a backyard hive; been reading/watching YouTube videos for years
    I lucked into a ton of free equipment from a family member, so I've got a head start. I'm trying not to over think it.

I enjoy keeping bees. I have 10 hives right now and I'm splitting tomorrow so I'll be up to 20 if they all take. I started out "treatment free" which after I couple years came to the realization that it's basically being anti-vax. So to anyone new to it - make sure you're treating for mites. You guys probably have hive beetles down there too which are pretty easy to treat.

I also strongly recommend avoiding italians. Russians, saskatraz, minnesota hygienic, or mutts are the way to go. And nucs are much better than packages if you can find locally sourced ones.

As someone who is allergic to bees, fuck those little bastards.

Yeah, I know they are ecologically vital but damn if they can't fuck my shit up lol.

just get a vaccine

Sheikh of Smoke
    Got a call this weekend that my 5 nucs are ready for pickup. Heading over Wednesday evening to get started on the adventure.