• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Beekeeping Thread

We've been busy going all out with our pigs, so haven't had time to regularly check on my bees as I should. I went by to mow around their hives the other day, and they were certainly not appreciative. Got popped a dozen or so times before I could get far enough away. Going back this evening to mow, but this time in a full suit.

We've been busy going all out with our pigs, so haven't had time to regularly check on my bees as I should. I went by to mow around their hives the other day, and they were certainly not appreciative. Got popped a dozen or so times before I could get far enough away. Going back this evening to mow, but this time in a full suit.

Bee hives have moods. Sometimes they are happy. Sometimes they are grumpy. Disturb them when they are grumpy and they attack. Bother them when they are happy and they just fly on about their business and ignore you. They usually are less grumpy and aggressive in evenings after a nice sunny day.

Ouch

I observed my hives earlier this week when it was warm, and I am confident 4 out of my 5 hives made it though the winter. I'm going to inspect them tomorrow and probably add some supers for them to start drawing out comb. The red maple flow is on in our area of NC so they're getting busy.

I observed my hives earlier this week when it was warm, and I am confident 4 out of my 5 hives made it though the winter. I'm going to inspect them tomorrow and probably add some supers for them to start drawing out comb. The red maple flow is on in our area of NC so they're getting busy.

Up and down Temps are hard on bees. Sorry you lost a hive.

Have you ever done an artificial swarm of a hive?

Up and down Temps are hard on bees. Sorry you lost a hive.

Have you ever done an artificial swarm of a hive?
I have not, but am reading up on it after your reply.

I ended up losing 2 of my 5 hives. Both with maybe a sand dollar sized ball of dead bees. The one I expected to not make it didn't touch the hive top feeder I gave them. Even after treating them for mites, they just didn't have the size to make it through the winter.

The surprise to me was the second hive. It was my strongest and still had most of the second super full of honey. Tons of dead bees at the bottom of that one, with the same sand dollar sized ball. That one really surprised me.

I have not, but am reading up on it after your reply.

I ended up losing 2 of my 5 hives. Both with maybe a sand dollar sized ball of dead bees. The one I expected to not make it didn't touch the hive top feeder I gave them. Even after treating them for mites, they just didn't have the size to make it through the winter.

The surprise to me was the second hive. It was my strongest and still had most of the second super full of honey. Tons of dead bees at the bottom of that one, with the same sand dollar sized ball. That one really surprised me.

That's just what happens when a queen fails or mite population overwhelms. 3 out of 5 making it through is nothing to feel bad about though, especially when you're new. Now you have a lot of drawn comb and honey to boost splits - which is great! I don't know what the indicators of when you should split are where you live, but here as soon as I see dandelions I split all my strong hives and rotate the boxes on the not as strong hives.

That's just what happens when a queen fails or mite population overwhelms. 3 out of 5 making it through is nothing to feel bad about though, especially when you're new. Now you have a lot of drawn comb and honey to boost splits - which is great! I don't know what the indicators of when you should split are where you live, but here as soon as I see dandelions I split all my strong hives and rotate the boxes on the not as strong hives.

Its a huge debate here in NC. Some split early, others split after the flow towards the end of May. To maximize honey production, I'll probably split after the honey flow and feed, feed, feed during the dearth.

Its a huge debate here in NC. Some split early, others split after the flow towards the end of May. To maximize honey production, I'll probably split after the honey flow and feed, feed, feed during the dearth.

Interesting. You must have a really strong, early nectar flow. And an early dearth too. In any case, if you get as much honey as I do here in CO, you could end up with 150-300 lbs from 3 hives. Gets a little out of hand.

Interesting. You must have a really strong, early nectar flow. And an early dearth too. In any case, if you get as much honey as I do here in CO, you could end up with 150-300 lbs from 3 hives. Gets a little out of hand.
We have a short red maple flow in late Feb to early March, then a heavy wildflower flow from mid April until mid May. Then the summer dearth hits and we don't have anything blooming until another short window in the fall. I fed sugar water all last summer as they were drawing out comb.

Everyone I've talked to has said it's pretty tough to keep bees in NC.

Set out 5 gallons of 1:1 sugar water. These 60 degree days have really confused the bees, so they're out and about. Using up their stores, just in time for the bitterly cold Jan/Feb. I'm hoping the sugar water can help keep some of the smaller hives alive.

I sold my pigs, and we aren't doing meat birds at the moment, so I'm hoping to be able to spend more time with the hives this year.

Can confirm that all the hives in my neighborhood from a year and a half ago are gone. Fun while it lasted....

Looking to move my bees this week to a new location on the farm. I can't move them 3 ft at a time, nor move them 3 miles. Talked to a few master beekeepers in our local club and got some suggestions. Ts and Ps they don't all abscond.

Looking to move my bees this week to a new location on the farm. I can't move them 3 ft at a time, nor move them 3 miles. Talked to a few master beekeepers in our local club and got some suggestions. Ts and Ps they don't all abscond.

Can you find a friend or fellow beekeeper who would host them temporarily?

Can you find a friend or fellow beekeeper who would host them temporarily?
Not anyone I'd trust with them. I talked to a friend who is a master beekeeper for some suggestions. I moved them, and since it'll be cool in NC the next couple days, I'm going to leave the moving guards on. According to bee psychologists, bees only have a 3 day memory, so keeping them cooped up for 4 days should cause them to re-orient once I remove the guards. We shall see.

I was worried when I walked by my old hive location and found a few hundred dead bees. Much to my surprise, I opened the top cover of my two hives, and the bees were looking back up at me. Looks like they made it through.

Worth mentioning the Growing High Point has a beekeeping apprenticeship. It’s a weekly commmitment to do workshops/trainings over a few months and you get a share of the honey produced, and learn the skills to do urban beekeeping.

Made some sugar & pollen substitute bricks this past weekend to help get the girls through the remainder of the winter.

Prepping some swarm traps this coming weekend. Hopefully I'll be able to snag some free bees!
a85e4e7af079c6b7651873b96646ea29.jpg

Back