• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Alabama and Mississippi Celebrate "Confedrate Memorial Day"

BirdinBama

Reaction score
Yes, sirree, for those who didn't know today is Confederate Memorial Day. It's a fuckin holiday for state employees! But take heart because Alabama also celebrates Jefferson Davis' birthday on June 7. Sheesh.

Man, you know there are other options besides Alabama bird man. Save yourself.

"It's Decoration Day.
And I've a mind to roll a stone on his grave.
But what would he say.
Keeping me down, boy, won't keep me away.
It's Decoration Day.
And I knew the Hill Boys would put us away,
But my Daddy wasn't afraid.
He said we'll fight till the last Lawson's last living day
I never knew how it all got started
A problem with Holland before we were born
And I don't know the name of that boy we tied down
And beat till he just couldn't walk anymore.
But I know the caliber in daddy's chest
And I know what Holland Hill drives.
The state let him go, but I guess it was best
'Cause nobody needs all us Lawson's alive.
Daddy said one of the boys had come by
The lumber man's favorite son.
He said, beat him real good but don't dare let him die
And if you see Holland Hill run.
Now I said, they ain't give us trouble no more
That we ain't brought down on ourselves
But a chain on my back and my ear to the floor
And I'll send all the Hill Boys to hell.
It's Decoration Day
And I've got a family in Mobile Bay
And they've never seen my daddy's grave.
But that don't bother me, it ain't marked anyway.
'Cause I got dead brothers in Lauderdale south
And I got dead brothers in east Tennessee.
My Daddy got shot right in front of his house
He had no one to fall on but me.
It's Decoration Day
And I've got a mind to go spit on his grave.
If I was a hill, I'd have put him away
And I'd fight till the last Lawson's last living day.
I'd fight till the last Lawson's last living day.
I'd fight till the last Lawson's last living day."

-Jason Isbell, Drive-by Truckers

Alabama and Mississippi or pretty objectively the worst two states in the country.

Maybe WV could challenge.

West Virginia’s natural beauty jumps it far, far above those two places.

May 10 in SC. Had to make it an official scheduled state holiday once MLK day was observed in 2000. Things like this make me happy I moved away.

It was a practice actually started in the south, then stolen by those dastardly Yankees.

They should probably just consolidate all the Memorial Days into one day in this day and age, but not paying tribute to the Civil War dead and vets-- regardless of side-- is dishonorable.

Meh it was a war 160 years ago, why do we need to pay tribute in 2021 to anyone who fought in it?

otsL3__47693.1410906128.1280.1280.jpg

West Virginia’s natural beauty jumps it far, far above those two places.

I've only been in/thru WV on travel, but in the dozens of times making the trip primarily over I64, it seems like every time it was foggy, rainy, blowing snow or a combination thereof. And going thru Charleston and looking over at the U. of Charleston football stadium, I flash back to Ampipe High, followed by Stef and Lisa's neighborhood on the right side of the river.

It was a practice actually started in the south, then stolen by those dastardly Yankees.

They should probably just consolidate all the Memorial Days into one day in this day and age, but not paying tribute to the Civil War dead and vets-- regardless of side-- is dishonorable.

I agree that Civil War vets who fought for the United States should be honored but I don't know why we should honor those who committed treason and took up arms against their country.

shouldn't that plate have a question mark instead of a comma? guess rednecks don't write so good.

Holy shit. We should never pay tribute to people fighting to preserve a slave nation.

Back