• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NFL Year 2021 Superbowl LVI. Rams win! Wolford gets a ring!.

Does any one go back and determine who did the best mock draft? The first round of the draft probably gets more thorough predictions than any large field event in sports besides the men’s NCAA basketball tournament. 32 predictions and I’ve never seen any breakdown of who had the best mock.

One of the guys on ESPN apparently nailed the last six picks in order. I don't think anyone saw the Eagles-Cowboys pick swap happening.

In the movie Charlie Wilson's War, the spy Gus, played by Phillip Seymour Hoffman, tells an allegory about the uncertainty of the future:

A boy is given a horse on his 14th birthday. Everyone in the village says, “Oh how wonderful.” But a Zen master who lives in the village says, “We'll see.” 'The boy falls off the horse and breaks his foot. Everyone in the village says, “Oh how awful.” The Zen master says, “We'll see.” The village is thrown into war and all the young men have to go to war. But, because of the broken foot, the boy stays behind. Everyone says, “Oh, how wonderful.” The Zen master says, “We'll see.”

When Mac Jones fell the Patriots at 15, this story immediately popped in my mind. Is he the 5th best QB in the draft? Would it have been better to move up to get Fields? Did being surrounded by several other 1st round picks make Mac Jones look much better than he is? We'll see.

This is the first time my team has drafted a QB in the 1st round since 1993, and after decades of trading back and out of the first round, it was pretty exciting to see, but I am not sold.

Jones had better wide receivers at Alabama than he will have at New England.

was listening to ESPN Radio right at the start of the draft as I went to get takeout and they were saying a knock on Lawrence is that he comes from a wealthy family so isn't hungry, doesn't have a chip on his shoulder, etc. If he was not a sure-fire #1 pick but a guy like Mac Jones or Justin Fields you know there would be all these anonymous scout quotes about his long hair means he doesn't want it enough, not fully focused on football, etc.

At what point do we realize Tim Tebow is scared of the future and is trying to do everything in his power to pretend his still a professional athlete. The guy is 33 years old, hasn't played in the NFL in 9 years. His baseball career topped out at a .163 Triple A batting average. And now he is trying to come back as a TE. Where are the people in his life telling him to move on and try something else?

was listening to ESPN Radio right at the start of the draft as I went to get takeout and they were saying a knock on Lawrence is that he comes from a wealthy family so isn't hungry, doesn't have a chip on his shoulder, etc. If he was not a sure-fire #1 pick but a guy like Mac Jones or Justin Fields you know there would be all these anonymous scout quotes about his long hair means he doesn't want it enough, not fully focused on football, etc.

There were plenty of BS anonymous scout quotes about Fields.

I have no issue with Tebow trying to get paid playing sports as long as he's able

There were plenty of BS anonymous scout quotes about Fields.

yeah the football punditry economy is built around those and they're always so dumb.

he likes to cook! clearly doesn't fully have his mind in the game!

he showed up to our interview in an old beat up pick-up truck, clearly he's a lunch pail first guy in, last guy out kind of player.

In the movie Charlie Wilson's War, the spy Gus, played by Phillip Seymour Hoffman, tells an allegory about the uncertainty of the future:

When Mac Jones fell the Patriots at 15, this story immediately popped in my mind. Is he the 5th best QB in the draft? Would it have been better to move up to get Fields? Did being surrounded by several other 1st round picks make Mac Jones look much better than he is? We'll see.

This is the first time my team has drafted a QB in the 1st round since 1993, and after decades of trading back and out of the first round, it was pretty exciting to see, but I am not sold.

Loved Charlie Wilson's War, and PSH was awesome. As a Pats hater, I'm pissed that they didn't have to trade up to get Jones. I know the game is evolving to where you want a QB who is more mobile. But there will always be room for a Brady or Ryan as a starting QB, and Jones is more mobile than either, although he won't be running the read option. I wasn't high on him earlier in the year figuring he was just benefiting from playing with AA WRs and O-linemen. But after the playoffs and a good senior bowl showing, I think he's going to be a solid franchise QB. I like the combination of Belechick, your napoleonic OC and Jones over the combination of Nagy and Fields. And if you add Dyami Brown with the next pick, that's going to help even more.

yeah the football punditry economy is built around those and they're always so dumb.

he likes to cook! clearly doesn't fully have his mind in the game!

he showed up to our interview in an old beat up pick-up truck, clearly he's a lunch pail first guy in, last guy out kind of player.

Yep. And they’re presented as is without regard for smokescreens, race/class bias, preference for a particular school, quality of the scouting, etc.

NFL Year 2021 Begins. DRAFT Day 2. Every team has more needs, wants and wishes

Yep. And they’re presented as is without regard for smokescreens, race/class bias, preference for a particular school, quality of the scouting, etc.

What did you make of guitardeac’s source saying he wasn’t a hard worker? What’s the word on guitardeac’s source today?

What’s wild is I remember not that long ago that the draft prediction was a sure fire Lawrence at 1 and Fields at 2 and only after that did the debate begin. For that reason I think the Bears did well in managing to land Fields.

What did you make of guitardeac’s source saying he wasn’t a hard worker? What’s the word on guitardeac’s source today?

What’s wild is I remember not that long ago that the draft prediction was a sure fire Lawrence at 1 and Fields at 2 and only after that did the debate begin. For that reason I think the Bears did well in managing to land Fields.

The comments on Fields could be racially coded language and a crock of shit. Or it could be accurate in his particular case. Who knows. But I have less confidence in Chicago's QB situation working out than I do in NE, but that's a lot more because of Nagy than because of Fields. I'd feel much better about Fields if he had been taken by Carolina, Denver or WTF than I do with him in Chicago.

Fields is a system QB from OSU, producers of the worst NFL QBs from any major school. He is going to the Bears, where QB careers go to die. He is going flat-out suck ass. The only thing up for debate is whether he lasts longer in the NFL than Haskins.

all I know is Jutin Fields acted circles around Drew Brees in that commercial

Fields is a system QB from OSU, producers of the worst NFL QBs from any major school. He is going to the Bears, where QB careers go to die. He is going flat-out suck ass. The only thing up for debate is whether he lasts longer in the NFL than Haskins.

Fields was a top 5 recruit in the country (#1 on ESPN), and beat out Lawrence for the Elite 11 MVP. Obviously a ton of talent, vs. a traditional "system QB". And Ryan Day was an NFL QB Coach with the 49ers. Seems like his "system" should translate pretty well. Time will tell. Fields seems like he has a good head on his shoulders, especially when compared to Haskins.

The Bears actually have a better crop of skill players than I realized. No clue how good their OL is. Robinson is a legit #1, Mooney is fast AF, and Miller has shown flashes. Couple other young WRs. Jimmy Graham and Cole Kmet are a top 10 TE duo. Montgomery, Damien Williams, and Cohen are a solid RB corps.

Back