• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

chat thread 2021: RIP Paul Mooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
this got serious. i'm about to have afternoon wine tasting in the mountains so good luck winning this thing

i used to have a reel mower when I had a small yard. now i have SLAVES that do it for me for pay

i also have used a corded electric mower, which was good - just had to come up with a plan so you weren't constantly having to move the cord

phan, it's kind of both. We already have a "tenure-like" system of promotion for Instructors who teach a 4/4 and have no research load. Some of the discussion is about allowing tenured faculty to take on more of a teaching load with a minimal research load. That would also allow research faculty to take on a smaller teaching load as well. Then there's another discussion we had in a provost's committee meeting a month ago about some other set of lines.

I share your concerns. At this point, I'm a tenure-line research faculty who doesn't feel like a thoughtful or accomplished teacher. Based on my student evaluations, my students think I'm fine so I'm getting by there. But I've been carrying a large research commitment and I'm finishing my fourth year (third as chair) of intensive committee service, so teaching has been stuck in third place.

I don't think moving to Research and Teaching faculty would create an underclass. The tiny research commitment could be filled however teaching faculty want in our department. It comes down to percentage of your time. If you're 10% research and don't want to do anything, you can get a 5 on 90% teaching and service and a 1 on 10% research, and get a 4.6 out of 5.0 on your annual report. The hope would be that Teaching faculty would do plenty of advising and publish with their students, attend conferences, and publish in teaching journals. They're full voting members and we just started adding people at the Instructor II (kind of like a Associate Teaching Professor) to our department Executive Committee. This set up works for us and I think the university is interested in spreading it to other departments.

Robot mowers seem like a cool idea but the little research I’ve done looks like it’s not worth it if you have a large yard or you care about your yard.

A groundhog absolutely tore up my labrador retriever. Stitches everywhere. She stuck her front legs and snout down in the hole and that thing ripped her up. Cone of shame for about 2 weeks. First thing she did when she got the cone off? Run right to the spot where that hole was and tried to dig it back up.

How many neighbors do you know in real life anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back