• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

chat thread 2021: RIP Paul Mooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
who here has CLEAR and how much better is it than TSA precheck?

I just reupped Global Entry/Precheck for the next four years and CLEAR at $180/year needs to be pretty gd good to get my attention

once work kicks back into gear, I imagine I'll fly 1.5/month -- maybe I can get work to pay for it

Completely airport dependent, from my experience.

If your home airport is one of the ones where Clear is “clearly” better than Precheck, then I think it’s worth it.

But it’s usually not here in Atlanta. Feels mixed at LGA. Most of the other places I fly, Precheck is more than sufficient. Clear was great for Orlando. And now I’m rambling again.

I'm just really depressed that I've leapt over the bar of angry old dude because I would ask a waiter if he could possibly turn down WAP while my family is eating lunch. I used to be cool, man.

We generally have to play instrumental versions of rap songs as our warm-up music in basketball because the olds get so up in arms about the edited versions, so maybe this area has tainted me.

I think about this often. It happened to me a few years earlier than most. I'm good with it though. Better than being the guy without kids pushing their opinions on parents.

In non-angry parenting advice. Anyone have a fix for getting unread emails notification to disappear when there are no unread emails to be found in gmail. The little 2 in my mailbox is driving me crazy (which I know some people have like 13922 on the mail icon, but I’m a purist)

Gossett is the new RJKarl.

Seriously. This is the answer. For a three year old 95% of the time the words won’t even register and on the 5% chance they do and the even slimmer chance they ask, you just say I don’t know. What the hell are you guys fighting about this for creamy.

I have a two year old. I said shit in the car the other day because I backed over one of the toys that the 5yo left out. It has become her new favorite word.

i think a lot of people, even parents of boys, are incredibly flip about sexualization of and around girls not to mention the constant hammer of 'gender roles'. Kids at age 2 are already talking about things that "boys/girls don't do" (be firefighters or superheroes).

it's not just a matter of 'having a conversation" with them about the birds and the bees. to parents of girls, there is a constant layer of bullshit you have to be on guard for/contextualize (or attempt to), unless you don't want them to participate in popular culture, which is obviously foolish.

both my brothers had kids -- one had twin girls and the other a boy

it's crazy how unconsciously gendered my vocabulary is, calling the girls sweetie and the boy buddy for example

Seriously. This is the answer. For a three year old 95% of the time the words won’t even register and on the 5% chance they do and the even slimmer chance they ask, you just say I don’t know. What the hell are you guys fighting about this for creamy.

It's less of the actual meaning behind the argument and more of pushing back on obvious trolls. I'm not going to get my blood pressure up about it, but I'm happy with anyone who wants to link up to tell me how I should raise my kid. Not something worth scoring internet points on an anonymous message board.

i think a lot of people, even parents of boys, are incredibly flip about sexualization of and around girls not to mention the constant hammer of 'gender roles'. Kids at age 2 are already talking about things that "boys/girls don't do" (be firefighters or superheroes).

it's not just a matter of 'having a conversation" with them about the birds and the bees. to parents of girls, there is a constant layer of bullshit you have to be on guard for/contextualize (or attempt to), unless you don't want them to participate in popular culture, which is obviously foolish.

makes sense/agree with all of this

I’ve a $450 delta credit from a trip out to Utah in March 2020 that was cancelled. I got reimbursed for purchasing it so technically a flight paid by somebody else that sill be used for a vacation. Just gotta figure out when/where.

Feel slightly bad about it but you can’t transfer the credit.

I am not intrested in meeting up with anyone who wants to tell me how to raise my kids.

I have a two year old. I said shit in the car the other day because I backed over one of the toys that the 5yo left out. It has become her new favorite word.

irreparable harm, imo

I understand the issues parents have with WAP -- it is incredibly explicit

but it's also notable that this song set off a different energy than the hundreds by dude rappers over the years that had comparable content -- yeah, there's always been your cultural warriors fighting against rap music, but the mainstream parent scorn against WAP was unmatched

closest I can think of was the response to Nelly's "Tip Drill" but that didn't reach this level

My daughter got sent home from kindergarten for dropping an f-bomb. I asked her how she learned that word and she said "that song about the well and the drop of water"

but it's also notable that this song set off a different energy than the hundreds by dude rappers over the years that had comparable content -- yeah, there's always been your cultural warriors fighting against rap music, but the mainstream parent scorn against WAP was unmatched

closest I can think of was the response to Nelly's "Tip Drill" but that didn't reach this level

Lotta truth to this. Why didn't we see this kinda revulsion when Foxy Brown and Lil Kim were popular. It was basically the same schtick.

both my brothers had kids -- one had twin girls and the other a boy

it's crazy how unconsciously gendered my vocabulary is, calling the girls sweetie and the boy buddy for example

I’ve thought about this a lot, as well.

For example, the guy I coach 6yo softball with calls all of the girls “sweetheart” and “baby” and I’m all like, “nice job, guys!” Not sure either is right... But if we were coaching older girls, I’d be cringing at some of the stuff he says.

I also do that with my own kids, though all of them get called “buddy”. But I wouldn’t call my son “sweet pea “. I do tell him he’s a sweet boy when he plays well with his sisters, though.

War on WAP is real and I agree with your post.

My take is that I don't want children listening to any unnecessary filthy language other than when I drop an accidental f bomb around the house.

i mean, parents have been pissed off about rap music for decades. i think it's just the fact that it's an early lunch in a probably mostly empty restaurant.

i mean, parents have been pissed off about rap music for decades. i think it's just the fact that it's an early lunch in a probably mostly empty restaurant.

That's the point. Cav's not driving around yelling at random people to turn the music down in their cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back