• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

chat thread 2021: RIP Paul Mooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I only got one A at Wake that was not in a PE class and one C, which was in the psychology divisional

I was very consistent

I think I only got one A at Wake that was not in a PE class and one C, which was in the psychology divisional

I was very consistent

Interesting. I was a psych minor, and thought it was easy AF compared to Econ (major). Also was neat that psych classes were like 5/1 girls to guys. Probably had a 3.5 in psych and 2.9 in Econ. I had a 2.0 at best in fuckin' Fred Chen's classes. Fuck that guy.

People complain about the cost for orphan drugs and I don’t think realize that when they are produced that cost isn’t necessarily affiliated with the research cost or time commitment but instead the manufacturing process. It’s expensive as hell to make a drug that goes into someone’s body, the strictest requirements and cleanest procedures.

I like to note, when ever possible, that horseshoe crab blood is a key part in making sure the procedures are clean. https://www.nhm.ac.uk/discover/horseshoe-crab-blood-miracle-vaccine-ingredient.html

I think this is weirdly the experience of many incoming wake students. That and the divisionals and wake's refusal to take 4s from AP tests (so first-year classes are the same difficulty as other requirements, which is not the case at many schools) probably contribute to this real or perceived first-year difficulty.

All my lowest grades were in divisionals. I should have waited and done the ol' OliveGardenDeac trick where you ask everyone you know for a list of their easiest classes and professors and take those, learning be damned

This discussion reminds me of the (maybe, maybe not apocryphal) story of the two Professors Raynor at Wake. He taught freshman math, she taught freshman English. Supposedly he asked his students first day of class which ones had his wife for English. Several would raise their hands. His comment: "Those will be the A's in this class. That will balance the C's they are getting from my wife."

I was a history and philosophy major and did good not great in those classes. Although I did win a departmental award for my history seminar paper and only got an A- in the class.

When I got to law school everybody complained about all the work and how hard it was but for me it was a step down from Wake in terms of workload.

Interesting. I was a psych minor, and thought it was easy AF compared to Econ (major). Also was neat that psych classes were like 5/1 girls to guys. Probably had a 3.5 in psych and 2.9 in Econ. I had a 2.0 at best in fuckin' Fred Chen's classes. Fuck that guy.

I only got like 2 A's in all of Wake and Fred Chen's econ class was one of em (Derivatives was the other). I always did best in the ones in timed things where most people couldn't finish in time doing the homework didn't help you because I never did the homework, just learned the general concepts so could comparatively crush. But fuck if you asked me to remember buzzwords for Organizational Theory and Behavior.

i got an A in accounting 111, then a D in 112 when i took the semester off; retook it in summer school and got a 100.

got an A in social dance and religion and business law.

2.78 FTW.

I only got like 2 A's in all of Wake and Fred Chen's econ class was one of em (Derivatives was the other). I always did best in the ones in timed things where most people couldn't finish in time doing the homework didn't help you because I never did the homework, just learned the general concepts so could comparatively crush. But fuck if you asked me to remember buzzwords for Organizational Theory and Behavior.

lol my dad used to guest teach an OTAB class for Dr. Brower

When I got to grad school I got made fun of for having the lowest gpa any of them had ever heard in someone admitted to a phd program. They were all phi beta kappa, summa cum laude nerds from yale and middlebury and upenn and berkeley and duke and various state schools. But like cav, the workload seemed to me totally manageable while many of the others were freaking out the first few years.

Like cav, I don't think I got an A on a single English essay despite winning two awards and doing honors. It didn't make any sense to me then, but now I understand I was a terrible writer because no one ever taught me how to write. It was that sweet, sweet Odyssey of the Mind #creativity that saved me

yeah, being a philosophy major was helpful in learning how to write coherently even I didn't retain much on actual philosophy

Not sure what I ended up with in Fred Chen’s game theory class but definitely remember being pretty lost the second half of the semester. Otherwise the biggest learning curve was around time management and study habits as others said. Hardly ever had to do anything in HS and pretty much showed up expecting to breeze through. Also like others, significantly improved my academic track record in semesters 4-8.

Started pretty poorly. With time...

tenor.gif

I got an adderall Rx my senior year and had my best semester that fall but the side effects really sucked so I bailed

probably didn't actually need it, but damn that shit is a powerful drug -- used it on big papers and study sessions

Y’all think that adderrall is basically like steroids but for school? Like is it cheating?

I’m goinna go with no, because I’m big time pro all drugs.

Gonna surprise no one, but at shitty directional colleges you have to do less than zero work and graduate with above a 3.0.

I probably spent more nights in tents while in school than days in the classroom.

i got an A in accounting 111, then a D in 112 when i took the semester off; retook it in summer school and got a 100.

got an A in social dance and religion and business law.

2.78 FTW.

Pretty much same story except got a D in intro to accounting the first time around (10% reduction from never doing homework otherwise coulda gotten by with a C and not had to retake it), and got a 100 average on at least the first two tests the 2nd time around. In 201 accounting I ended up with the 3rd highest grade out of 50..... and got a B.

Not sure what I ended up with in Fred Chen’s game theory class but definitely remember being pretty lost the second half of the semester. Otherwise the biggest learning curve was around time management and study habits as others said. Hardly ever had to do anything in HS and pretty much showed up expecting to breeze through. Also like others, significantly improved my academic track record in semesters 4-8.

Chen's game theory class was fucking brutal. I remember him saying something like he designed his tests so that the average was failing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back