• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

chat thread 2021: RIP Paul Mooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
A living wage. Mainly so that I, Johnny taxpayer, doesn't have to subsidize their income for eternity. Nobody should be making under $30K/year if they are working full time. Nobody.

Not sure I follow this... Shouldn't you be paid according to the value you bring? If everyone has their pay randomly increased to create a living wage when the value of their work doesn't actually warrant it - doesn't that by definition mean that their income is being subsidized somehow? I assume the prices of whatever commodity they are making/serving would have to rise to cover their increases and then Johnny taxpayer would be subsidizing their income by paying those higher prices - right?

That being said, I don't understand why it is not obvious that minimum wage should somehow be tied to the cost of living....

I played pickleball last weekend for the first time in a couple years, and damn do I love me some pickleball. Way better at it than tennis.

there's a story out there about how some dude decided he hated working for deloitte last year, so he decided to pick up pickleball and went pro at it and now is #2 in the world.

of course, there are three people in the world who play pickleball - #1, Deloitte guy, and tigerswood - so I'm not THAT impressed.

and apologies to tigerswood if you're actually #1

there's a story out there about how some dude decided he hated working for deloitte last year, so he decided to pick up pickleball and went pro at it and now is #2 in the world.

of course, there are three people in the world who play pickleball - #1, Deloitte guy, and tigerswood - so I'm not THAT impressed.

and apologies to tigerswood if you're actually #1

Nah bro, the olds LOVE pickleball these days. Clubs/public parks all over the place are converting tennis courts to pickleball courts, or building new ones. Surprised you don't play, TBH.

Makes me feel good that I can hang with a couple ex-college tennis players in pickleball that I'd struggle to get 2 games off in a tennis match.

My wife was watching one of those we are moving to the Caribbean help us find a place to live shows and this weirdo’s number one requirement was the place have a pickleball court. I’m pretty sure the place they picked did have one which was the trade off for not being by the ocean.

brasky i still want to know what you taught about the rise of American conservatism

my dream is to have an indoor (probably half) basketball court on my property

Not sure I follow this... Shouldn't you be paid according to the value you bring? If everyone has their pay randomly increased to create a living wage when the value of their work doesn't actually warrant it - doesn't that by definition mean that their income is being subsidized somehow? I assume the prices of whatever commodity they are making/serving would have to rise to cover their increases and then Johnny taxpayer would be subsidizing their income by paying those higher prices - right?

That being said, I don't understand why it is not obvious that minimum wage should somehow be tied to the cost of living....

The people who determine the "value" of a worker make more money by declaring those workers less valuable.

I am in Central Valley California and listening to conservative talk radio and whew boy

As someone in academia just move to Florida, Ph probably has that in his 10 million dollar home.

As someone in academia just move to Florida, Ph probably has that in his 10 million dollar home.

i have to be pretty open re: jobs obviously but FL is one of the states I absolutely refuse to move to for a teaching position.

I played pickleball last weekend for the first time in a couple years, and damn do I love me some pickleball. Way better at it than tennis.

played with my pops over the weekend after I bought me a set

I like tennis more, but I love them both

weird usually rw radio loves to identify themselves/their show

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back