• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

chat thread 2021: RIP Paul Mooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve yet to play pickleball but my parents, in particular my mom, have gotten absolutely obsessed. It’s THE go-to activity in the 55+ community they recently moved into. My mom is 56 so I think she largely just enjoys beating the shit out of the olds.

The people who determine the "value" of a worker make more money by declaring those workers less valuable.

This is a very complicated discussion and of course the people doing the hiring will pay people as little as they can in order to make more money for themselves. But, the situation is not so simple that operators can simply pay people way less than their work is "worth" and get away with it. If the work has more value then there should always be someone else who will pay more for it. This is sort of happening now - since people are being paid more to not work, through increased unemployment payments, companies are being forced to offer higher wages to entice people to come back to work. Employers are being forced to compete for labor against the government (who is providing the enhanced unemployment) instead of other employers.

At the minimum wage level it seems that people needing work typically outnumber the jobs - that is why employers can get away with paying the minimum. And that is why the protections of the minimum wage are needed - and should increase with increased cost of living.

Our neighborhood just announced that it’s putting pickleball lines on one of our tennis courts.

I was really hoping for a basketball court but no dice. Our driveway is too slanted for one but there is a park nearby that has one.

This is a very complicated discussion and of course the people doing the hiring will pay people as little as they can in order to make more money for themselves. But, the situation is not so simple that operators can simply pay people way less than their work is "worth" and get away with it. If the work has more value then there should always be someone else who will pay more for it. This is sort of happening now - since people are being paid more to not work, through increased unemployment payments, companies are being forced to offer higher wages to entice people to come back to work. Employers are being forced to compete for labor against the government (who is providing the enhanced unemployment) instead of other employers.

At the minimum wage level it seems that people needing work typically outnumber the jobs - that is why employers can get away with paying the minimum. And that is why the protections of the minimum wage are needed - and should increase with increased cost of living.

We pretty much agree if you’re saying we need government to mandate a minimum wage and compete for talent because otherwise employers will overpay themselves rather than pay their workers enough to live.

Yeah and their damn Charlotte show is on a Monday night. oh well, I'll just have to settle for JRAD that following Saturday.

Scared of a Monday night rager? That baby seems to be making you soft!

Thinking Hershey

Nice!

I'll do night 1 (friday) in CO - that's my anniversary weekend, so I should probably keep Saturday open to spend with my wife.

Scared of a Monday night rager? That baby seems to be making you soft!

Nice!

I'll do night 1 (friday) in CO - that's my anniversary weekend, so I should probably keep Saturday open to spend with my wife.

it's not the show, it's the driving back home. if it was a weekend night I'd do it. I will def go to weeknight shows here, but haven't done a concert since Halloween 2019. No Xmas Jam that year, then baby December 2019, then Covid. but I had some shows planned even with the baby before Covid hit. I'm ready to get the fuck down at some shows.

JRAD is a holdover from April of last year. Still holding on to 2 nights of the Truckers that were originally the week before JRAD last year. Bought 2 for Billy Strings in October. Hoping Leftover Salmon comes back for their annual Blue Ridge Jam in September, hoping for Xmas Jam to come back and hopefully some other cool shows are announced. Might hit Wilco/Sleater-Kinney in August.

I just had a student who was drinking a Bang and eating a Lunchable at 8:30 in the morning tell me that she was not gonna get a vaccine because she was concerned about what it would do to her body. She also was caught vaping in the bathroom last week.

Y’all ever think about what could be in the Amazon rainforest? Like all the civilizations & buildings? Wild.

Y’all ever think about what could be in the Amazon rainforest? Like all the civilizations & buildings? Wild.

yeah but we already got the space tech with unlocks the full world map and it's just a few of these and at this point in the game you just get like, 10 gold or whatever

latest

Feels weird getting back from the dentist and immediately bathing my teeth in coffee but it’s Friday am, gotta do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back