• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

chat thread 2021: RIP Paul Mooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drove past the GA Governor’s mansion yesterday and one of those robotic electric lawn mowers was cutting the front lawn. For some reason I find that hilarious.

The guy whose most memorable ad was pointing a shotgun at his daughter’s pretend boyfriend to show how tough he was and his support of the second amendment uses an electric robot to cut his grass.

That’s not a judgment. I use an electric robot to vacuum and pay a lawn service to cut my grass.

I drove past the GA Governor’s mansion yesterday and one of those robotic electric lawn mowers was cutting the front lawn. For some reason I find that hilarious.

The guy whose most memorable ad was pointing a shotgun at his daughter’s pretend boyfriend to show how tough he was and his support of the second amendment uses an electric robot to cut his grass.

That’s not a judgment. I use an electric robot to vacuum and pay a lawn service to cut my grass.

I get your point, but I'm pretty sure he has nothing to do with the maintenance of that yard.

I am actually surprised they use a robot to cut that grass... It is a HUGE yard of grass. And Paces Ferry is always a slow drive, in part due to the quantity of landscapers and equipment just sitting on the side of the road.

The visual of Brian Kemp sitting on a riding lawn mower in a sleeveless t-shirt drinking a budweiser is fun, though.

i feel like "craft that can go fast in strange directions" is achievable in less than 1,000 years

1,000 years is guys on horses with spears to flying a helicopter on mars

Plus the rate of change and technological advancement is increasing. Look at the difference between the year 800 and 1000, and then compare it to 1821 vs. today

Plus the rate of change and technological advancement is increasing. Look at the difference between the year 800 and 1000, and then compare it to 1821 vs. today

I very seriously doubt human civilization is a thing in a thousand years, tbh.

I see you and raise you being a woman. All the things you've said, plus trying to balance pregnancy, maternity leave and what that may or may not do to career opportunities, as late 30s is usually when most dudes make that next jump. Not to mention physical recovery and what impact that may have on outside hobbies.

Yeah man. Add to that the sociology of having female friends at that age. Huge potential for tons of passive-aggressive competition among mid/late 30s women.

There are way more reasons why we won’t exist than there are good reasons why we will be able to survive.

ats' fatalism is always kinda funny to me

Yeah, it's no secret that I feel like politically we are just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

Lots of focus on minor issues designed to divide the country instead of actual problem solving on things that could make a difference.

I think fatalism implies events are predetermined / inevitable... I wouldn't characterize it that way. I just think we are collectively dumb and our brains work in a very short-sighted way. At some point, you have to pay the price on that.

Yeah, it's no secret that I feel like politically we are just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

Lots of focus on minor issues designed to divide the country instead of actual problem solving on things that could make a difference.

I think fatalism implies events are predetermined / inevitable... I wouldn't characterize it that way. I just think we are collectively dumb and our brains work in a very short-sighted way. At some point, you have to pay the price on that.

i feel this way about climate change, people putting their faith in either market-based or technology-based solutions for this are way off; my guess is your fatalism is about something else, though

curious what you think is on the list of "actual problems" that is going unaddressed

i feel this way about climate change, people putting their faith in either market-based or technology-based solutions for this are way off; my guess is your fatalism is about something else, though

This is a great example. Activists tried to kill nuclear energy and now we're starting to realize that it is pretty much the only way (in the intermediate term) to get anywhere near our goals. Or the fairly recent documentary showing how shitty biomass, solar, and wind are as actual solutions. Or the fact the EVs still need to run off a grid that is largely based on fossil fuels. I mean, the EIA basically came out the other day and said that everyone in the world is going to have to use significantly less power/energy in order for us to get anywhere near our goals and their conclusions were basically ignored as an impossibility.

I absolutely believe there is a chance that we make the world uninhabitable for humans... But I think as that becomes more apparent and we start to have real issues, we'll probably kill off each other anyway in a grab for finite resources.

Idk, even if I disregard out the whole fact that we have enough nukes to blow up the world 1000 times over and yet collectively we put Donald Trump in power so we're not above putting crazy in charge of the nuclear football, I just don't see humanity getting it's shit together collectively when it comes to the environment in the next century enough to avoid catastrophic climate change and all that it entails. We're a pretty terrible cocktail of apathy and greed as a species, and we've managed to fuck up an insane amount of shit in a short amount of time, so I'm just not super hopeful for the longterm prospects of civilization. Add that to the fact that the majority of technological innovation in the last decade has been dedicated to either distracting us or making us outright dumber as a whole, and I'm just kinda meh on the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back