• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

chat thread 2021: RIP Paul Mooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
ya'll just have a narrow view of what "civilization" means, i guess. or you actually think humans will go extinct

You can look at the covid pandemic either as a positive or a negative. Positive, proof that we have the capacity to science the fuck out of a problem and get a solution in record time, negative pretty much everything else. Up the mortality rate of the virus and it would just amplify all the negative.

Horrible take. Women’s friendships in their 30s and beyond are generally more fulfilling and consistent. I think within the next decade or so you’re going to see more and more women forego marriage and chose to cohabitate and co-parent with their women friends instead.

I agree with the first half there, not so much the second. Maybe intentional communities as a whole will become more prevalent, but I almost see that as an effect of COVID more than anything else. I do think friendship is one area where women have the def. leg up on men, though. The lack of deep, honest friendships where REAL SHIT is discussed is a significant issue for men. Dunno, maybe I'm wrong but I don't think so.

re: civilization and all that jazz. COVID has raised everyone's lizard brains on high alert, and now when things like gas crises seem imminent, people make them REAL by freaking out - even if it wasn't projected to impact their area anyway. There's been little repeated tastes here and there about what happens if you're not prepared, so suddenly everyone is poised to jump and "prepare" for the next big thing when they catch a whiff of an issue (which is funny, because being reactive is kind of the opposite of being truly prepared). I also agree that our politics are rearranging chairs on the titanic. Current two-party dynamics have created an environment where it's practically impossible to come together to solve anything. It's not even, "Yes, climate change is a real issue and we have different ideologies for how to address it," it's boiled down to "climate change is a real issue" vs. "no it's not" and that is just stupid.

I do think friendship is one area where women have the def. leg up on men, though. The lack of deep, honest friendships where REAL SHIT is discussed is a significant issue for men. Dunno, maybe I'm wrong but I don't think so.

meh. something to be said for gender performativity getting in the way of men expressing themselves to one another but I've generally had honest discussions with my closest male friends when the topic is serious.

but also i'm pretty reticent to essentialize gender ("there's just something about women that X, there's just something about men that Y") so I'll admit my bias

also i teach interpersonal communication and my gf works as a therapist so yeah pretty open dude when it comes to FEELINGS

lemme assure you all team friendship is in our feelings all day

lemme assure you all team friendship is in our feelings all day

feelings are real and good and any desire to pretend you don't have them is almost always impressed upon you for someone else's benefit

I agree with all of you, but I also believe this is a somewhat selective group in that we're all graduates of a liberal arts school, many of us with degrees in humanities. I would expect the performative gender displays to be more middle-ground as compared to the population at large.

Fund the humanities

Outside of using something like a liberal arts degree to then go further and get a secondary degree in something how do funding humanities solve problems? Make society more educated and well rounded and therefore informed in their decisions?

Went looking for a creation myth
Ended up with a pair of cracked lips

Outside of using something like a liberal arts degree to then go further and get a secondary degree in something how do funding humanities solve problems? Make society more educated and well rounded and therefore informed in their decisions?

Yes, precisely! The whole "using" your degree fallacy (like higher education's narrow and uncritical focus on producing STEM graduates) is a symptom of neoliberal thinking in many cases.

The humanities teach ways of thinking and strategies for addressing a variety of kinds of real world problems.

(Also, math is a liberal arts degree, so I tend to use "humanities" to better get at the kind of training I'm talking about)

Would you ask the same question about funding the arts?

Sometimes the real world application isn't immediately realized or lucrative

unless your college is funding 4 tenured professors with like 10 majors/year

then you can definitely defund the department.

Universities should not be run like businesses for a profit with a primary purpose of making rich alumni who can further enrich their alma maters

They should sustain or operate at loss, with massive higher ed public support, at low to no consumer cost, with a mission to produce thinking citizens of the world who may contribute to its progress

Universities should not be run like businesses for a profit with a primary purpose of making rich alumni who can further enrich their alma maters

They should sustain or operate at loss, with massive higher ed public support, at low to no consumer cost, with a mission to produce thinking citizens of the world who may contribute to its progress

Sounds like a place with a loser football team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back