• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

chat thread 2021: RIP Paul Mooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
damn that's definitely not the order I'm doing it in

is biff gonna try to steal this chat thread as well

Yo itc explain what you meant above. I gotta know!

We are having a groundhog problem. They were living under house when we bought it and can't get rid of them. One just trapped my dog in yard. Any ideas???

Top comment:

Marlene M - They can’t resist cantaloupe. Use the rinds to bait them. Maybe you can safe trap them and relocate them.

Following, 2nd most liked comment(s):

Paul S - let them live!

Donna R: paul s, she did not even mention killing it. They can be very mean if cornered by a dog or even a child.

28 response thread and growing - this is a hot topic, guys

damn that's definitely not the order I'm doing it in
A painful lesson I had to learn (long after having been told) was that teaching is the area of the job where you should expend the least amount of time and energy.

Not really how it works in practice nor the way I'd prefer it to be. And obviously that will vary depending on what kind of job you end up with.

Really cuts into my indoctrination time though

Lame! Your drive-by posting is no better than Angus'.

At least you inspired some conversation

We are having a groundhog problem. They were living under house when we bought it and can't get rid of them. One just trapped my dog in yard. Any ideas???

Top comment:

Marlene M - They can’t resist cantaloupe. Use the rinds to bait them. Maybe you can safe trap them and relocate them.

Following, 2nd most liked comment(s):

Paul S - let them live!

Donna R: paul s, she did not even mention killing it. They can be very mean if cornered by a dog or even a child.

28 response thread and growing - this is a hot topic, guys

28 responses? That’s nothing. Start a vaccine thread to get some real action going.

I actually have to leave my office and won’t be able to post until tomorrow.

But I can formulate a response later.

A painful lesson I had to learn (long after having been told) was that teaching is the area of the job where you should expend the least amount of time and energy.

Not really how it works in practice nor the way I'd prefer it to be. And obviously that will vary depending on what kind of job you end up with.

Really cuts into my indoctrination time though

We are starting to have discussions about appointing tenured faculty as teaching faculty to allow them to focus more on teaching and advising and have a tiny research commitment. I know plenty of faculty who would jump at that.

University indirect is a scam. I remember the first time they came in to count Ethernet ports in lab, I was like what the fuck are you doing. Need to save money by bumming free wi-fi like you’re a poor student in an apartment. Also the fact that indirects are essentially a budget item so it doesn’t matter what the amount of something you have the costs remain fixed as a necessity to keep everything the same. Like we were paying something like $500,000 to house and care for a group of non-human primates, reduced the colony by half and the next year what does it cost $500,000. Complete bullshit.

Our indirect has been 49.5% for while now. That means 49.5% of all but a few expenditures (tuition, participant costs) goes back to the university. We may our grad students around $23/hr. For every hour we pay our grad students, the university takes about $11. For what? Some shit. Probably administrative bloat.

But 49.5% is pretty good. Last year, I worked with a poster on a grant proposal and his institution’s indirect was like 55%. At that point, you’re just getting pimped.

We are starting to have discussions about appointing tenured faculty as teaching faculty to allow them to focus more on teaching and advising and have a tiny research commitment. I know plenty of faculty who would jump at that.

Conversations like these are happening across the US, though there are some concerns that this is just another move toward eventually abolishing tenure protections.

By "appointing tenured faculty" I'm assuming you mean creating a tenure-line-like structure for teaching faculty (and not already-tenured faculty jumping laterally to a new track. Correct me if I'm wrong). Wake's English department did something like this a number of years ago.

Part of the problem I see with this, especially at a research university, is that the creation of this track sends the message that tenure-line research faculty aren't thoughtful and accomplished teachers. It also conflicts with a basic tenet of the academic model which is the assumption that research informs what students are learning in the classroom.

In practice, of course, neither of those things has to be true to support effective teaching, but I'd worry also that it risks creating (yet another) professional underclass. That tiny research commitment would likely be accomplished through continuing education, conferences, and teaching publications. What about service? Are they full voting members? Will your current adjuncts or non-TT lecturers be able to compete for those positions? Or is the only distinction a higher course load?

Interesting questions, and I don't have the answers.

28 responses? That’s nothing. Start a vaccine thread to get some real action going.

For real. 28 posts to be a top response... that's the average first 5min of a "DID ANYONE ELSE HERE [sic] THAT LOUD BOOM?" in which 28 people go "I think it was a gun!!!"

Also, phdeac, I'm also trying to think about it from the perspective of the lecturers who are already teaching high course loads (and in the case of early career people with other ambitions) doing the research too.

If a track like that gives the NTT people an opportunity for advancement and longer contracts or access to stable health benefits it seems like a good thing.

I don't really see teaching quality improving though if you're just dropping research requirements from already-tenured faculty.

anyone have a (non-robot) electric mower?

I've always thought electric yard equipment were pretty weak, but my buddy loves his electric mower and our building needs a new one

battery, not corded

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back