• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

chat thread 2021: RIP Paul Mooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
>Anne Frank is trending on Twitter dot com
>clicks to see whats up
>oh

Well taxpayers paid a fuckton for the primary research behind those orphan drugs a lot of the time

Yeah besides the currently very small division the US government should put more money and effort to get into the “business” of making drugs.

I knew it would be tough academically but my first night in the dorm was the first time I had heard the nickname Work Forest or that it had just showed up on some survey as having the second hardest workload in the country.
To be fair, I'd never heard this nickname either and didn't know our reputation, following UChicago, for where fun goes to die.

I just grew up in Winston going to all the games and loved the sports and knew it was a good school. And it would be free, that helped.

Turns out it wasn’t Lyme, it was rabies. And it wasn’t a tick, it was a raccoon, which explains why my freezer is all torn up after putting it in there in case it needed to be tested later.

Do they still give you shots in the abdomen for rabies? That always terrified me as a kid when my parents told me that was the treatment.

Hold on here. You got bitten by a raccoon, somehow managed to capture it, and then stuck it alive in the freezer to keep for later? Or am I being trolled?

These methodologies are always nonsense, but there are very few schools in the US with a system of divisional requirements as stringent as wake's. I have zero doubt that wfu has one of, if not *the*, hardest freshman workload of any school in the US.

Cav's post didn't included the word "freshman" but that's the category I remember us being ranked second behind Dartmouth.

These storms the last couple days are messing with my body/mind re: time - it's darker outside right now than it usually is at 8:30.

I never heard work forest either till I got there. Fortunately I heard it before it was time to pick classes first semester so I dodged philosophy and the like where others suffered.

I guess -- I just wasn't a very good student or hard worker and I got out okay

hardly made any A's, but only once got anything below a B

and I think Cav and I had the same major

think I got a C in stat and a D in German my first semester but after that I brought the grades up when dad put the fear of god in me

that was a weird time in my life - i remember sitting down at the AP Lit test center and just ... not writing any of the required essays

I guess -- I just wasn't a very good student or hard worker and I got out okay

hardly made any A's, but only once got anything below a B

and I think Cav and I had the same major

I kind of skated through HS and never learned how to study, focusing on sports, friends, girls, etc. Try to skate through Wake and get too focused on being a college kid and all the fun that entails, and you end up with a sub 3.0 GPA for sure. Something finally clicked Junior year and I really learned how to study hard and effectively. My last 4 semesters of college were almost a full point higher GPA than my first 4. 3.6 vs. 2.7 I think.

think I got a C in stat and a D in German my first semester but after that I brought the grades up when dad put the fear of god in me

that was a weird time in my life - i remember sitting down at the AP Lit test center and just ... not writing any of the required essays

Prof. McAllister?

I kind of skated through HS and never learned how to study, focusing on sports, friends, girls, etc. Try to skate through Wake and get too focused on being a college kid and all the fun that entails, and you end up with a sub 3.0 GPA for sure. Something finally clicked Junior year and I really learned how to study hard and effectively. My last 4 semesters of college were almost a full point higher GPA than my first 4. 3.6 vs. 2.7 I think.

I had a similar story, though I had good grades to start at wake and then I started to skate when classes got harder which didn’t work

I kind of skated through HS and never learned how to study, focusing on sports, friends, girls, etc. Try to skate through Wake and get too focused on being a college kid and all the fun that entails, and you end up with a sub 3.0 GPA for sure.
I think this is weirdly the experience of many incoming wake students. That and the divisionals and wake's refusal to take 4s from AP tests (so first-year classes are the same difficulty as other requirements, which is not the case at many schools) probably contribute to this real or perceived first-year difficulty.

All my lowest grades were in divisionals. I should have waited and done the ol' OliveGardenDeac trick where you ask everyone you know for a list of their easiest classes and professors and take those, learning be damned

My GPA got progressively worse every semester I think

I had a similar story, though I had good grades to start at wake and then I started to skate when classes got harder which didn’t work
Probably didn't help that you discovered liquor and got a serious girlfriend

That serious girlfriend was nothing but a good influence on me

I did discover liquor though. And wine. I love wine.

Hold on here. You got bitten by a raccoon, somehow managed to capture it, and then stuck it alive in the freezer to keep for later? Or am I being trolled?

The entire concept of something like that happening amused me so I posted it. It was a tick and I am getting drugs to stave off the Lyme.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back