• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

chat thread 2021: RIP Paul Mooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
as someone who grew up in a very sheltered home and has experienced resentfulness about it, I can be #triggered by certain parenting decisions even when they're appropriate

I didn’t curse in front of my parents until I was 16. I remember the exact context. My wife and her #phillystrong family think that is hilarious.

probably the same for me, though i don't remember exactly. i do remember swearing on the golf course way earlier with my dad.

i do remember my first F bomb; i was 11 and my friend smashed me in the face with a croquet mallet ( on a golf-like backswing)

I remember the first time I played golf with my Dad as an adult and he not only used words I didn’t know he knew, he strung them together in a logical and coherent method.

I remember the first time I played golf with my Dad as an adult and he not only used words I didn’t know he knew, he strung them together in a logical and coherent method.

Yeah, I just realized that my kids ride along frequently while my wife and I play golf and maybe I should sit out the whole WAP discussion.

i think a lot of people, even parents of boys, are incredibly flip about sexualization of and around girls not to mention the constant hammer of 'gender roles'. Kids at age 2 are already talking about things that "boys/girls don't do" (be firefighters or superheroes).

it's not just a matter of 'having a conversation" with them about the birds and the bees. to parents of girls, there is a constant layer of bullshit you have to be on guard for/contextualize (or attempt to), unless you don't want them to participate in popular culture, which is obviously foolish.

The part about the girls is so true. My 7yo daughter has always been so impressive to me because she's a good balance of girly girl stuff and also "boy" stuff. Likes sports a lot, but wants to wear unicorns and butterflys. Plays video games and likes to dig in the mud to find bugs. These are poor examples, but my point is that she's just a kid trying to have fun. But as she's gotten older, I've learned that I will never be able to compete with the time she has at school and with friends. The pressure to fit in overwhelms pretty much everything else (not that I think it is a conscious thought in her head). For example, if she's in a group of girls and someone is scared of a bug, she'll scream and act all scared when I know the other day she was searching for slugs and snakes in our backyard. She's also become "boy crazy" already... Which is scary for me. I thought I had years to worry about that shit.

But on the other hand, my 2yo son is a boy. Even with all of the influences he's had from his older sisters, he's all about trucks and superheros, and has been from day one. He's fine when his sisters dress him up like a princess, but if he's alone it is going to be dinosaur boots, a spiderman shirt, and some sort of toy weapon. There are absolutely differences between genders, which I'm not sure I believed before I had 3 kids of my own.

I curse like a sailor in appropriate scenarios. But, the explicit language over the sound system in a restaurant at lunch discussion doesn't necessarily need to be limited to a parenting discussion. I wouldn't necessarily want to be eating lunch with my wife and our couple friends and be subjected to that either. It is really a time and place kind of discussion - there is a time and a place for that music and a restaurant at lunch does not seem to be it.

wow a lot of posters playing golf with their dads

can't say that's a thing i've done (as a child or otherwise)

my dad taught me how to play; basically the only person i played with until I was in HS when i taught a few friends/played for the school team

The part about the girls is so true. My 7yo daughter has always been so impressive to me because she's a good balance of girly girl stuff and also "boy" stuff. Likes sports a lot, but wants to wear unicorns and butterflys. Plays video games and likes to dig in the mud to find bugs. These are poor examples, but my point is that she's just a kid trying to have fun. But as she's gotten older, I've learned that I will never be able to compete with the time she has at school and with friends. The pressure to fit in overwhelms pretty much everything else (not that I think it is a conscious thought in her head). For example, if she's in a group of girls and someone is scared of a bug, she'll scream and act all scared when I know the other day she was searching for slugs and snakes in our backyard. She's also become "boy crazy" already... Which is scary for me. I thought I had years to worry about that shit.

But on the other hand, my 2yo son is a boy. Even with all of the influences he's had from his older sisters, he's all about trucks and superheros, and has been from day one. He's fine when his sisters dress him up like a princess, but if he's alone it is going to be dinosaur boots, a spiderman shirt, and some sort of toy weapon. There are absolutely differences between genders, which I'm not sure I believed before I had 3 kids of my own.

I have different limits on what the boy and girl are allowed to do. If the boy has a friend over, they are allowed to ride bikes to get ice cream on Main St. The girl is not. She has a hard time understanding that she is at greater risk of kidnapping and she is way more gullible. The kid that does soccer, wrestling, track has a bad attitude and is a skeptical smart ass, is safer than the kid that likes decorating her room, candy and puppies.

i think a lot of people, even parents of boys, are incredibly flip about sexualization of and around girls not to mention the constant hammer of 'gender roles'.

You've really got to stop using this invented word. Even if it is your own abbreviation for "flippant" it doesn't mean what you want it to mean.

I was totally about to call you out for a malapropism here and then I googled it and realized that I have been saying this incorrectly my entire life and I didn't need another reminder of the fact that I'm hella dumb this morning.
Deep seeded. I mean, probably nobody has noticed but damn. I've definitely written it incorrectly roughly a million times.
This kind of mistake (probably more of a linguistic "eggcorn" rather than a malapropism because there is a weird logic to the substitution) is a pretty neat way to see who discovered words and phrases from hearing them versus reading them. I'm the opposite: I have had a ton of mispronounciations in my vocabulary because I first encountered words and phrases in writing.

Also, you can tell a lot about a man by whether he chooses mrs. malaprop or dogberry in these circumstances. I'm a malaprop man myself.

(Have you been teaching Sheridan lately or something? That's your second recent reference to malapropisms)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back