• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

chat thread 2021: RIP Paul Mooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
gonna +1 u here and claim there are no linguistic "mistakes" they're all examples of parapraxis

does she like birds

Yes, She is my birding buddy. We go on week end camping trips for birding hikes. She has her own field guide and likes to try and distinguish sparrow species by studying the thickness and pattern of streaks on the chest. Her new years resolution was to see a crested caracara and a burrowing owl in 2021. She's an awesome kid for so many reasons, but this is my favorite.

Yes, She is my birding buddy. We go on week end camping trips for birding hikes. She has her own field guide and likes to try and distinguish sparrow species by studying the thickness and pattern of streaks on the chest. Her new years resolution was to see a crested caracara and a burrowing owl in 2021. She's an awesome kid for so many reasons, but this is my favorite.

that is incredibly dope and i hold a lot of love for a relationship like that

This kind of mistake (probably more of a linguistic "eggcorn" rather than a malapropism because there is a weird logic to the substitution) is a pretty neat way to see who discovered words and phrases from hearing them versus reading them. I'm the opposite: I have had a ton of mispronounciations in my vocabulary because I first encountered words and phrases in writing.

Also, you can tell a lot about a man by whether he chooses mrs. malaprop or dogberry in these circumstances. I'm a malaprop man myself.

(Have you been teaching Sheridan lately or something? That's your second recent reference to malapropisms)

No, but I'm a huge fan of The Sopranos and Little Carmine is my favorite character.

This kind of mistake (probably more of a linguistic "eggcorn" rather than a malapropism because there is a weird logic to the substitution) is a pretty neat way to see who discovered words and phrases from hearing them versus reading them. I'm the opposite: I have had a ton of mispronounciations in my vocabulary because I first encountered words and phrases in writing.

Also, you can tell a lot about a man by whether he chooses mrs. malaprop or dogberry in these circumstances. I'm a malaprop man myself.

(Have you been teaching Sheridan lately or something? That's your second recent reference to malapropisms)

yeah my brother is always correcting my pronunciations, especially on proper nouns related to current events because I read about them and he listens to podcasts

gonna +1 u here and claim there are no linguistic "mistakes" they're all examples of parapraxis
Naw, it's not being prescriptive (in my opinion) to ask that ask that each individual not invent their own language (if they expect to be understood).

Also, I hope I never have to use the word parapraxis. Isn't that some Freudian shit?

Probably appropriate for ITC: let's chop dicks!

Naw, it's not being prescriptive (in my opinion) to ask that ask that each individual not invent their own language (if they expect to be understood).

Also, I hope I never have to use the word parapraxis. Isn't that some Freudian shit?

why would "flippant" be wrong

this is 100% me. I pronounced "behemoth" as if it was "bay-uh-mawth" (think Beowulf) for years. I also mispronounced quay for years and am still not comfortable saying "key" for it, so I try to avoid it.

learned this weekend that my mother in law apparently berated a waiter at a mexican restaurant and told them that they need to learn the language if they're going to take her order. :facepalm:

learned this weekend that my mother in law apparently berated a waiter at a mexican restaurant and told them that they need to learn the language if they're going to take her order. :facepalm:

How do you say "can you please turn off WAP" in Spanish?

Went downstairs to grab lunch and my 1.5 year old, who has recently learned to operate the Sonos (or at least hit play to resume what was last playing), had hit play 20-30 min ago and this song was playing: https://genius.com/Girl-in-red-you-stupid-bitch-lyrics

Wooooops

lunch talk!!

i had been craving a good sandwich for quite some time so i picked up some fresh deli meat from publix and made one for dinner the other night. stone ground dijon honey mustard, greens, ham, turkey, pepperoni, smoked cheddar. only wish i had sourdough to put it on but dave's killer sprouted wheat isn't bad. was a very good sandwich and might make another tonight.

lunch talk!!

i had been craving a good sandwich for quite some time so i picked up some fresh deli meat from publix and made one for dinner the other night. stone ground dijon honey mustard, greens, ham, turkey, pepperoni, smoked cheddar. only wish i had sourdough to put it on but dave's killer sprouted wheat isn't bad. was a very good sandwich and might make another tonight.

I eat a grilled chicken salad for lunch every weekday.

lunch talk!!

Love a good sandwich with all the fixins. Not a huge sprouted wheat guy though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back