• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

chat thread 2021: RIP Paul Mooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Naw, it's not being prescriptive (in my opinion) to ask that ask that each individual not invent their own language (if they expect to be understood).

Also, I hope I never have to use the word parapraxis. Isn't that some Freudian shit?

Probably appropriate for ITC: let's chop dicks!

individuals don't invent languages tho - they speak uniquely drawing upon their own entrance into symbolic use

also total/complete/unified communication is impossible and we navigate this impossibility/attempt to manage it through rhetoric

lunch talk!!

i had been craving a good sandwich for quite some time so i picked up some fresh deli meat from publix and made one for dinner the other night. stone ground dijon honey mustard, greens, ham, turkey, pepperoni, smoked cheddar. only wish i had sourdough to put it on but dave's killer sprouted wheat isn't bad. was a very good sandwich and might make another tonight.

Leftover pizza for me today - BBQ chicken and a Sausage/Shallot - 36 hour rise on the dough, cooked in the ooni last night.

p sure i said this in the last 2 weeks but the fresh market chicken salad is delicious and a pound comes with 4 croissants for sandwiches.

Split a Publix sub with my wife.

We each get half.

My half then gets eaten mostly by my 4yo and 2yo, who take turns saying "can I have a bite?" over and over again until I give in.

Then I wait for them to leave and I eat Twizzlers or something instead.

I can see why mako is in better shape than me.

Salad w/chicken. Grill it all up Sunday night and eat it through the week.

FIGURES. Shit man I was hoping to get a new Chicken Salad recipe.

Okay do you marinate your chicken before you grill it? Dry Rub? Sauce? Give me the DEETS. I need to try out some new stuff grilling chicken this summer.

why would "flippant" be wrong

Ok, having re-read your post three or four times now what I think you're saying is that "a lot of people" < are not serious or are disrespectful > about the problem of sexualization.

If that's the case, then "flippant" makes sense. Where you lost me is the parenthetical "even parents of boys" (which suggests that's it's surprising that parents of boys would not take sexualization seriously, which I guess I don't understand) and the missing context for how "the constant hammer of gender roles" fits into the argument about flippant people. Are "kids at age 2" talking about gender roles because people are flippant about how they talk about sexualization?

In fact, this would all make a lot of sense if you'd chosen a more precise word there. So even though townie's prescriptive pendulum has swung from his collegiate days as grammar nazi to the champion of descriptivist variety (a position which I agree with in practice), I think he'd agree that more precision is always better.

i think a lot of people, even parents of boys, are incredibly flip about sexualization of and around girls not to mention the constant hammer of 'gender roles'. Kids at age 2 are already talking about things that "boys/girls don't do" (be firefighters or superheroes).

it's not just a matter of 'having a conversation" with them about the birds and the bees. to parents of girls, there is a constant layer of bullshit you have to be on guard for/contextualize (or attempt to), unless you don't want them to participate in popular culture, which is obviously foolish.

buncha grammer nerds itt

for all in tents and porpoises, i could care less

Split a Publix sub with my wife.

We each get half.

My half then gets eaten mostly by my 4yo and 2yo, who take turns saying "can I have a bite?" over and over again until I give in.

Then I wait for them to leave and I eat Twizzlers or something instead.

I can see why mako is in better shape than me.

My kids do this with eggs. They don't want eggs until I make eggs, then they want all my eggs.

Okay do you marinate your chicken before you grill it? Dry Rub? Sauce? Give me the DEETS. I need to try out some new stuff grilling chicken this summer.

We did one last year with Greek Yogurt instead of mayonnaise that was pretty great.

I also had salad with grilled chicken. Get a couple of salad bag kits and do that during the week.

summertime i do a lot of cilantro lime chicken

I am correct that "flip" is a nonstandard and possibly invented word that annoys me unnecessarily.

Kory is correct that rhetoric is a thing.

is itc's use of "flip" rhetorical

praying you don't take the (neo-)Aristotelian path here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back