• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

chat thread 2021: RIP Paul Mooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
asked this prior and don't think I got any responses: any urban folks use pay-per-mile car insurance?

16:29 for me today - def a tougher thursday, although i caught onto the theme quickly at 31D/43A. I haven't had a RED DOG in 20+ years and had no idea they still sell it.

people who know Boone/App - are there any nice hotels/resorts up there? Trying to get a place booked for parents weekend in Sept and I have no idea what is nice vs. a hampton inn.

Once you figure out the field of psychology is rooted in the last sort of paper, it blows the whole thing apart.

I’ve seen some other good iterations of that meme as well. I’ll try to find them.

I’m mostly pleased with academic papers in my field except for the ones that overuse the same nationally representative longitudinal datasets. And of course, when my papers get rejected.

bunch of humanities fields have been circulating unique versions of the meme

asked this prior and don't think I got any responses: any urban folks use pay-per-mile car insurance?

I don't, though I know that my premium with USAA is partially based on my mileage. I think that the pay-per-mile places you're looking at could probably a lot cheaper than what I ultimately pay but I really like USAA and wouldn't want to leave.

Every crossword day (excluding mon and tues bc they’re all pretty easy) my record time is way better than my average. Except Thursday. Every puzzle tends to take me 20-25 mins and I have yet to break one quickly. Today was the same way.

Is there any way to know, other than just figuring it out, which puzzles have merged boxes like this one or gimmicks that totally throw you off?

I think there are a ton of shitty papers out there, especially because there are so many shitty journals. Also tying publishing requirements to advancement starting from the very beginning, such as the necessity of first author papers tied to graduation, really ups the level of bad.

Is there any way to know, other than just figuring it out, which puzzles have merged boxes like this one or gimmicks that totally throw you off?

Not that I know of, other than I don’t expect tricks or quirks until Thursday. Sometimes they have those circled or shaded boxes as well to suggest somethings up.

I think there are a ton of shitty papers out there, especially because there are so many shitty journals. Also tying publishing requirements to advancement starting from the very beginning, such as the necessity of first author papers tied to graduation, really ups the level of bad.

Yep.

The Atlantic weighed in and linked several field specific ones.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science...-paper-meme-nails-academic-publishing/618810/

Here’s one for sociology and it’s pretty spot on.

a7c842a01b573a0565f4c88fb64c2c82.jpg

people who know Boone/App - are there any nice hotels/resorts up there? Trying to get a place booked for parents weekend in Sept and I have no idea what is nice vs. a hampton inn.

Chetola is good. Airbnb might be a better bet. There’s also a community near Seven Devils but I’m blanking on the name that my friend’s family would always rent in.

the main downside i see is that there are only a handful of companies that do it and they don't seem to be tops at paying out on claims

"I made up a new form of Capital" - reading McKenzie Wark's 2019 book and she is just going to town on that line of thought

You can crash in my basement.

We had asked if the in-laws could watch our son for a weekend toward the end of the month so we could do a local getaway but they could only do next weekend. Nothing good is available except the Grove Park so might be a local staycation. Anyone got some NC mountain resorts they like?

About this time last year, the wife and I went up to the Banner Elk Winery. They have a nice villa/B&B on the property. Wine was surprisingly good, live music on the weekend during the day. And a great jumping off point to mess around Banner Elk, Blowing Rock, Grandfather, the BRP, etc. Hiked a bunch, ate at Artisinal nearby which one of my top 5 favorite restaurants in NC, hit a couple breweries. Nice little mountain getaway.

About this time last year, the wife and I went up to the Banner Elk Winery. They have a nice villa/B&B on the property. Wine was surprisingly good, live music on the weekend during the day. And a great jumping off point to mess around Banner Elk, Blowing Rock, Grandfather, the BRP, etc. Hiked a bunch, ate at Artisinal nearby which one of my top 5 favorite restaurants in NC, hit a couple breweries. Nice little mountain getaway.

cool will check out. our son will be at my in-laws' place in Blowing Rock that weekend and the aforementioned Chetola has availability but that's basically a mile from the in-laws and we def wanna get away.

I didn't realize the High Hampton Inn in Cashiers was so expensive, like $1200/night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back