• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

chat thread 2021: RIP Paul Mooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
but what you see on TV is pretty much the exact same thing every single time

swing in frame

ball in air

ball lands and rolls

could probably say that about a lot of sports at a surface level

We drove took a detour into North Dakota on our way to Glacier when I was in my early 20's just so my pops could say he's been to every state. I just have to check off Hawaii but poor.
That's what we're up to this summer. My dad's only got a couple of states left so we're doing a two week road trip all through the national parks. He's the kinda guy that's getting up at 4am to wait patiently until some random animal struts in front of his camera. But man he's got some incredible shots. And he knows the other ten birders that hang out in the parks every summer.

im trying to figure out what sport doesn't involve or rely on a set of specific heavily repeated rote activities

when I watch team sports, I can see so much more of what is going on on TV

when I watch tennis, I can see the whole court

when I watch a 100m dash, I can see all the athletes most of the time and see who is winning

when I watch golf, half the shot is a white ball against a blue background that could be a good or bad shot; similarly, you often can't even tell if a shot is good or bad from the actual swing -- all you get out of it is the result, not the process

it'd be like if you watched basketball zoomed in on one player and the hoop wasn't even in the frame until the ball reached the rim

i mean, maybe you can't tell if a shot is good or bad from the swing

like my dad doesn't know what a good attack looks like in soccer. yeah, a 360 nosegrab sort of looks the same every time but unless you're a skater or invested in the sport, you're not going to know how clean it was or hard it was to do/appreciate it.

I guess that's my point: there is a much great variety of moves in the x-games sports than there are golf swings and to an untrained eye, the former is way more interesting to watch irrespective of knowing how technically good it is

I lived in Roanoke for a year and it definitely sucks but you can be on the BRP in 10 minutes or the AT in 20 minutes. Of course that's true of tons of places in Western NC. Everything else about Roanoke makes you wonder why it exists. It does have a piddly little river though.

I guess that's my point: there is a much great variety of moves in the x-games sports than there are golf swings and to an untrained eye, the former is way more interesting to watch irrespective of knowing how technically good it is

So I have a trained eye for golf. Maybe you should either go play golf or ride your Razor Scooter down a metal bannister at the park to gain a greater appreciation for watching sports on TV.

I have been to 49 states. Adding number 50 this year. Recently hit Nebraska and North Dakota as 48 and 49. Nebraska does not seem to have much to offer. Mississippi, Indiana, Delaware, and a few others could be in that same bucket. Or I could be missing out on something.

The worst place I have lived, by far, is Roanoke. Even it has enough for a great long weekend. Wondering how anyone could not plan a great long weekend in Houston, Dallas, Phoenix...

Bro, my SIL lived in Roanoke for a couple of years. That place was the shit.

when I watch team sports, I can see so much more of what is going on on TV

when I watch tennis, I can see the whole court

when I watch a 100m dash, I can see all the athletes most of the time and see who is winning

when I watch golf, half the shot is a white ball against a blue background that could be a good or bad shot; similarly, you often can't even tell if a shot is good or bad from the actual swing -- all you get out of it is the result, not the process

it'd be like if you watched basketball zoomed in on one player and the hoop wasn't even in the frame until the ball reached the rim

I feel like almost every golf tournament these days has the majority of shots on shot tracer, which is awesome. And on short shots that aren't on tracer, you can see the pin/the entire shot anyways.

Golf is also way easier to casually observe while socializing, drinking beers, playing cornhole, etc. than most sports. Doesn't require much attention and is a good mix of peaceful/calming during early rounds and exciting during the final round. Can definitely see why it bores non-golfers though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back