• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

chat thread 2021: RIP Paul Mooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn’t we have a long convo on a ct over the summer about WAP?

Saying being present doesn’t seem like a controversial idea. If it’s the inconsequentiality of life aspect, that’s just meaning of life musings which for basically 100% of people and even biologically speaking it’s have a family, pass on, continue life.

Again, if you want to discuss your thoughts on my parenting, I'll do that with you in person. Not lectro vs racer. No threats. Just man to man to hear how you really feel about things, or if you're just trying to be a douche bag, which you are coming across as, IMO.

gossett right

there's def the kind of parent who is hyper-concerned about swear words in music (as an example) as a way to make up for not being around the kid most of the time

not attributing that to anyone here, just to say that it exists and is way more devastating imo

I love these kinds of discussions on the chat thread.

It helps to reinforce which posters like to have a good faith back and forth and which ones relish being obtuse and judgmental.

So when we talk about other stuff, I have a better idea of whom to engage with.

You're welcome.

the straw we laid at the end of last year created a ton of weeds instead of preventing them so that made for a not-so-fun opening day to the garden yesterday

Diggles, I hope your cruise is fun, but on my two trips to Croatia, the days in towns when the cruise ships were docked were just awful -- absolutely crammed with people

same with Plitvice once the tour buses arrived

I'd have to recommend going to Croatia offseason, all else equal -- it's become super popular and the crowds diminish the experience, imo

Yeah, the City came by and fixed a stretch of sidewalk and put down seed and straw where they had disturbed the lawn. I should have gone out and raked up the straw that day. Now I have hay growing next to the sidewalk.

In non-angry parenting advice. Anyone have a fix for getting unread emails notification to disappear when there are no unread emails to be found in gmail. The little 2 in my mailbox is driving me crazy (which I know some people have like 13922 on the mail icon, but I’m a purist)

Imagine being such a piece of shit that you try to explain to parents how they should parent their children. Get back with us when you have kid(s) of your own. If you want to have sit downs with your 3 year old explaining explicit lyrics then, well, that's just disgusting.

Lets be honest, no one is actually going to explain the lyrics of that song to their sub 8 year old kid. You're going with the wet cat approach or the "I don't know little birdgirl, I wasn't really listening" approach.

who here has CLEAR and how much better is it than TSA precheck?

I just reupped Global Entry/Precheck for the next four years and CLEAR at $180/year needs to be pretty gd good to get my attention

once work kicks back into gear, I imagine I'll fly 1.5/month -- maybe I can get work to pay for it

I'm just really depressed that I've leapt over the bar of angry old dude because I would ask a waiter if he could possibly turn down WAP while my family is eating lunch. I used to be cool, man.

We generally have to play instrumental versions of rap songs as our warm-up music in basketball because the olds get so up in arms about the edited versions, so maybe this area has tainted me.

Why can't they warm up to Tim McGraw or Mother's Finest ?

gossett right

there's def the kind of parent who is hyper-concerned about swear words in music (as an example) as a way to make up for not being around the kid most of the time

not attributing that to anyone here, just to say that it exists and is way more devastating imo

i think a lot of people, even parents of boys, are incredibly flip about sexualization of and around girls not to mention the constant hammer of 'gender roles'. Kids at age 2 are already talking about things that "boys/girls don't do" (be firefighters or superheroes).

it's not just a matter of 'having a conversation" with them about the birds and the bees. to parents of girls, there is a constant layer of bullshit you have to be on guard for/contextualize (or attempt to), unless you don't want them to participate in popular culture, which is obviously foolish.

I was totally about to call you out for a malapropism here and then I googled it and realized that I have been saying this incorrectly my entire life and I didn't need another reminder of the fact that I'm hella dumb this morning.

I'm just really depressed that I've leapt over the bar of angry old dude because I would ask a waiter if he could possibly turn down WAP while my family is eating lunch. I used to be cool, man.

We generally have to play instrumental versions of rap songs as our warm-up music in basketball because the olds get so up in arms about the edited versions, so maybe this area has tainted me.

Deep ceded, true confessions...

E0eCuPJXMAgz8_i

Lets be honest, no one is actually going to explain the lyrics of that song to their sub 8 year old kid. You're going with the wet cat approach or the "I don't know little birdgirl, I wasn't really listening" approach.

Seriously. This is the answer. For a three year old 95% of the time the words won’t even register and on the 5% chance they do and the even slimmer chance they ask, you just say I don’t know. What the hell are you guys fighting about this for creamy.

who here has CLEAR and how much better is it than TSA precheck?

I just reupped Global Entry/Precheck for the next four years and CLEAR at $180/year needs to be pretty gd good to get my attention

once work kicks back into gear, I imagine I'll fly 1.5/month -- maybe I can get work to pay for it

I think CLEAR is best if you're flying in and out of airports that have it. It's useless living in Asheville, where they finally opened a real pre-check lane just prior to the pandemic. Before you waited in the normal line like a rube and they gave you a card that said you didn't have to take your shoes off, laptop out, etc.

will be interesting to see its value now relative to when travel gets back to normal. personally even in airports with CLEAR I've never had to wait too long for the pre-check lane. Global Entry is 1000% worth it. dunno why anyone wouldn't get that at $100 vs $85 or whatever for just pre-check. Even if you take one international trip in that span it's worth $15 IMO.

In non-angry parenting advice. Anyone have a fix for getting unread emails notification to disappear when there are no unread emails to be found in gmail. The little 2 in my mailbox is driving me crazy (which I know some people have like 13922 on the mail icon, but I’m a purist)

check your non-gmail accounts? i have this problem and usually it's an email from a work or my garbage email account from like months ago

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back