• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

chat thread 2021: RIP Paul Mooney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kory

Reaction score
welcome to a new day

Last edited:
so juice tell me more about how your phone needs to listen to your conversation to serve you targeted ads.

this is always one of my favorite discussions with undergrads in mass comm

lately I've been getting a lot of IG ads for breweries I've never heard of. but they aren't general ads telling you to visit the brewery in whatever city. it'll just be a random post as if you already follow-them and know who they are. like "It's Tuesday night! Stop in for $3 pints of blah blah IPA."

This board's obsession with BiffTannen continues.

so juice tell me more about how your phone needs to listen to your conversation to serve you targeted ads.

it doesn't need to and it usually doesn't , but occasionally the ads are too spot-on to a very recent conversation that the only possible way is the listening

my googling seems to support that if I haven't turned off Siri (I don't think I have) then it's pretty plausible that it runs through the chain and spits out an ad

It's plausible, but the real answer is we don't know. I'm probably a bit biased since I'm really restrictive about data privacy settings and I've never seen an ad that made me think the phone is listening to me.

The scope and power of (Facebook, for example) ad algorithms are (still!) dramatically underexamined, underappreciated, and underrated though. So I think it's more likely that the force of the algorithm is shocking people at key moments into coming up with an explanation they don't have.

lately I've been getting a lot of IG ads for breweries I've never heard of. but they aren't general ads telling you to visit the brewery in whatever city. it'll just be a random post as if you already follow-them and know who they are. like "It's Tuesday night! Stop in for $3 pints of blah blah IPA."

Exact same for me. And they are always in strange locations that I’ve never been to before. So weird.

Exact same for me. And they are always in strange locations that I’ve never been to before. So weird.

yep. I always click bc I'm curious, which of course leads to me getting more. but they'll be in like some small town in Ohio or Missouri or something.

It's probably not a coincidence that in the list of conspiracy tropes, something listening in on you (imagined or not) is consistently up there as a way of making connections to give the world some meaning in difficult-to-comprehend situations.

I keep getting ads to become an investor in Island Brands. Brewery out of Charleston trying to make it big.

dv7 ponzi scheme is to sell our data to Instagram and Google.

okay, here is my question: if you get one type of bagel (same type for every bakery/grocery store/deli/etc., not picking one shop) for the rest of your life, is anyone not picking everything bagel?

It's plausible, but the real answer is we don't know. I'm probably a bit biased since I'm really restrictive about data privacy settings and I've never seen an ad that made me think the phone is listening to me.

The scope and power of (Facebook, for example) ad algorithms are (still!) dramatically underexamined, underappreciated, and underrated though. So I think it's more likely that the force of the algorithm is shocking people at key moments into coming up with an explanation they don't have.

I'm the opposite on privacy settings: just run with the default which I assume is the least private, not a best-practice, I imagine, but I'm ignorant and lazy

okay, here is my question: if you get one type of bagel (same type for every bakery/grocery store/deli/etc., not picking one shop) for the rest of your life, is anyone not picking everything bagel?

I’m not. Plain cream cheese on plain bagel. Yea, I’m a child.

Some porople don't like onions so they don't want an Everything.

Also, poppy sees make you test positive for opiods so no poppy seeds if you have to take a piss test.

I'm the opposite on privacy settings: just run with the default which I assume is the least private, not a best-practice, I imagine, but I'm ignorant and lazy

Oh yeah, then you're getting the full-weight of location-based, search result-based, relationship-based ad targeting. Google or Facebook or whatever tracks both of y'alls location and knows you just spent an hour with a friend who recently went took a trip to beautiful Charlotte oh and lookie here you travel a lot congrats you're getting ads to travel to Charlotte since the city is running a new ad campaign. Boom, Facebook brings people closer together now buy some shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back