• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

chat thread 2021: RIP Paul Mooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same goes for restaurant workers, just going to be rough trying to hire 50+ people like most decent sized restaurants need to do to open.

Think of the dumbest half of the kids you went to high school with, how much would you expect them to make?

taking out any ethical considerations, there are social consequences to high levels of inequality

Yeah because Uber drivers qualify for the max benefit. If you were previously making 3000/mo you'd only qualify for $347/week.

I'm fairly sure the fed $300 weekly boost isn't means tested. (it wasn't on its first round, and a quick search I don't see this round as being means tested either). It's just an extra $300 on top of what you'd get from the state. You need to make about $45k to get the max $450/week (which for now is $750/week). In your example above, someone making $3k/month previously is now making $647/week (or roughly the same as they were making while working). I don't get bent out of shape about it like republicans are because it's OK for the poors to benefit every once in awhile, god knows the rich have benefitted plenty. But there are some real "yo I can't catch an uber anymore" or now restaurants who were already fucked enough the past year and a half are still fucked because they can't staff up consequences.

Scrapping the PPP (giving money to business owners hoping it trickles down) and using those funds to just give everyone in the country $300/week and then clawing it back for people with taxable incomes over X when they filed their taxes in hindsight would have likely been the better play. Then the uber drivers get the $300/week and are still incentivized to work.

Last edited:
It would be cheaper for me to get my dog 2 first class seats to fly from Lisbon to Dallas than it is to have him shipped underneath the plane. He would probably enjoy it more as well.

When we were at the beach the bartender was talking about how short staffed they were and that they would get people signing up for interviews and not showing up because they just had to prove they were actively seeking work.

Make the jobs better (not just higher paying) and people will want to work. No need to put up with harassing bosses, shitty variable shifts, awful customers unless they absolutely have to to make ends meet.

Super random question. Anyone have any experiences with shark diving in Florida? I decided to tie my dive into our Disney trip in late July, and wondered if anyone had any insight on any of the operators. I've done a couple of shark dives before, but I've never had the opportunity to dive with Bulls, which are almost guaranteed with the operators around Jupiter. Any recs would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Make the jobs better (not just higher paying) and people will want to work. No need to put up with harassing bosses, shitty variable shifts, awful customers unless they absolutely have to to make ends meet.

No need to make ends meet if the federal and state government will combine to pay you enough money to sit on your ass all day and live at a subsistence level. Know what ? Even high paying jobs have obnoxious bosses, difficult hours, and awful customers.

Think of the dumbest half of the kids you went to high school with, how much would you expect them to make?

A living wage. Mainly so that I, Johnny taxpayer, doesn't have to subsidize their income for eternity. Nobody should be making under $30K/year if they are working full time. Nobody.

Also, I can't even get high and do my job.

Yes you could. I absolutely guarantee you that you could. I can't, but I bet 90% of this CT could do their current jobs while stoned.

Assuming of course they its not your first time and you have some sort of tolerance. Don't want you freaking out mannnnnnnn.

(I don't smoke weed, so I probably do not know what I'm talking about)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back