• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Opting Out

Damn, what a novel post that has never been expressed on this forum

Sorry they inconvenienced your football watching from the couch last fall

Worked out great for LSU receiver. He went 5th to the Bengals. Difference was he has 4.3 speed & Surratt got stoned by the DB’s at Senior Bowl when he showed he could get no separation.

Please don’t give 90s Deacs the reputation 80s Deacs have.

you look at Surratt's highlights and his abilities in contested jump balls was obvious, but he also had some speed in some highlights as well. He seems to have lost that, and as someone who used to be fast and no longer is I can relate!

If Jamie was hesitant to run he wasn't better than Sam. See the end of 2019 Where he wasn't very good at all the last several games.

If Jamie was hesitant to run he wasn't better than Sam. See the end of 2019 Where he wasn't very good at all the last several games.

Jamie was playing with a bad shoulder the last few games at Wake. Throwing and getting hit both hurt. But he was playing to preserve Sam's redshirt.

Sam was fine after clemson. He played in cuse msu and fsu and had one more game he could have played in

My 3 thoughts:

1- Newman showed poor decision making by transferring to UGA AND deciding not to play. Newman is a good player and a smart guy, but that threw up some red flags for GM's.

2- Sage was hurt by his poor 40 time and Lingering injuries. I personally do not think him opting out had much effect on his draft stock, but I could be wrong.

3- I'm cheering really hard for both guys. We had a lot of fun watching them play and they're good dudes who deserve nothing but the best.

I wish the best for all three players.

I'm not surprised Newman or Surratt were not drafted. Sage had nine games that he flashed NFL potential prior to an injury. A year later he practiced for all star game where he had difficulty gaining separation, then was injured again. Pro day numbers were disappointing. Newman had 12 games where he flashed NFL potential. His final four games as a Deacon he did not perform well. He choose to transfer from the school that provided him an opportunity to a school with a higher football profile. He then choose not to play for them. His all star game performance was just OK.

Football players play football. Sage and Jamie didn't. What have you done for me lately? Nothing. This may seem harsh, but the NFL values tough, productive football players. Question marks don't get drafted.

edit for correction.

Last edited:
Sage didn’t even play in the Senior Bowl. He just practiced.

Best quote of the season... "Football players play football".
I hope that sticks

Remember when Ph said Newman was a first round QB ?

Remember when Ph said Newman was a first round QB ?

Remember when experts were projecting Newman to be a Day 1 or 2 QB? Hell your team thought Newman could lead them to a national championship.

Then they found out what a total bitch he was. I thought all that talk was crazy at the time. Congrats on lighting up that NC State defense. He’s got a decent arm, but not really accurate, and not as good as Jordan Love’s. He’s also an idiot.

It takes a special kind of jackass to quit on two teams in nine months when they have both basically handed you the keys to their program and there are millions of dollars on the line for those teams and yourself. There is no doubt that factored into the draft day decision of 32 teams who don’t need a quitter in their quarterback room.

Back