• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Do You Live In A Political Bubble?

To be fair to jhmd and angus those guys, it’s got to really sting that Hillary goddamned Clinton was exactly right. I mean spot on.

and Obama too, with the clinging and the guns and whatnot. Yeesh

Pretty much.

To be fair to jhmd and angus those guys, it’s got to really sting that Hillary goddamned Clinton was exactly right. I mean spot on.

and Obama too, with the clinging and the guns and whatnot. Yeesh

Yep. Obama's "They get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations" is an even more accurate description of the GOP base than it was in 2008 when he first said it.

If this was true, how do you all ever lose anything?

More people have voted for the Democrat than the Republicans in 7 of the last 8 elections. Democrats only lose because of where voters live.

Yep. Obama's "They get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations" is an even more accurate description of the GOP base than it was in 2008 when he first said it.

A Black president made them really bitter.

Ignoring facts that don't fit the narrative? Now I have seen everything.

Let’s see. We’ve got a daughter of a former VP (who wasn’t invited to the most recent RNC) on the eve of being thrown out of her position as the 3rd highest ranking Republican in the House. And then the Republican nominee for president prior to Trump who also wasn’t invited to the convention.

And the GOP chair is the niece of that Republican nominee and she doesn't use the maiden name she shares with him.

White farmers. Black farmers got disproportionately less than white farmers. That’s why Republicans liked it.

Just came across this article today - a group of white farmers are suing the federal government for "race-based discrimination" - "alleging that the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA)’s loan forgiveness program for farmers of color is a violation under the Constitution." So white farmers received more aid than black farmers under Trump, and now that the Biden Administration is trying to give more money to minority farmers, some white farmers are suing with the complaint being that they are the ones being discriminated against.

Link: https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/black-farmer-discrimination-lawsuit-164229062.html

That’s the Republican game. Give benefits to “everyone” that disproportionately benefit white people. Then call any attempts to rectify it “reverse racism.” [insert inane Roberts quote here]

In this case, the Biden administration is doing a little bit to address centuries of discrimination against Black farmers that has dramatically shrunk the number of Black farmers and distributed Black wealth to white people.

I don't remember what article i read a week or so about this topic, but I think in the Biden plan, the overall money distribution was around 25% black farmers.

Now I have no clue what the rules are for who qualifies, and I don't know the demographic breakdown of farmers, but I wouldn't think 25% of money going to black farmers is some huge racism discrimination event. So I imagine this lawsuit is being pushed by some republican group backing the efforts as some more culture war B/S.

I don't remember what article i read a week or so about this topic, but I think in the Biden plan, the overall money distribution was around 25% black farmers.

Now I have no clue what the rules are for who qualifies, and I don't know the demographic breakdown of farmers, but I wouldn't think 25% of money going to black farmers is some huge racism discrimination event. So I imagine this lawsuit is being pushed by some republican group backing the efforts as some more culture war B/S.

According to the article, about 99.5% of the initial aid that the Trump Administration gave to farmers caught up in his trade wars went to white farmers. In 2020 an agency was set up to help farmers hurting due the effects of the covid pandemic. About 97% of that money went to white farmers, and white farmers on average received eight times more financial aid than black farmers. But according to this lawsuit, it's white farmers who are being discriminated against.

According to the article, about 99.5% of the initial aid that the Trump Administration gave to farmers caught up in his trade wars went to white farmers. In 2020 an agency was set up to help farmers hurting due the effects of the covid pandemic. About 97% of that money went to white farmers, and white farmers on average received eight times more financial aid than black farmers. But according to this lawsuit, it's white farmers who are being discriminated against.

The only thing I know about this issue is what I read in the article you posted, but the article says that .52% of American farmland is owned by Blacks and 1.3% of American farmers are Black. Thus, the benefit of the initial aid by race was distributed in almost exact proportionality to the land ownership by race, and the benefit of the COVID aid was in almost exact proportionality to the racial makeup of farmers. In fact, it was more skewed toward Black farmers, based solely on racial makeup. Yes, White farmers on average received 8x more than Black farmers, but that stat is meaningless (as are the ones above) without also knowing the size, scope, crop, debt, and profitability of the farm, among other things, which the article didn't provide, to allow for 1:1 comparisons to be made. On these facts--or, rather, lack of facts--you haven't made the case that the Trump administration discriminated in favor of White farmers, which I assume is the argument you are trying to make.

In short, you can't just stomp your foot and say "but White people got more money than Black people!!1!!" and conclude that discrimination is afoot.

Under the Biden USDA plan, Black and other minority farmers are, by law, eligible for billions of dollars in benefits--such as the ability to have 120% of their debt paid off--that white farmers are not eligible for based on nothing more than the color of their skin. That's racial discrimination, pure and simple. Whether the discrimination can be justified by past de jure discrimination against Black farmers is an issue I don't know enough about to opine on, but I do know that strict scrutiny poses an extraordinarily high bar, and this type of race-based set-aside doesn't strike me as the type of program that will survive constitutional review.

Let’s see. We’ve got a daughter of a former VP (who wasn’t invited to the most recent RNC) on the eve of being thrown out of her position as the 3rd highest ranking Republican in the House. And then the Republican nominee for president prior to Trump who also wasn’t invited to the convention.

Yeah you can remove Cheney from that list officially now.

Sheesh talk about ignoring facts that don’t fit the narrative jh. Your party is on a bridge pouring concrete on its own feet and you’re still insisting that they’re just going for a swim.

I don't believe we agree on what this word means. People vote for the GOP candidates to the General Assembly for plenty of reasons. Love for a former President isn't on that list.

You sad, naive fool. Trump loyalism is literally the only principle the GOP has left.

Well that and murder. You guys love it when 2nd amendment patriots shoot up public places. Particularly those liberal indoctrination centers known as schools.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/...rs-say-cheney-should-lose-leadership-position

FWIW, "The survey, which polled nearly 2,000 registered voters over the weekend, found that half of those who identified as Republican or “leans Republican” supported House Republicans voting to remove Cheney, while just 19 percent said she should remain in her post."

I think this is foolish, as stated, and while 50% is too high and 19% is too low, 50% is not a clear majority. It is half. There's an ideological struggle going on but the 50% polled who didn't support her ouster aren't outliers; that's the other half.

she was removed by voice vote. no need to tally up the #s since it wasn't close.

He also somehow came back less funny. Just Angus 2.0 now. The last half a decade hasn't been kind.

Meanwhile, you are your same charming self. Are you taking this mean girl act to the grave or are you ever going to turn it around?

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/...rs-say-cheney-should-lose-leadership-position

FWIW, "The survey, which polled nearly 2,000 registered voters over the weekend, found that half of those who identified as Republican or “leans Republican” supported House Republicans voting to remove Cheney, while just 19 percent said she should remain in her post."

I think this is foolish, as stated, and while 50% is too high and 19% is too low, 50% is not a clear majority. It is half. There's an ideological struggle going on but the 50% polled who didn't support her ouster aren't outliers; that's the other half.

What’s the ideological struggle? Remind me what else Republicans disagree with Cheney on, seems like she’s a pretty straightforward party member.

lol there is a struggle alright. You dipshits hooked your wagon to a populist buffoon and his base of deplorable whiners who asked for this and got what they wanted. I'm sorry for your loss, jh.

Back