• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Do You Live In A Political Bubble?

30909777d091b0480823f8b732f3325b.jpg

#suburbs

I question the accuracy of this given that 30% of registered voters in this county aren’t affiliated with either party. Plus I canvassed all D homes in my immediate neighborhood and it was < 50% of homes.

Last edited:
Your neighbors are a pretty diverse bunch, politically.
About 54 percent are Democrats, 46 percent are Republicans and less than 1 percent are independents.

My parents have 8% Democratic neighbors in SC.

Where I grew up in NJ was 71% Republican, which surprises me for NJ overall, but made sense once I thought about it.

Last edited:
Currently 3% Republican neighbors.

My old neighborhood in rural eastern PA=58% Republican.

4% Republican

Damn, thought I'd win

Eta: Parents home is 62% Republican, sister's is about split.

Last edited:
Nice!

Many of your neighbors — 69 percent — are Democrats. You don't quite live in a bubble, but we wouldn't say your neighbors are politically diverse, either.

Over 95% of neighbors falling into one of only 2 parties is diverse.

Not a bubble, but 72% Republican. The town I grew up in (NJ) is 62% Democrat.

I question the accuracy of this given that 30% of registered voters in this county aren’t affiliated with either party. Plus I canvassed all D homes in my immediate neighborhood and it was < 50% of homes.

Methodology: To make this interactive, we used a dataset containing the addresses and party identifications of 180 million registered voters in 2018. The data comes from L2, a company that gathers and sells publicly available voter registration records.

For voters who didn’t explicitly register as Democrats or Republicans, we estimated their partisan affiliation based on the ideological lean of the party they did register with and their voting history in primaries. In the absence of that information, we assigned parties based on voters’ demographics and precinct-level election results.

Voters who register with one of the major parties still sometimes vote for the opposing party's candidates in general elections. In Kentucky, for instance, it's likely that between a third and a fifth of registered Democrats voted for Donald Trump in 2016. To validate our partisanship estimates, we asked 10,000 voters which party they belonged to. Our estimates matched their responses 77 percent of the time.

Our analysis treats next-door neighbors the same as it does those who live at the outer edges of voters’ networks. When we took distance into account, each party’s isolation was even more pronounced.

Hmmm….seems a look unaffiliated folks might have been assigned a party.

50% Democratic
49% Republican
1% Independent

Not bad considering the surrounding counties but the death of the New Deal generation hurt that percentage a lot.

As I understand their stated methodology, many unaffiliated voters were assigned a party based on voting patterns…both theirs and their precinct’s.

So it’s an estimate based on some voting data, not how you and your neighbors are merely registered.

Last edited:
My current neighborhood is 60% Republican, which is about what I expected. It's pretty conservative overall but does have a good number of Democrats and liberals from the yard signs and other stuff I can see. My old hometown is about 77% Republican, which is actually lower than I remembered, or would have thought. I only remember knowing a handful of Democrats growing up.

Looks Ed up my hometown. It’s 83% republican, which actually seemed a bit low as my dad and his wife are the only Democrats I’ve ever met there.

Back