• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Do You Live In A Political Bubble?

The policy was and still is support the former orange shit stain of a President, that was the convention platform.

You may be right, but getting your butt kicked is a learning opportunity. I know a few Republicans. They aren't nearly as obsessed with Trump as you all seem to believe, especially as his influence recedes (and how could it not if they fail to retake the House or Senate in 2022)? Republicans and Democrats share the privilege of running against each other. Just stay still and the other side will inevitably mess the bed. It was the GOP's turn in 2016. It is somebody else's turn now.

Persuadable voters aren't going to ignore surging violent crime rates, public schools abdicating their responsibility for a year in the face of #science and rising tax rates. Those are going to be easy failures to run against.

I'm a Covid denier because I'm pointing out that Moms are pissed that public schools drug their feet to reopen? Step outside the bubble, buddy. There's a whole new world waiting for you.

Facebook-fed moms complaining about school shutdowns because they “did their own research” you mean?

Pandering to the lowest common denominator for cheap shots. I thought you were claiming the party was changing and they’d get a hangover from trumpism.

I have angry moms on my nextdoor arguing it’s child abuse to require kids to wear masks in schools. Are those the angry moms you’re referring to?

I know this is a small part of the overall argument here, but the vast majority of my friends with kids in Atlanta or Decatur public schools are super pissed that it took schools as long as they did to reopen and that their kids are still only in school 4 days a week or with a weird 7:45-11:15 schedule with virtual one day a week or in the afternoons. These are all people who are now vaccinated, were extremely cautious pre-vaccination (most exclusively used Instacart for groceries, some wouldn't even get takeout) and insist on their kids wearing masks all the time when they are with other people (and do so themselves as well) - i.e., very much not COVID deniers. They just realized after seeing the private schools open that the benefits of kids being in school (both for the kids and the parents, but mostly for the kids) outweigh the risks (assuming masks are required and other appropriate protective measures are taken). A good number of them went through the private school application process this winter/spring to make sure their kids are back full time come August (I think the public schools in the Atlanta area will be, but in December/January, when the private school application process started, I wouldn't have said the same thing). I don't have kids, so I don't have a dog in the fight, but I definitely understand where they are coming from.

Based on the Times website, I live in a Democratic bubble. Only 15 percent of my neighbors are Republicans. And I am about 99% sure all of the folks I am talking about voted for Biden (though some have probably voted R in the past). I don't think this will be the issue that will sway any of them into (or back to) voting R and CERTAINLY not for Trump-type Rs, but I think 06 is underestimating the level of frustration with public schools from people who are very far from COVID deniers.

Would love to discuss some GOP policy in good faith. Sadly, the GOP has nothing besides fear mongering and power grabbing.

All the good faith Republicans from years past on the Tunnels aren't Republicans anymore.

I know this is a small part of the overall argument here, but the vast majority of my friends with kids in Atlanta or Decatur public schools are super pissed that it took schools as long as they did to reopen and that their kids are still only in school 4 days a week or with a weird 7:45-11:15 schedule with virtual one day a week or in the afternoons. These are all people who are now vaccinated, were extremely cautious pre-vaccination (most exclusively used Instacart for groceries, some wouldn't even get takeout) and insist on their kids wearing masks all the time when they are with other people (and do so themselves as well) - i.e., very much not COVID deniers. They just realized after seeing the private schools open that the benefits of kids being in school (both for the kids and the parents, but mostly for the kids) outweigh the risks (assuming masks are required and other appropriate protective measures are taken). A good number of them went through the private school application process this winter/spring to make sure their kids are back full time come August (I think the public schools in the Atlanta area will be, but in December/January, when the private school application process started, I wouldn't have said the same thing). I don't have kids, so I don't have a dog in the fight, but I definitely understand where they are coming from.

Based on the Times website, I live in a Democratic bubble. Only 15 percent of my neighbors are Republicans. And I am about 99% sure all of the folks I am talking about voted for Biden (though some have probably voted R in the past). I don't think this will be the issue that will sway any of them into (or back to) voting R and CERTAINLY not for Trump-type Rs, but I think 06 is underestimating the level of frustration with public schools from people who are very far from COVID deniers.

I’m not saying the frustration doesn’t exist. I have school age kids as well. I get it. I’m saying that the GOP is not and was not proposing a reasonable solution for the frustration. Stomping your feet and demanding reopening while changing nothing and denying there are risks is not a solution.

Put simply, a GOP campaign message is not going to target those folks. It’s going to target the deniers.

Well, the Charlotte-Mecklenburg school board is dominated by Democrats, many of whom supported reopening, but it was a couple of fear mongering lunatics who kept schools in this county closed down until the Republican General Assembly mandated reopening.

Too bad, if it was gop controlled it could have been open the whole time as if nothing had changed.

All the good faith Republicans from years past on the Tunnels aren't Republicans anymore.

I resemble that remark. Nor am I a Dem. I'm officially ambivalent.

Perfect example of Pub idiocy; dumping House Leader Cheney because of her views on Dump. Talk about a Party with their heads in the sand.

Last edited:
I’m not saying the frustration doesn’t exist. I have school age kids as well. I get it. I’m saying that the GOP is not and was not proposing a reasonable solution for the frustration. Stomping your feet and demanding reopening while changing nothing and denying there are risks is not a solution.

Put simply, a GOP campaign message is not going to target those folks. It’s going to target the deniers.

Agreed.

No party or person is going to get everything right all the time.

Or say or do the right thing.

Question for me is who is better recognizing/articulating actual problems and offerings solutions or policy that will tend to at least in some measure address and mitigate the problems?

Over time, particularly the past decade or so, the answer clearly (for me) is not Republicans or conservatives.

No party or person is going to get everything right all the time.

Or say or do the right thing.

Question for me is who is better recognizing/articulating actual problems and offerings solutions or policy that will tend to at least in some measure address and mitigate the problems?

Over time, particularly the past decade or so, the answer clearly (for me) is not Republicans or conservatives.

Republicans create problems from nothing and blame democrats for not fixing them.

Republicans create problems from nothing and blame democrats for not fixing them.

Well said. Or they exaggerate long-existing problems that Republicans have made worse (i.e. immigration, debt) and blame Democrats when they get into office.

Well said. Or they exaggerate long-existing problems that Republicans have made worse (i.e. immigration, debt) and blame Democrats when they get into office.

And of course, every solution offered by Dems to fix any problem ever is labeled as fascist or communist or both.

If you demonstrate honesty and speak the truth, Republicans will call you a communist.

See Mitt Romney.

Back