• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Do You Live In A Political Bubble?

53% republican

Granted, my wife and I are registered Republicans but voted straight ticket dem this past election, and we have some friends who did the same, so I'm sure the numbers are 100% accurate.

Pretty sure the map/results are estimates based on voting patterns, not party registration.

Definitely not 100 percent accurate (however defined).

This tool got my hometown WAY off. 18% Republican they say. This is the same county that voted over 90% for Question one a few years ago, I think it was the highest in the state and went 64% for Trump in 2020. I can't imagine what possible criteria could be used to get this small town in Columbus Co to 18%.

jhmd, do you think Biden truly won the election or do you agree with 70% of your party who thinks Trump truly won?

Good luck getting a simple yes/no out of him on this.

Pretty sure the map/results are estimates based on voting patterns, not party registration.

Then it’s no different than precinct results.

jhmd, do you think Biden truly won the election or do you agree with 70% of your party who thinks Trump truly won?

Biden won the Presidency in 2020, fair and square. You won't get any crying from me.

Who do you think won the Presidency in 2016?

Then it’s no different than precinct results.

Rechecking the stated methodology again, it seems they did use party registration affiliation and for those not identifying as R or D…

For voters who didn’t explicitly register as Democrats or Republicans, we estimated their partisan affiliation based on the ideological lean of the party they did register with and their voting history in primaries. In the absence of that information, we assigned parties based on voters’ demographics and precinct-level election results.

They acknowledge that people don’t always vote their party…

Voters who register with one of the major parties still sometimes vote for the opposing party's candidates in general elections. In Kentucky, for instance, it's likely that between a third and a fifth of registered Democrats voted for Donald Trump in 2016. To validate our partisanship estimates, we asked 10,000 voters which party they belonged to. Our estimates matched their responses 77 percent of the time.

Also that their analysis of the diversity estimates are likely in many places skewed towards increased diversity that would be less if a geographic grouping smaller than 1000 nearest voters were considered….

Our analysis treats next-door neighbors the same as it does those who live at the outer edges of voters’ networks. When we took distance into account, each party’s isolation was even more pronounced.

Anyhow, it’s not perfect. But an estimate.

“100%D” -Diggler

giphy.gif

50D/48R/2I for me. However, during the last election there were at least 20 Biden signs for every one Trump sign in my 6 x 6 block or so area. A lot less Hillary signs the election before that. My guess is there are a lot of middle of the road / non-Fox News watching people registered as R who knew that Trump was a moron.

50D/48R/2I for me. However, during the last election there were at least 20 Biden signs for every one Trump sign in my 6 x 6 block or so area. A lot less Hillary signs the election before that. My guess is there are a lot of middle of the road / non-Fox News watching people registered as R who knew that Trump was a moron.

With a name like that, this is your thread (and this is definitely your Forum).

Traditional Republicans have to decide that. Trump's electoral juice was an intoxicant. People got power drunk. The hangover is just starting to kick in, as Biden enacts a progressive agenda. That's going to sting. My hope is that Republicans learn that the hangover wasn't worth the debauchery. We'll see.

Seems that McCarthy’s recent comments on Cheney don’t exactly support your hopes for the near future of the GOP. If you stay in that party they’re going to force feed you trumpism.

Seems that McCarthy’s recent comments on Cheney don’t exactly support your hopes for the near future of the GOP. If you stay in that party they’re going to force feed you trumpism.

You may be right, but getting your butt kicked is a learning opportunity. I know a few Republicans. They aren't nearly as obsessed with Trump as you all seem to believe, especially as his influence recedes (and how could it not if they fail to retake the House or Senate in 2022)? Republicans and Democrats share the privilege of running against each other. Just stay still and the other side will inevitably mess the bed. It was the GOP's turn in 2016. It is somebody else's turn now.

Persuadable voters aren't going to ignore surging violent crime rates, public schools abdicating their responsibility for a year in the face of #science and rising tax rates. Those are going to be easy failures to run against.

So you’re a covid truther too. Great. Never let a crisis go to waste when we can try to spin it to win seats right?

The bad faith of your pre-scripted “easy failures to run against” makes me question your insistence that you’re not part of the Trump wing. Your presumed higher brow version will still have no policy positions or options. Just pointing to symptoms of complex problems and cheaply blaming the other guy. Pandering to the lowest common denominator.

Back