• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cancel culture & Wingate Hall

I wonder if WakeBored is really upset by Twitter suspending Chuck Modi.

it is getting pretty difficult to converse with the woke, they have created an alternate, largely false, "reality" for themselves, which they then try to impose on everyone else

the common interest demands that the woke fail, no one has a monopoly on the truth, especially not the woke

Last edited:
what does JH think "investigation" means?

We have process to avoid doing the right thing in the wrong way. The goal is to do the right thing the right way.

It's what responsible people in leadership would do before bending to the emotional demands of an angry mob. An "investigation" would involve a simple inquiry into what the person meant when they said what they said. We might even get wild and get to the underlying facts. You could say "This group of students is consistently struggling in this subject area. Not all of these students, but too many." without malicious intent and maybe even with constructive intent.. It is precisely the thing you would say before you say "I'd like to find out why and what we can do about it?". You don't always have to presume hateful intent about everyone else all of the time.

Minimal adherence to some form of process is as important for the next person (who might have constructive intent) even if this person didn't (assuming the worst, as some of you have). What message do you send to the next professor: if you see something, whatever you do don't say something? Awesome approach to problem solving, if so.

“So, Dr, tell us what you really meant by “some of them are really good ones”...wait, that sounds really bad...it doesn’t really matter what your original intent was because there is no way we can put you in a class room with black students again...investigation over, I guess.”

Try a different example to vilify the woke meanies because this an open and shut case. Any professor caught on video saying some of them are good ones, about any class of student, cannot be put back in the classroom with that class of student.

it is getting pretty difficult to converse with the Trumpublicans, they have created an alternate, largely false, "reality" for themselves, which they then try to impose on everyone else

the common interest demands that the woke fail, no one has a monopoly on the truth, especially not the woke

FIFY

I haven’t followed this thread but “mean woke” is one of the more goddamn lame whines I’ve heard on here. Get some pride.

I haven’t followed this thread but “mean woke” is one of the more goddamn lame whines I’ve heard on here. Get some pride.

Not only lame, but confusing because it also reads as the mean woke -- like average woke or median woke. How about we stop trying to make "mean woke" happen, or even just "woke" because its just such a dumb MAGA, lil Donnie term.

Petition against the new name has over 1,000 signatures.

https://journalnow.com/news/local/e...cle_6d36cbda-b978-11eb-a7cf-fbfae40ea956.html

Chloe Baker, the rising senior at Wake Forest who started the petition, said the university is correct to want to rename the building but it should pick another name.

“As a student of color at Wake, I am not looking for a reminder of the day people that looked like my family and me were bought and sold in such an inhumane and disgusting manner,” Baker wrote in the petition posted at change.org.

“By deciding to name the Hall after the date Wingate allowed the sale to take place, administration is memorializing the exact reason they decided to take his name down in the first place. The administration is putting up a constant reminder of racial trauma for black Wake Forest students as if being black at Wake Forest isn’t already hard enough.”

There is a fine line between asking people to face painful truths and forcing people to re-live or newly experience trauma.

The argument of the petition is similar to the reaction that it sounds like a lot of us had when first hearing the announcement: that memorializing slavery in such an immediate and visible way might be harmful (and that we're already discussing nicknames for the building suggests that the impact of the naming might be reduced sooner rather than later).

The whole thing makes me kind of uncomfortable, but I suppose that is the point. I'm sure the administration listened to student leaders and the community before making the decision, but who knows if they actually heeded their advice.

Agreed. They could name it after the date Ed Reynolds was admitted to Wake but then the focus would be what Wake did right as opposed to what Wake did wrong and still needs to do right.

Is it more important for social progress to make the majority uncomfortable or to make the minority comfortable?

I’m honestly not sure. The name is a bold move that will make different people upset for different reasons. And yet that doesn’t mean it should be changed.

The best thing about the name is that it prompts discussion and education about the history associated with the school. I don’t feel very strongly about the name itself, one way or the other, but I think in some ways it’s already serving it’s purpose.

The best thing about the name is that it prompts discussion and education about the history associated with the school. I don’t feel very strongly about the name itself, one way or the other, but I think in some ways it’s already serving it’s purpose.

Agree - I learned something I did not know about Wake

Is it more important for social progress to make the majority uncomfortable or to make the minority comfortable?

I’m honestly not sure. The name is a bold move that will make different people upset for different reasons. And yet that doesn’t mean it should be changed.

Isn’t the argurment that it makes minorities feel uncomfortable?

It should make everyone uncomfortable…?

Pretty atypical purpose for naming a college building.

But beyond prompting discomfort, I think the intention is to honor those people who suffered unjustly and unwillingly for the benefit of the school.

Isn’t the argurment that it makes minorities feel uncomfortable?

Yes.

My point was that the current name is intended to make the majority uncomfortable, with the side effect that it also could also be uncomfortable for the minority. I think it’s valid to ask whether that trade off is worth it for the sake of making the majority reflect and educate themselves.

Back