• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cancel culture & Wingate Hall

Could there be better evidence that this appropriately addresses our racist past than it irritating one of our resident racists?

I hope to enjoy watching the white supremacists continuing to lose their positions of power. These types of events are really uncomfortable for them.

I thought that message was surprisingly well-crafted.

Total crap & a sellout by the Trustees! Trying to cancel a long ago past. Is UVa going to cancel Thomas Jefferson for all he did for the state of Virginia, America and the founding of the University of Virginia? I sure hope not.

Hopefully. Any person who is willing to enslave (which means torture/rape/murder) other human beings and treat them like animals, is human filth.

Objectively, our slave holding founding fathers were sadistic garbage people. Bonus points for being a real shithead if you played God and waited to free your slaves after you died.

Last edited:
Hopefully. Any person who is willing to enslave (which means torture/rape/murder) other human beings and treat them like animals, is human filth.

Objectively, our slave holding founding fathers were sadistic garbage people. Bonus points for being a real shithead if you played God and waited to free your slaves after you died.

When’s the last time ya hopped in a uber knowing the dude was making a net $3/hour once ya factor in the miles he’s putting on his car?

It’s pretty amazing how people who hate government and politicians in 2021 deify politicians from 1776 and the government they created.

I just want to add that I think this is a great idea and I agree that the name is a really clever way to get people talking about the abhorrent past.

I want to add my voice to those who initially questioned the wisdom of naming a building after a date, especially one that commemorates the sale of human beings as property.

And like all of you, I followed immediately the same thought process. No whitewashing history here. And if I recall, Wingate houses the religion department, where I imagine conversations are already ongoing about the role of American slavery in building our institutions, great and small.

Has any other university faced their history of benefiting from slavery in quite this way? Even something institutional like the Jesuit reparations have a limited window.

Seems like each university comes to their own way to do this. I don’t think there’s a standard. Definitely haven’t heard of a date.

Well the reckoning certainly looks a little different if you're, like, UVA or...Washington and Lee.

From this article: Cancel culture goes back to at least 1856.
In 1856, during the second year of Wingate’s presidency, Wake Forest trustees repudiated Francis Wayland’s opposition to slavery by eliminating his widely used study, The Elements of Moral Science, as an acceptable text for college classes. The book condemned slavery as un-Christian and became a staple of abolitionist resources.[5] Since Wingate was professor of moral and intellectual philosophy and rhetoric, it must be supposed that he participated in or at least acquiesced to that decision.

Cancel culture & Wingate Hall

read 923's post, if you can

Your post could be read to mean the changing the name of Wingate Hall is censorship akin to the banning of a book in 1856. Maybe that’s not what you intended though.

Back