• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cancel culture & Wingate Hall

Your post could be read to mean the changing the name of Wingate Hall is censorship akin to the banning of a book in 1856. Maybe that’s not what you intended though.

Only if you are in the grip of a hopelessly woke ideology that interferes with your ability to read and understand simple ordinary posts.

Only if you are in the grip of a hopelessly woke ideology that interferes with your ability to read and understand simple ordinary posts.

No, I think it’s because you usually post really stupid stuff that people are just expecting more stupid stuff.

stupid people expect stupid stuff, that's all they "understand"

intelligent thoughtful people, unencumbered by mindless and hopeless ideologies, read and understand what has been stated

stupid people expect stupid stuff, that's all they "understand"

intelligent thoughtful people, unencumbered by mindless and hopeless ideologies, read and understand what has been stated

Yeah no, that’s not it. Expectation is typically built on past experience. We’ve all experienced your posts and have come to expect certain content and intelligence. Anyway good to know you were just condemning censorship. Good job sailor, I agree with your opinion.

I generally think most things done in the name of wokeness are stupid, but this is pretty cool. I like it.

And the nickname for the building has got to be the Rollin 60s.

Yeah no, that’s not it. Expectation is typically built on past experience. We’ve all experienced your posts and have come to expect certain content and intelligence. Anyway good to know you were just condemning censorship. Good job sailor, I agree with your opinion.

you have a strange way of showing your agreement, i.e., first, you produce an obviously contorted misunderstanding, then you claim to agree, despite your original incoherent interpretation

glad to have been able to help, now dump your current ideology and begin to see things much clearer, your understanding will grow by leaps and bounds

I really enjoyed listening to John McWhorter on Bill Maher Friday night. He made a point that there’s nothing wrong with “wokeness” per se; it’s the mean woke that are the problem. This strikes me as a respectful way of acknowledging what occurred and promoting discussion of it. The commenters on Instagram mostly disagreed, which isn’t entirely shocking. It seems that no decision is ever right to the “mean woke” crowd if made by any establishment, meanwhile no action or feeling from within that crowd can be criticized.

I do think there’s a serious issue with censorship from the far left, but I can’t find it here.

Cancel culture & Wingate Hall

Who are the “mean woke?” Isn’t that just what a fragile white person calls people who dare to challenge white supremacy?

Last edited:
This is obviously a very complex decision but I like it and i like that it will most likely spur more discussion about it in future generations. The fact that it upsets Reff and sailor is just a star on top that proves it was a good idea.

Who are the “mean woke?” Isn’t that just what a fragile white person calls people who dare to challenge white supremacy?

I think it refers to those who accuse people of being racist or label their comments as racist when they are, in fact, not.

That’s not much different than what I said. A white person who thinks they are the arbiter of what is “racist” and someone else isn’t is probably pretty fragile.

you have a strange way of showing your agreement, i.e., first, you produce an obviously contorted misunderstanding, then you claim to agree, despite your original incoherent interpretation

glad to have been able to help, now dump your current ideology and begin to see things much clearer, your understanding will grow by leaps and bounds

See, you often post stupid stuff that that’s the kind of thing most of us are expecting.

I would say that the person making the accusation has the burden of proof.

I would say that the person making the accusation has the burden of proof.

How do you prove that to someone who knows they’re not “a racist?”

I’m not entirely sure what you are asking. What I’m thinking of is a situation where a professor, for example, is accused of engaging in racist speech. The burden is on the accuser, no?

I’m not entirely sure what you are asking. What I’m thinking of is a situation where a professor, for example, is accused of engaging in racist speech. The burden is on the accuser, no?

The problem is that when people are accused of racist speech or racist actions, they panic and shut down all conversation, because they think they are being called a racist person (which is the WORST thing imaginable! Even worse than upholding a demonstrably racist status quo!). But they are often not being accuse of being a racist person, they are being accused of a person using racist speech or racist actions. Those are not the same things. A person can change their speech and their actions.

If a professor was accused of engaging in racist speech, they should hear out their accuser and then do some reflection as to why someone would interpret their speech as racist. If they come to the conclusion "everyone is too sensitive" then they are not very good at self reflection.

Back