• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cancel culture & Wingate Hall

LOL wow you are dumb one

I was taught that John Brown was a bad person. That the South had many "legitimate" reasons for fighting for secession and that slavery wasn't the main reason. And that we're a capitalist nation even though our government provides trillions in corporate welfare. And that our slave holding founding founders cared for their slaves.

If that's not Soviet style propaganda that I don't know what is.

Not to mention that Fox News is run like a Russian style propaganda network. Pretty fucking rich for them to publish that article.

You’re not operating in good faith. We spent a whole evening in which you defined “mean woke” one way and then completely redefined it around a situation that didn’t fit your definition. You aren’t addressing my questions, points, or information. You’re completely set in your opinion which is ironically something isn’t racist unless a party can be convinced it’s racist. You didn’t even offer a “point still stands” when shown you were wrong about the grading scheme of the class.

This professor said on camera during an evaluation of a Black student that Black students typically get worse evaluations in her class. She’s not a passive observer. It’s more likely her evaluations are biased than Black students are just the worst students in her class almost every year for 18 years.

This is not my opinion. My opinion is that if someone accuses another person of making racist speech, the accuser bears responsibility for establishing that it was actually racist. I don't mean literally in a court of law. I mean in a private interaction, to an employer, to a school board, whatever. It's not a controversial opinion. The accuser can always choose to think and gather information before making the accusation.

LOL wow you are dumb one

I was taught that John Brown was a bad person. That the South had many "legitimate" reasons for fighting for secession and that slavery wasn't the main reason. And that we're a capitalist nation even though our government provides trillions in corporate welfare. And that our slave holding founding founders cared for their slaves.

If that's not Soviet style propaganda that I don't know what is.

Not to mention that Fox News is run like a Russian style propaganda network. Pretty fucking rich for them to publish that article.

You are right, you don't know what Soviet-style propaganda is. In fact, you know nothing about it. Your entire post reeks of ignorance. Stop pontificating on subjects you know nothing about.

This is not my opinion. My opinion is that if someone accuses another person of making racist speech, the accuser bears responsibility for establishing that it was actually racist. I don't mean literally in a court of law. I mean in a private interaction, to an employer, to a school board, whatever. It's not a controversial opinion. The accuser can always choose to think and gather information before making the accusation.

And in this situation, dozens of student groups established it and the employer agreed. Yet you think it was “mean woke” because you aren’t convinced.

Obviously, birdman is right in that adjunct status plays a huge role here and made the decision easier for the administration.

Cancel culture & Wingate Hall

You are right, you don't know what Soviet-style propaganda is. In fact, you know nothing about it. Your entire post reeks of ignorance. Stop pontificating on subjects you know nothing about.

Top response from our Seb Gorka wannabe

Last edited:
My understanding is that the comments weren’t about any exams. The comments seemed to be about the evaluations that the professors were conducting at the time.

So am I correct that you find it more plausible that Black students had the lowest grades every year than that the professors were biased in their grading?

Now we're getting to the truly interesting part of the discussion. Why did the professors notice what they noticed? Logically, I think there are two possibilities. First, the professors were wrong and the trend does not exist. I would be inclined to find bias of a different nature if that were the case, but it ends this discussion since it would establish that the phenomena does not exist. I would suggest proceeding under the assumption that the trend exists at Georgetown.

I read as much as I could find on this particular case before drawing my conclusions. I have not studied this topic in detail, so I have relied upon a variety of articles with differing perspectives, as well as my own view of the video several times and the transcript of what was actually said. This article provides several explanations: https://reason.com/volokh/2021/03/11/adjunct-law-professor-fired-for-saying-to-colleague-a-lot-of-my-lower-graded-students-are-blacks/

Affirmative action is one explanation mentioned in that article. It makes sense. If GPA and the LSAT are indicators of law school success, than those with lower scores compared to their peers will, broadly speaking, perform at a lower level. The article affirms that this has nothing to do with race: "virtually all of the black-white grade gap disappeared when one controlled for LSAT scores and undergraduate grades." Meaning, if the black students who received acceptance to Georgetown went to schools where their GPA and LSAT aligned more closely to the median, perhaps schools like Wake and UNC, you would expect this trend to disappear.

Stereotype threat is also mentioned as a possible explanation. I think that is also reasonable. In law school, especially the first year, professors make frequent use of the Socratic method. I'm sure that I asked some dumb questions and made some dumb answers. However, I never once worried that people would hear my dumb question/answer and think "he's here because of affirmative action." This concept could actually help explain why black students' grades were lower in a class where participation is accounted for (which was not an uncommon grading practice in my experience).

I tend not to share much about my personal life, but my wife was a minority law student for about half of our marriage so far. I know a little bit about how law school works, and I've had the chance to see some things differently through her perspective. I do not think for a second that a single grade she ever received was altered in any way by her race, positively or negatively. However, I would understand if she experienced hesitation before speaking up in class in a way that I never did.

So am I correct that you find it more plausible that Black students had the lowest grades every year than that the professors were biased in their grading?

Black law students consistently do poorly compared to their white counterparts despite the fact law school grading is typically blind:

[T]he average black student gets lower grades than white students: 52 percent of black students are in the bottom 10th of their first-year law school classes, while only 8 percent are in the top half. And the grades of black students drop slightly in relative terms from the first year of law school to the third.

https://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/13/weekinreview/for-blacks-in-law-school-can-less-be-more.html

This shouldn't come as a huge surprise to anyone who is paying attention. In fact, it's the most logical outcome of affirmative action in law school admissions.

One additional point. Shouldn't those who were accusing these professors of racism have taken a moment to ask: (1) does this trend that they are discussing exist elsewhere? and (2) why does it exist? before calling for them to be fired and labeled racists?

That is the mean woke mob.

One additional point. Shouldn't those who were accusing these professors of racism have taken a moment to ask: (1) does this trend that they are discussing exist elsewhere? and (2) why does it exist? before calling for them to be fired and labeled racists?

That is the mean woke mob.

Was that up to the accusers or was that up to the institutions doing the evaluation?

Unfortunately for you, no matter how you try to label my post, it remains true.

170405-sebastian-gorka-mn-1330_df6cf0bbd1a1ca52874a53d3fa8a7f99.fit-560w.jpg

Sweet Nazi flair Seb

Last edited:
PhDeac's earlier hypothetical conversation seems cut and dry and 100 percent logical in simple context. However, the person being accused can be the victim if the other individual is unrealistically vulnerable to any negative comments or if they have motive to falsely accuse the other person of hurting them verbally or physically. What if they are really thin skinned and the accusations hurt the accused more than the accuser? It's easy to believe the accuser until one day you are the accused. And yes, I get nobody can judge how comments may affect one person more than the other but their needs to be a standard to what is considered offense enough to cause outcry.

I really enjoyed listening to John McWhorter on Bill Maher Friday night. He made a point that there’s nothing wrong with “wokeness” per se; it’s the mean woke that are the problem. This strikes me as a respectful way of acknowledging what occurred and promoting discussion of it. The commenters on Instagram mostly disagreed, which isn’t entirely shocking. It seems that no decision is ever right to the “mean woke” crowd if made by any establishment, meanwhile no action or feeling from within that crowd can be criticized.

I do think there’s a serious issue with censorship from the far left, but I can’t find it here.

oof mcwhorter

"In 2017, a Harvard study found that over 90% of the major TV news networks’ coverage of the Trump administration’s first 100 days was negative."

From sailor's article. I wonder if there might be a valid, common sense explanation for this phenomenon.

This is the equivalent of my uncle dismissing an article because it's from the new york times.

i mean, I read one of his books, the one on the silent black majority

he's a respectability politics extraordinaire

Last edited:
Back