• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cancel culture & Wingate Hall

I could definitely get behind Teague's Lookout Hall. A not so subtle shift from racism to misogyny.

No need to shift to misogyny. How many buildings on campus are named after women?

Giving Black students lower grades than their peers on a subjective assignment over 18 years.

I'll ask you the same question wakelaw13 won't answer. Which explanation is more likely over 18 years?

Two professors were biased against Black students

or

Black students were almost always the worst students in this course.

i think his first post on the thread was hand-waiving it as the 2nd answer because...affirmative action is bad

I've just reviewed the G-Town law stuff and I don't know why it wouldn't be immediate termination based just on the comments in the video.

It also sounds like school leadership just sat on it for awhile; hence the call for no further delay in making a termination decision. I also read that the professor was discussing the performance of the only black student in her class, and then decided to make these sweeping generalization of all black students except for "some really good ones" -- sorry, there's no excuse for not knowing that you can't say shit like that. And the professor knows that and acknowledged it (and was going to resign in any event).

There's no need to investigate because the video itself is more than sufficient. Based on what I read, a large part of the final grade was based on class, so there's really no way to audit in any event, and the subjectivity/discretion lends more credence to the idea that the professor was consciously or unconsciously being biased.

Giving Black students lower grades than their peers on a subjective assignment over 18 years.

I'll ask you the same question wakelaw13 won't answer. Which explanation is more likely over 18 years?

or

I won't answer your question? I guess the five paragraph answer I gave in post #107 wasn't good enough?

It was a taped confession. What was there to investigate? What do you think an investigation would find?

Due process either applies or it doesn’t. Applying it universally ensures that it’s never denied. “Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.” I would hope that an institution tasked with teaching those principles would adhere to them.

Obviously, I understand that Georgetown law is a private institution and can terminate any employee at any time for cause.

I have not been able to find the full clip of the video and so I don’t have the full context of what was being said and without that I’m not comfortable passing judgment.

Kind of like when Kelly Loeffler was spending millions of dollars taking Ralph Warnock sermons out of context and bombarding the state of Georgia with them.

Not a due process issue if the termination is based on what was said in the tape. The tape is what it is, they reviewed it, they talked to her and the other professor on the tape, and then made a decision. That's called an investigation. There is no need (and likely no ability) to determine if her subjective grades over the years were biased.

or

If they said something that egregious (I will take you at your word because I haven't seen the tape), then a) there should be an investigation because that's what fair-minded people do, and b) it should be short and conclusive.

Did they really say that, that way?

Not a due process issue if the termination is based on what was said in the tape. The tape is what it is, they reviewed it, they talked to her and the other professor on the tape, and then made a decision. That's called an investigation. There is no need (and likely no ability) to determine if her subjective grades over the years were biased.

But that’s not what the BLSA tweet demanded. And that is my issue.

You are right, you don't know what Soviet-style propaganda is. In fact, you know nothing about it. Your entire post reeks of ignorance. Stop pontificating on subjects you know nothing about.

And you just compared an HR grievance process to the Holocaust.

If they said something that egregious (I will take you at your word because I haven't seen the tape), then a) there should be an investigation because that's what fair-minded people do, and b) it should be short and conclusive.

No, of course they didn't. Ph is getting looser with the facts as time goes on.

We need further investigation/a commission/etc by Conservatives = keep "investigating" until you do what we want

It is the same language that was used after Biden clearly won the election and every court room in America laughed Trump and his lawyers out of it. Remember when Ted Cruz wanted to delay the certification of the election and form a commission?

These professors were taped saying some racist shit. The school heard/saw the tape, talked to the professors, and then terminated them. That was the investigation.

What more of reasonable investigation was needed? Conservatives just want to be able to act like bigots with zero consequences. Because they are slime. Deplorables.

Last edited:
We need further investigation/a commission/etc by Conservatives = keep "investigating" until you do what we want

It is the same language that was used after Biden clearly won the election and every court room in America laughed Trump and his lawyers out of it. Remember when Ted Cruz wanted to delay the certification of the election and form a commission?

Yes, now all investigations are complete bullshit because that word was used by cynical lying cowards within the republican party. Good call.

Yes, now all investigations are complete bullshit because that word was used by cynical lying cowards within the republican party. Good call.

You caught me on the early post....

These professors were taped saying some racist shit. The school heard/saw the tape, talked to the professors, and then terminated them. That was the investigation.

What more of reasonable investigation was needed?

wakelaw, that's not a question that requires a 5 paragraph response. It's one or the other. You posted the question, "Why did the professors notice what they noticed?" You're saying two professors "noticed" Black students consistently get lower grades on an assignment they grade. That's like saying someone noticed a dead body while holding a smoking gun.

You mention affirmative action presumably as a rationale for saying Black students are systematically worse than White students. A university doesn't want professors who perpetuate stereotype threat by making comments like the one in the video.

I don't share too much about my personal life, but I have been a Black student or professor my whole life. I know a little about education. It's not like someone comes out and says "I gave you a lower grade because you're Black." White people seem to think that's how it works. It's not. It's seeing white people get opportunities and privileges you didn't know existed. That's why this video is a gut punch to Black students. Imagine being an Black alum and finding out that the grade you got in Due Process is the grade they've been giving to Black students this whole time.

Are you arguing that the two professors didn't give the grades? There was an investigation that consisted of talking to both professors. I guess it was short and conclusive and they made their decision.

wakelaw, that's not a question that requires a 5 paragraph response. It's one or the other. You posted the question, "Why did the professors notice what they noticed?" You're saying two professors "noticed" Black students consistently get lower grades on an assignment they grade. That's like saying someone noticed a dead body while holding a smoking gun.

You mention affirmative action presumably as a rationale for saying Black students are systematically worse than White students. A university doesn't want professors who perpetuate stereotype threat by making comments like the one in the video.

I don't share too much about my personal life, but I have been a Black student or professor my whole life. I know a little about education. It's not like someone comes out and says "I gave you a lower grade because you're Black." White people seem to think that's how it works. It's not. It's seeing white people get opportunities and privileges you didn't know existed. That's why this video is a gut punch to Black students. Imagine being an Black alum and finding out that the grade you got in Due Process is the grade they've been giving to Black students this whole time.

Are you arguing that the two professors didn't give the grades? There was an investigation that consisted of talking to both professors. I guess it was short and conclusive and they made their decision.

I wasn't making an argument. I was asking you what happened.

You caught me on the early post....

What more of reasonable investigation was needed?

At the risk of repeating myself over and over, I do not agree that it is racist to notice a trend and express angst and dismay at that phenomena. In my opinion, if a professor notices a trend of black students doing worse than white students and ignores it, they would be implying that it is to be expected or normal. In other words, not discussing this would be worse.

As to the investigation, why can't Georgetown simply compare grades given in this class to other similarly-graded courses? I'm sure that we would all want to know that information before calling for their careers to be ended.

What more of reasonable investigation was needed? Conservatives just want to be able to act like bigots with zero consequences. Because they are slime. Deplorables.

we're just asking questions, OK?

Back